Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Monarch crest trail

Heading to salida this weekend. Anyone know if the crest trail is rideable yet? I saw that it is usually not open this time of the year but with a low snow year I was hoping its ready to roll

If it is closed where should I ride?? I have a job interview and am excited to scope some new trails!!!

Definitely not rideable. Call Absolute Bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Absolute or High Valley Shuttle: http://www.monarchcrest.com/
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

negative...still buried

It won't be good to ride until at least June

http://salidamountaintrails.org/
    Salida has a ton of awesome trails to keep you occupied.

Be sure to hit the Boat Rest on the creek, food marginal, beer exceptional, mid 20yr old wait staff ooohhlaaalaaa. Was there last Friday for lunch, and again Sunday forgoing the usual K-Burger in BV stop on the way home.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Be sure to hit the Boat Rest on the creek
    Boathouse Cantina?

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    forgoing the usual K-Burger in BV stop on the way home.
    Not sure that would fly in my family!

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the boathouse will be happening.

Favorite trails in salida?

Any other must hit food joints?

Riverside Rampage is this weekend, so the S-Mountain stuff will all be crawling with the racer-types and such. The Boathouse is pretty good, decent selection of teh beers as well and yeah... wait staff. Personally I'm über down with Los Girasoles in Poncha Springs, although it might have moved? Large Margs and tasty Mexican food, what's better after a ride? For something a bit moar fancier, check out The Fritz in Salida: kind of semi-upscale (it IS Salida, you know) contemporary place with lots of fresh, often locally-sourced ingredients. Quite tasty.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

I <3 the Fritz.

Heading down solo to do some riding in this area on Saturday while the Miss runs in the Colorado relay. Anyone interested in joining me? I'm on an Enduro and can ride pretty much anything. Would like to get a long ride in, since I'm supposed to do an 18 mile run instead.

Bump for camping recs. Looking like Coaldale on Hayden Creek is our best bet. Other options?

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    Bump for camping recs. Looking like Coaldale on Hayden Creek is our best bet. Other options?
    If you're planning on riding the Crest, Coaldale is NOT the place to camp. Head up Hwy 285 from Poncha Springs and take a right on CR 200 to Silver Creek rd. Near where the Silver Creek trail dumps out at the beginning of the Rainbow Trail are some decent dispersed camps. You could leave your stuff there, ride down to the High Valley Shuttle, shuttle the Crest and return to camp. Want to be closer to Salida? Try the free BLM camp at Salida East...on the left as you are heading down Hwy 50 from Salida about 2 miles out. Or continue another mile down Hwy 50 and take a right on CR 101 (Bear Creek rd) Plenty of dispersed camping up there and you are close to the Bear Creek section of the Rainbow Trail.

^^^Great, thanks. We were hoping to do a Crest + Rainbow tour, finishing @ camp somewhere on Hayden Creek, but I'm thinking that might render us worthless for the rest of the trip. My understanding is that Rainbow>Crest, at least in terms of fun. Am I way off?

Edit: After another look, Crest + Rainbow would definitely crush me! Looks like Silver Creek might be a nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    ^^^Great, thanks. We were hoping to do a Crest + Rainbow tour, finishing @ camp somewhere on Hayden Creek, but I'm thinking that might render us worthless for the rest of the trip. My understanding is that Rainbow>Crest, at least in terms of fun. Am I way off?

Edit: After another look, Crest + Rainbow would definitely crush me! Looks like Silver Creek might be a nice option.
    The Rainbow trail south of Bear Creek is really rough and moto'd out. Would not suggest riding that to Hayden Pass. Take the Crest to Silver Creek. Hopefully you have made camp somewhere near here. If you are still feeling strong continue on the Rainbow for another 6-9 miles of sweet single track. Not sure I would consider Rainbow being more fun than Crest, but it certainly is a good add-on. Starvation Creek is another fun option that brings you down to the same general area while being a bit shorter.
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/C..._crest_hlm.JPG

Second that on the stuff east from Bear Creek. It's a great adventure, but sends you way out and the trail becomes increasingly rough. Where is it that the ATVs become legal? I think it's Cherry Creek is where that starts - then anywhere east/south of there is legal for ATVs, so the trail goes to shit.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    stop into Sweeties Bakery downtown, buy a dank baked good, and ask for Rob. He is a baller and will give you trail beta on what is best right now. "john in squamish" is the magic ticket to all the info you could ever want.

Thanks for the info everyone. Should be a nice little trip.

Starvation is recommended for sure. Have also done the Crest to Rainbow and bailed down off Rainbow before 285, right down to my campsite along the creek.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Bump, anybody going to be around on the 4th?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Bump, anybody going to be around on the 4th?
    I might be (more likely right after). That shizz clear yet or what?

edit: nope
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeah, I heard it's still a while out from being ready. Might even be an August year...

I've been down that way the last two weekends. The trails near town are drier than a popcorn fart, rafting is good.

what's a popcorn fart?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I drove over the pass yesterday. Def did not see anyone up there with bikes in the lot. There's still some big drifts of snow on the ridge lines in that area, but I gotta think it's going to be ready soon. There just didn't seem to be that much snow around.

I did ride Reno/Bear/Flag/Deadmans and that's good-to-go if that helps anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I might be (more likely right after). That shizz clear yet or what?

edit: nope
    There is a few trails just lower in the valley.. where are you going to be at/when?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.