Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Albums

Harvest- Neil Young
    Blunderbuss- Jack White- new, but it is SICK.

Peter Frampton comes alive is a great live album. Probably will get hazed for this and rarely listen to it but Saturday Night Fever by the Bee Gees was perfect for its genre. Eno Byrne - My life in the Bush of Ghosts is perfect for its genre.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

sugarcubes - life's too good
    juno reactor - bible of dreams

kanye west- my beautiful dark twisted fantasy
    wilco- yankee hotel foxtrot
    flaming lips- soft bulletin
    weezer- blue album

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Nine Inch Nails: Downward Spiral.
    I think this is the only album in this thread that I might agree with. Lots of excellent albums posted with lots of good music, but I don't think many (any?) of them are perfect.

Heh, even the young guys are old Guess it's because nobody makes albums anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    My aim is True Elvis Costello
    Yeah, absolutely. Even though The Attractions are a better backing band than Clover, that album was so great (with or without Watching the Detectives). I'd add This Year's Model.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Then there's Pleased To Meet Me by the Replacements.
    I'd agree with that, but I like Tim better.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Add Tim to the great placemats album list
    Nothing shocking -Jane's Addiction
    Candy Apple Grey and Warehouse Songs and Stories by Husker Du
    Reckoning by R.E.M.
    B-52s by of course the B52s
    Never Mind the Bullocks by The Sex Pistols. The album that changed my life
    Trace by Son Volt
    Live from Folsom prison - Johnny Cash
    Blue Train by Coltrane
    Back in Black by AC/DC
    Milo Goes to College by The Descendents.

And not a huge fan but I have to list pretty much any Pink Floyd album, they knew how to put together an album.
    I like all those albums, but don't don't really think some of them fit iceman's theme. I love Husker Du but don't think any of their albums are masterpieces. Even though I like Reckoning better, Fables of the Reconstruction is the better album. Highway to Hell > Back in Black. I'd add ALL to MGTC. It's way over-produced, but it's a tight album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend every few years, mostly because Robert Quine plays such badass guitar on it.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Double Nickles on the Dime - Minutemen

(Yeah, I listen to all 45 songs on road trips)
    You sir, are my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    - synchronicity -

So are their others but this is maybe most complete?
    That probably is their best album, but I liked Outlandos d'Amour best, and each subsequent record less, until I fucking hated those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Aside from RS being the spewpiece of the recording industry, the question is entirely different. The perfect album has little to do with the Greatest Album. The "greatest" album can be a best seller, have a few of the most awesome riffs or whatever. A perfect album is a piece of conceptual continuity, a work of integrity and art. Big diff in my minicrania.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Newer, pretty good from start to finish.
    Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
    Dave Grohl: the Paul McCartney of my generation. That said, I agree, TCATS is a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Radiohead In Rainbows

Fleetwood Mac Rumours

Beach Boys Endless Summer

U2 Joshua Tree
    Love or hate the bands, those are great albums.

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Harvest- Neil Young
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    wilco- yankee hotel foxtrot
    flaming lips- soft bulletin
    weezer- blue album
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think this is the only album in this thread that I might agree with. Lots of excellent albums posted with lots of good music, but I don't think many (any?) of them are perfect.
    Look a lot of them aren't perfect but certainly way more than one is, c'mon.

Tell me what's not perfect about Kind of Blue, Blood on the Tracks or Never Mind the Bollocks? (just to take 3 off the top of my head that I didn't cite) How could they be better?

I'm trying to make time to listen to Trout Mask Replica (Capt. Beefheart) all the way through to make a decision on it's perfection or lack thereof. It's been a while.

And it certainly isn't newish. Over 40 yo.

Tell me what's not perfect about Kind of Blue, Blood on the Tracks or Never Mind the Bollocks? (just to take 3 off the top of my head that I didn't cite) How could they be better?
    For an album to be perfect, I think it not only has to have a perfect collection of songs without any notably weak tracks, but the tracks need to fit together well and the album as a whole needs to present as a cohesive unit. I also think that, to really attain "perfect" status, the album should be remarkable in some way (i.e. noteworthy from a technical standpoint, or progressive in some particular way). Out of the listed albums that I'm fairly familiar with, I don't see many that are really perfect. To be sure, lots of my favorite albums are listed here, but just because I like them a lot doesn't mean they're perfect. Otherwise this just turns into a list of favorite albums.

Out of those three you listed, while I know those albums, I don't know them well enough to say whether they're perfect or not. And I hate Dylan, so there's that.

Hugh Conway Guest
    He chose angry pounding music as the one perfect album, let the skinny little emo boy run away and cry.

there are lots of decent but not perfect albums listed here though.

I don't think I'd categorize TMR as perfect. In fact I'd rank lots of other ones like "Clear Spot" or "Spotlight Kid" as better.

This illustrates the distinction between Greatest (or best well known) and perfect.

