Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A slightly different type of avalanche...

Swiss Alps, clearing trees for a new ski run

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/wor...s-broadcasting

glades? we don't need no stinking glades!

Thats fucking crazy! That was prolly a 300 year old farm then all of a sudden was ....not ....there. Cool actually from geoligic pov.

That is some serious power. I wonder if it was natural.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Impressive crown - 30"+??

So looking forward to DALLAS

Just think if there was film of the Frank slide.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Damn, did they really mean to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Just think if there was film of the Frank slide.
    there's a computer animation running at the recently (2 yrs ago) opened frank slide museum which was rendered on our infrastructure. it shows how the slide progressed, how far it got, etc. the animation is perhaps not very good, but gives some indication of how big that thing was. what's really missing is the speed of the slide. i wouldn't want to imagine how fast it was going to reach that far.

Landslides are cool. One day there is going to be a major collapse on a volcanic island somewhere and the 2004 tsunami is going to look like ripples in a pond.

Damn. Wonder if they are going to TNT the "hangfire", or what the procedure is with that kind of stuff..

And dan, yeah, the La Palma potential is spooky...hopefully it is one of those 1/150.000yr things...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    And dan, yeah, the La Palma potential is spooky...hopefully it is one of those 1/150.000yr things...
    La Palma has has received the most publicity, but pretty much every volcanic island that has been studied shows evidence of major landslides throughout it's history so it's pretty much the norm. The Hawaiian islands are mostly surrounded by massive landslide debris. Each event is pretty infrequent, but there are thousands of islands compounding the odds.

The drop in looks like its going to have a pucker factor of 5+ tacos.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Landslides are cool. One day there is going to be a major collapse on a volcanic island somewhere and the 2004 tsunami is going to look like ripples in a pond.
    How about when our backyard (the Wasatch fault) decides to go off? When they first settled Utah, they found boulders larger then houses on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. Just picture something that massive rolling through town and what it would do.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Oh no doubt shit would go down, but it's very localized damage. If La Palma went as large as some say it could the tsunami would level the entire eastern seaboard of the US. Same on the west coast if something big went on Hawaii. The scale of destruction would be beyond anything besides a meteor impact or large supervolcano eruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Oh no doubt shit would go down, but it's very localized damage. If La Palma went as large as some say it could the tsunami would level the entire eastern seaboard of the US. Same on the west coast if something big went on Hawaii. The scale of destruction would be beyond anything besides a meteor impact or large supervolcano eruption.
    Bump

https://en.as.com/en/2021/09/19/late...96_343081.html

https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...-palma-part-2/

Weird. I've been to The Canaries twice and from a purely uneducated visual standpoint I don't understand how a landslide from those tiny islands could wipe out the east coast of the US.

I'm amazed that the new hypothesis would even bring a 6 foot wave, an absolute worst case scenario though, to the east coast. But landslides and tsunamis are foreign concepts to me here in landlocked Utah.

Maybe has to do with height of land relative to ocean floor more than height of land above ocean surface? Like if debris slides off mountain, plunges into ocean, and keeps plunging directly down a slope

It's all clear if you're up to snuff with your fluid dynamics, fellas.

Don't we already have teams of geomorphologists on staff?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Don't we already have teams of geomorphologists on staff?
    Other than you, no.

In other news, f2f’s link above is now a story about openly transgender Navy Seals.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Other than you, no.

In other news, f2f’s link above is now a story about openly transgender Navy Seals.
    The golf scene in the movie Navy Seals was pretty gay. And I mean that literally.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

I'm amazed that the new hypothesis would even bring a 6 foot wave, an absolute worst case scenario though, to the east coast. But landslides and tsunamis are foreign concepts to me here in landlocked Utah.
    There doesn't appear to be proof of a transoceanic tsunami being caused by a landslide, but the hypothesis remains. In general, with a large enough volume of earth entering the water, the speed at which the water is displaced creates massive energy that can't be absorbed by the surrounding ocean. The wave continues out, dissapaiting slowly, but moving quickly, till it hits land.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    There doesn't appear to be proof of a transoceanic tsunami being caused by a landslide, but the hypothesis remains. In general, with a large enough volume of earth entering the water, the speed at which the water is displaced creates massive energy that can't be absorbed by the surrounding ocean. The wave continues out, dissapaiting slowly, but moving quickly, till it hits land.
    I get the concept of how it's created, I just think La Palma is microscopic in land mass in this big ass world. Since I assume tsunamis from earthquakes are from massive land shifts, one mountain moving 4000 miles away seems like it wouldn't wipe out the entire eastern seaboard with a 150' wave. But I suppose a 6' wave seems reasonable, as a card carrying member of the Uninformed Speculators On Landmasses Hitting Bodies Of Water Club.