Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Ya really think it makes a difference what shape ski Tabke is on?
    Touche...

I can't sort out sources & embedding - but there's a Dec 22 video on the Praxis Facebook page of Tabke working with Keith & co. on the new ski. Word is that it is about 115 underfoot and that Tabke wanted a reliable edge underfoot in variable conditions. I think that may be the only pair in the world so far - final design all of a month+ or so old.... Can't wait to see detailed specs. Granted he can ski a pari of sandals better than I can ski any ski - but I think Tabke proved them out pretty nicely. Seriously nice work.

The skis in the blog post pic look like Protests (which I believe Kevin and Sean were on in the comp - interestingly enough...)

Praxis BCs arrived at my door yesterday. I have to say that the construction just feels super nice. Definitely some of the highest quality sticks I've held. I'm really excited to get these out on some tours.

Questions for the masses, and I apologize if I missed these things somewhere else. 1) Does Keith usually ship boards waxed? Noticed a little wax residue on the edges. I was planning on waxing them myself, but if they're good to go... 2) What's the consensus on detuning? Tips/tails to the widest points? Or Tips/tails to start of rocker?

Want to ski. Want to ski. Want to ski...
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    I can't sort out sources & embedding - but there's a Dec 22 video on the Praxis Facebook page of Tabke working with Keith & co. on the new ski. Word is that it is about 115 underfoot and that Tabke wanted a reliable edge underfoot in variable conditions. I think that may be the only pair in the world so far - final design all of a month+ or so old.... Can't wait to see detailed specs. Granted he can ski a pari of sandals better than I can ski any ski - but I think Tabke proved them out pretty nicely. Seriously nice work.

The skis in the blog post pic look like Protests (which I believe Kevin and Sean were on in the comp - interestingly enough...)

A Tabke-tweaked Praxis RC112ish bomber would make my pants uncomfortably tight.

If they offer that in a mid 180s length I may have a problem on my hands.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    A Tabke-tweaked Praxis RC112ish bomber
    Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    Praxis BCs arrived at my door yesterday. I have to say that the construction just feels super nice. Definitely some of the highest quality sticks I've held. I'm really excited to get these out on some tours.

Questions for the masses, and I apologize if I missed these things somewhere else. 1) Does Keith usually ship boards waxed? Noticed a little wax residue on the edges. I was planning on waxing them myself, but if they're good to go... 2) What's the consensus on detuning? Tips/tails to the widest points? Or Tips/tails to start of rocker?

Want to ski. Want to ski. Want to ski...
    Praxis ship in supreme ready to ski condition. Some might say the edges are too sharp at the tips and tails particularly for powder and tapered skis. Go ski em and wax them in a week!

I typically have to de tune the hell out of the rockered sections upon arrival.

Also, having spoken to Tabke about skis, HE actually thinks it makes a difference what ski he's on. I'm not sure any of us mortals could tell, but he can. He always went with the rx previously because it was predictable and stable in various snow conditions. He claims the protest, pow, concept are all fun skis, but they aren't ideal comp skis. He would have a couple of turns that we're just perfect, but for the most part, he felt that the more experimental shapes were less predictable in varied snow. He's gotta send the comp course regardless of the snowpack. He actually gave props to the automatic for being a great comp ski because of its predictability and stability. It looks like he built some blend of the RPC and automatic.

I want a pair. Carbon please. 188-194 range.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Nice super pollo.

GPO = Global Powder Obliterator?

Narrower Ullr?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Please mid 180s I can already feel the money burning a hole in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I typically have to de tune the hell out of the rockered sections upon arrival.

Also, having spoken to Tabke about skis, HE actually thinks it makes a difference what ski he's on. I'm not sure any of us mortals could tell, but he can. He always went with the rx previously because it was predictable and stable in various snow conditions. He claims the protest, pow, concept are all fun skis, but they aren't ideal comp skis. He would have a couple of turns that we're just perfect, but for the most part, he felt that the more experimental shapes were less predictable in varied snow. He's gotta send the comp course regardless of the snowpack. He actually gave props to the automatic for being a great comp ski because of its predictability and stability. It looks like he built some blend of the RPC and automatic.

I want a pair. Carbon please. 188-194 range.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Great, now I have the temptation of the MVP (still waffling on what size) and the new GPO.

I have a slew of Praxis. It wouldn't be wrong to say if I had to have one ski in unpredictable varied conditions from crap to pow, it could be the Rx Powder.
    Last edited by Jim S; 01-16-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

A liitle birdy from incline village told me that the GPO dims were 140-115-128 with a radius coming in around 25m. Offered at 185 and 194. More info up on the praxis site in mid feb. I'm sold.