I still think of Beefheart as the best white blues singer.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 05-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I just went through my whole collection looking for albums I could classify as "perfect."

I can't really see choosing something new that hasn't yet stood the test of time. Maybe "El Camino" by the Black Keys. Maybe "XX" by the XX.

I still like Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet." It's just angry. Perfectly angry.

For near perfects, I like "Doolittle" by the Pixies, "The Clash" by the Clash, Outlandos d'Amour by the Police, "Boy" by U2, and "Under the Big Black Sun" by X.

The most perfectest album I found in my collection is one that I like a lot, but wouldn't necessarily call a favorite. I doubt many here have heard it or heard of it. It's "Wrap it" by Doug and the Slugs. Listen to it a dozen times and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    "Under the Big Black Sun" by X.
    That's one I forgot about, but yeah, great album.

A lot of votes for the Clash's first record. Like I said about The Police above, loved that album, liked each subsequent release less, until I fucking hated those guys. (same goes for REM more or less)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I still think of Beefheart as the best white blue singer.
    I think of Phil Lynott as the best black white singer.

In the schtick/shlock category Meatloaf Bat out of Hell.

Good call on Pharcyde. Maybe not everybody's taste, but I can still listen to the whole album.

Both Gnarls Barkley albums.

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

For an album to be perfect, I think it not only has to have a perfect collection of songs without any notably weak tracks, but the tracks need to fit together well and the album as a whole needs to present as a cohesive unit. I also think that, to really attain "perfect" status, the album should be remarkable in some way (i.e. noteworthy from a technical standpoint, or progressive in some particular way). Out of the listed albums that I'm fairly familiar with, I don't see many that are really perfect. To be sure, lots of my favorite albums are listed here, but just because I like them a lot doesn't mean they're perfect. Otherwise this just turns into a list of favorite albums.

Out of those three you listed, while I know those albums, I don't know them well enough to say whether they're perfect or not. And I hate Dylan, so there's that.
    Kind of Blue absolutely fits your criteria.

And the original choice, Look Sharp, also absolutely fits.

But I agree that there are lots of very good albums listed here that are not "perfect".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ...loved that album, liked each subsequent release less, until I fucking hated those guys. (same goes for REM more or less)...
    All downhill after the Chronic Town EP (slowly at first and then faster and faster) imo, but man that thing rocked my house. Still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    The most perfectest album I found in my collection is one that I like a lot, but wouldn't necessarily call a favorite. I doubt many here have heard it or heard of it. It's "Wrap it" by Doug and the Slugs. Listen to it a dozen times and see what you think.
    Everyone in Canada past a certain age knows the Slugs. They just never really broke out in the U.S., same with Teenage Head.

Yet around the same time Americans couldn't get enough of Anne Murray. Weird.

The Cars The Cars

Q:Are We Not Men? A:We Are Devo! Devo

White Blood Cells White Stripes (great album, shitty band - because they weren't)

Inflammable Material Stiff Little Fingers (a perfect first gen punk album)

The Alternative to Love Brendan Benson

Low-Fi At Society High The Figgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Kind of Blue absolutely fits your criteria.

And the original choice, Look Sharp, also absolutely fits.

But I agree that there are lots of very good albums listed here that are not "perfect".
    Never Mind the Bollocks fits too. It could be the definition of what toast is saying.

FWIW I agree with you toast, but it's tough to be objective when it comes to music, and one person's god-like is another's god-awful.

I was thinking about this a bit more. I think the problem I have with finding the perfect album is that some of the strongest albums out there are pretty similar to other works from the band, and therefore aren't perfect in the sense that the album is remarkably unique. If the album isn't overly special in the band's own catalog, can it be perfect?

A good example of this from this thread is Black Keys / El Camino. That's an awesome album, from start to finish. No weak tracks, and overall I think it flows pretty well. But it's not particularly different from any of the other band's albums. They didn't go in a remarkable new direction; they didn't really change anything up. It might be the best work of a very good band, but I'm not sure that, in and of itself, makes it perfect.

Marquee Moon- Television
    Stoner Witch- Melvins
    Sack Full of Silver- Thin White Rope
    Car Wheels on a Gravel Road- Lucinda Williams
    Dig Me Out- Sleater-Kinney
    Euphoria- Leftover Salmon

Buddy Holly and the Crickets
    Maybe the most influential in Rock-n-roll

Alive - Daft Punk

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Marquee Moon is a good one. I was probably a bit liberal with my list. What frustrates me is groups like the Flaming Lips that will have 4 or 5 incredible songs mixed in with 3 of the worst songs you have ever heard. You know they are capable of it yet it is like they purposefully put in something that makes you want to jump out of a window like Alex in Clockwork Orange. T Rex Electric Warrior is an album that fits the bill of being a standout from the rest of their catalog and it has no weak tracks.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations