kayaking near boulder

I just moved to Boulder for the summer, and I'd like to start kayaking. If anyone would like to show me some nearby rivers, I'd be greatly appreciative, and there may be a case of beer in it for you. I'm a novice, so I probably won't be going higher than class II, at least for now. I also need to rent all my gear, so word on some cheap rental outfits would also be nice.

mountainbuzz.com is the place for Front Rage boaters. If you are a total beginner, seriously consider taking some sort of class. I bet UC-Boulder offers intro to kayaking classes over the summer.

Poudre is not far from Boulder and has class II sections. As noted by RootSkier instruction may be a good option if you are just getting into kayaking. If you are looking for professional ACA kayak instruction, you may consider making the drive over the the Arkansas river and go with RMOC (Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center). The Arkansas has over 100 miles of runnable whitewater. Some of which is great for beginners. CKS (Colorado Kayak Supply) has rental and demo equipment. CKS also offers packages on the big five essentials: boat, paddle, skirt, pfd, helmets. Whitewater Kayaking is an amazing sport that can become very addictive, but in a good way. Hope this will help you in some way to jump start your paddling out here in Colorado.

Zach

I think CU's pool is open to kayakers for a few hours every other Tuesday in the summer. Check with CU kayak club for deetz.

Also, with the lack of snow and rain this winter/spring the creeks in the area are pretty dry. Look to the Colorado River up near Glenwood for better flow.

Cheers,
    to ski another day