Small Outboard Motors

Figured I'd ask for thoughts here. I have had an Evenrude, Merc and honda and will admit I don't know shit about the works of these things. My knowledge goes as far as starting them. My current motor is a Mercury 3.5hp. It seems to cause enough problems that I can't fix that I am considering picking up a new, (or new used ), motor.

I am tending to lean toward a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke but mostly b/c I can get a great deal on a 1 yr old motor, not b/c I actually know the details. My use is limited to hanging it on a drift boat for lake use and some downhill river use.

The only limit I have is I need a motor 5hp or under. Preferably less hp due to weight.

Anyone like or dislike certain makes/models?

I can't remember who all uses them but Tohatsu makes a lot of the smaller outboards on the market for everyone including themselves, Merc, and Nissan that I can remember off the top of my head. Good for parts bad if you don't like your Merc. I've been happy with Evinrude's newer offerings of late, albeit in bigger sizing.

So have all small two strokes been discontinued? I have not bought one in 10 years. Bought a Honda 4 stroke that was a piece of junk. Oil pump issues. Bought a Johnson and have never had a problem. Only use it a couple of times a year and has set for a couple of years at a time without being run. Seems odd to discontinue the two strokes in the portable motor category.
    off your knees Louie

We switched to Yamaha's about 6 years ago and I have not worked on motors since. 2.5 and 3.5 hp. 2 strokes. Lite enough to put in the airplane when we strap on the Porta-boat. Their generators are nice too.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

I deal with about 10 outboards between 5 and 9.9 of various vintages and manufacturers where I teach sailing and the Yamaha's are tits.

If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.