Sorry for your loss Ice

Washington D.C. lost a musical legend on Wednesday, as Chuck Brown passed away at the age of 75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAgY5...ature=youtu.be

i feel like a johnny-come-lately to the whole go-go thing, but I can't listen to Chuck Brown's stuff without a smile. I took for granted the influence he had, since I didn't realize quite how regional it was. He was pretty bad-ass, any way you slice it...

In its own right, the death of the lead proponent of go-go is tragic because in this world of hyper-homogeneous music/media, it was one of the last remaining "local" music scenes. I envy people who grew up with Carolina "beach music" and SoCal "surf music" and "the Philly Sound" and all of those things that made actually living in one city mean something when compared to living in any other city from a musical perspective.

Just heard five minutes ago. What a bummer. Fuck me.

...just last year...
    Last edited by iceman; 05-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Hmmmm...I like his style...and definitely RIP, but that's not exactly what I picture when I think of 'Go-Go".

This is:

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Well everyone knows you don't think right.

good write up on the man
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...er-chuck-brown

swear to God there were periods when i was reading it and I was hearing Iceman's voice telling me about Go Go ten + years ago

Cool article, thanks man.

He talks about Eva Cassidy, goodam could she sing, RIP Eva too. I don't know if you know her (probably, I'm betting). Here's Chuck and Eva together. Not gogo but good shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    good write up on the man
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...er-chuck-brown

swear to God there were periods when i was reading it and I was hearing Iceman's voice telling me about Go Go ten + years ago
    Good shit, dood. Thanks. Made me sad, but in a good way I guess.

Similarly to the author I saw Chuck for the 1st time back in 1983 at the Back-to-School Boogie at the Cap Center. Last saw him 28 years later - last summer - and had tix to the show 2 months ago at the 930 club that was canceled due to "health reasons." RIP old man - you certainly did give this City its sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Hmmmm...I like his style...and definitely RIP, but that's not exactly what I picture when I think of 'Go-Go".

This is:

--
    If you ever wonder why I find you annoying as fuck this post is a perfect example.

You sound like a smart guy - the guy who was always a bit smarter and weirder than the other kids in school, but goddammit, Holmes - sometimes you just gotta know when the fuck to just listen and not try so hard.

...and that's from the single highest post-count douche on this board.

I read where they were having a public viewing of Chuck's body starting yesterday or today - man he's been dead like 2 weeks! wtf, that's creepy.

Memorial Service was today at the DC Convention Center. 2500 people showed up: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...b4U_story.html Unfortunately I was not one of them. The video is hilarious - mayor Gray looks sooooo uncomfortable.