I'm going to just sound like a broken record and echo everyone else.

Want a 115 Tabke ski. 140-115-128 would be SiiiiiCK!

Crazy that they can make that a longer turn radius than the Automatic being 130/117/119 and a 19 m turn radius...? Seems like it should be a tighter turn radius with a bigger tip and tail.

OK I take it back, 140.5/ 117/ 129.5 are the dims of the Automatic. The above were from REI which is obviously wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

^^All about the taper baby.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by tpacent View Post
    A liitle birdy from incline village told me that the GPO dims were 140-115-128 with a radius coming in around 25m. Offered at 185 and 194. More info up on the praxis site in mid feb. I'm sold.
    Those measurements are pretty similar to the Rx Powder albeit with a shortern turning radius 141-116-128 radius 28, 32 for 179,189 lengths respectively or a fattened up Freeride.
    Last edited by Jim S; 01-16-2013 at 02:59 AM.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Awesome, a slightly downscaled squad 7 with decent construction and more backbone than an automatic. just what my 145lbs skinny cycling ass needs.

btw what's up with TGR ? all you guys asking for mid 180 skis ?

Due to no snow lately I haven't gotten out on my Pow Boards yet. What is the take on detuning on these? Gotta do something waiting for snow...

Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    Awesome, a slightly downscaled squad 7 with decent construction and more backbone than an automatic. just what my 145lbs skinny cycling ass needs.

btw what's up with TGR ? all you guys asking for mid 180 skis ?

I'm fkn 5'8" and 160. How big do you really have to think my dick is?!??
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Great, now I have the temptation of the MVP (still waffling on what size)
    LOVE mine. I got the 183 carbon and probably would love the 187.
    (also still questioning if the mount being -1 or 2 wouldn't be worth trying)

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    I'm fkn 5'8" and 160. How big do you really have to think my dick is?!??

i'm 5'9'', 145. I ski 180 bonafides in crap snow and ehp 186 in pow.
    I used to think my account here would get revoked when mentioning or even thinking about anything under 190.

At 6'2" and 190#, the Squad7 (190, but measures a 187?) has shown me that I do not need a 195+ ski to charge big lines in less than perfect snow. I am converted to having a shorter stiffish daily driver, and a longer slightly softer powder ski.

Any reviews of the 194 freeride in carbon? Any rocker pics?

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I picked up them up in the 184cm carbon, medium-stiff. I'm 6'0, 185lbs. Never been described as a finesse skier. Bomber construction. Have only five days on them and really digging them more and more. Resort use.
    Observations:
    1. A very small sweet spot, you really have to be "on".
    2. While the ski comes alive with speed, it doesn't like to be driven. I'm finding a more neutral stance is preferred.
    3. I wish it had just a bit more tail rocker.
    4. Changed the side bevel from one to two degrees. Seems to have helped.
    Just my hack opinion but there's not a lot of reviews out there, maybe this will start some.
    Have a buddy who is ex-national team member, I'm going to let him drive them and see what he thinks.
    The other ski I was considering was the Prior Husume. Keith's pricing won out.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamike View Post
    I picked up them up in the 184cm carbon, medium-stiff. I'm 6'0, 185lbs. Never been described as a finesse skier. Bomber construction. Have only five days on them and really digging them more and more. Resort use.
    Observations:
    1. A very small sweet spot, you really have to be "on".
    2. While the ski comes alive with speed, it doesn't like to be driven. I'm finding a more neutral stance is preferred.
    3. I wish it had just a bit more tail rocker.
    4. Changed the side bevel from one to two degrees. Seems to have helped.
    Just my hack opinion but there's not a lot of reviews out there, maybe this will start some.
    Have a buddy who is ex-national team member, I'm going to let him drive them and see what he thinks.
    The other ski I was considering was the Prior Husume. Keith's pricing won out.
    I'm going to take out my 184s this weekend. How do you think they compare to an XXL? I picked up a pair of stiff 184s to replace my 187 XXLs.

No idea, never been on the XXL.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Any reviews of the 194 freeride in carbon? Any rocker pics?

sent from the future using my mind powers
    I have Freeride 194, carbon medium-stiff. Pics to follow.
    Love them for firm days and crud: very powerful and smooth; fairly quicker turning than I had hoped. FOR ME the medium -stiff is less ideal than medium for powder days for this ski. But it's not my powder day ski. Feels like a better Buddha Explosive or like an older old orange Legend Pro but with better float and finesse..... lots of contact length on these.

6'2" 185 lbs

N1Ck, what's your height and weight re those 183 MVPs?