North Umpqua Trail

I'm doing portions of the N. Umpqua Trail in June, but not hte whole thing. Lots of campgrounds, lots of trail segments. Decision is that we will be car camping and doing individual segments rather than bikepacking the whole thing. We like the creature comforts too much and there's no way to keep a good Porter or IPA cold while bikepacking.

So can you recommend campgrounds based on the factors of privacy, scenery, cleanliness (particularly of latrines), and avoiding the white trash/giantRV/ATV factor?

Well there is some great free dispersed camping but it sounds like you want the privacy and clean factor of a Hilton...

Toketee Lake Campground is nice. I forgot if they have RVs and travel trailers though. The N Umpqua Trail website has plenty of campgrounds on it. You should just call the ranger station and ask them what they recommend. Every time I am at N. Umpqua i am usually said dirty, loud and obnoxious neighbors you are looking to avoid...

What portions are you going to do ?

Haven't decided which portions to do, partially because I'm still looking at the various campgrounds. A successful trip, particularly when travelling with the family (and a couple extra kids) is not solely about the riding. Seeking that balance of good riding, pleasant digs, and the right combo of covneniences and inconveniences to make the trip worth remembering but not unpleasant.

And, yep, if I could afford the Hilton, and there was one on the trail, that's where I'd be staying. Don't believe in the whole "adversity makes you stronger" BS when on vacation with the fam. Especially since they tend to disapprove of the death marches, brutal climbs, cold bivouacs, and rough food washed down with cheap whiskey that I often choose to do (or at least end up doing whether chosen or not) when solo or just with friends.

And it's not that I'm trying to avoid neighbors. I just want to avoid generators that run all night, ATV's (abominations in my book) that tend to start up at zero dark thrity, and the type of folks that like to use both. Dirtbags are generally good folk to share a campground with, long as you don't let them invite themselves to dinner.

I am fairly certain that ATV's/Dirtbikes are not allowed on the trails. I have never ran into them before and I have been riding for close to two years out there. What are the ages of the kids? There is some decently technically challenging riding on the NUT you may want to avoid with younger kids. Some places along the trail a fall or slip would result in a 70 ft fall down a cliff into the river.

Some portions you may want to sneak off to ride would be Dread and Terror and Deer Leap. However, I work at my colleges Outdoor Program and we run beginners down the trail occasionally and they have all survived (bumps and bruises along the way) but they made it.

Tokatee Lake is nice as well as the end of the ride, if you do the Dread And Terror section, which is awesome, and hard, and long....but amazing. There are hot springs to check out in the Hot Springs section, and Tokatee Falls is a short walk from Tokatee campground and a great kid diversion.

That Steamboat Inn suggestion is CHOICE, too. Lot of history in that area. And Crater Lake truly isn't that far away, and just blows everyone away.

Have a fun ride
    Last edited by Tap; 05-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Liked the campground just above Steamboat Inn. Close to good fishing and the trails. Walk down to Steamboat and get breakfast with the family in the morning.

born2snowboard, I've got a mix of skill levels in this group. Which segments would you recommend for riders that are not actually beginners, but are still at the short/steep end of the learning curve?

Bumping this...I'm camping with a large group just outside Steamboat this weekend and looking to loop a few chunks of this trail. Any suggestions for 10-15mile segments? Might try to shuttle a car and there could be 1-2 others joining. Not really looking for anything techy or cliff exposure esp. if it's wet... I'd prefer to cruise some fun 1-track and pack a fly rod and find some good access to bank fishing.

Hey Groomer, have you talked to a ranger about fire closures or trail conditions?
    The Umpqua National forest info was last updated on 9/22 ... it's been cold and wet since then.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...skippagination

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd559818.pdf

some info on MTBR about open trail sections and conditions:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/oregon/dread-...d-1057149.html

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Hey Groomer, have you talked to a ranger about fire closures or trail conditions?
    The Umpqua National forest info was last updated on 9/22 ... it's been cold and wet since then.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...skippagination

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd559818.pdf

some info on MTBR about open trail sections and conditions:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/oregon/dread-...d-1057149.html
    Hm shit I didn't realize the fire burned right up to the river. I'll have to call tomorrow before committing to any plans.

It looks like 'some' sections are open (Hot springs, Dread and Terror)...any local intel if they're rideable?

I don't know where the fire burned, as I didn't check the inciweb pages. I think the various FS districts have pulled back some closure boundaries in some areas where they've had a chance to inspect the grounds, so it's unclear if that Umpqua forest map is still in effect ... If you do go on an exploration within a previous closure zone, watch out for flagging though. It's a warm west wind this weekend that could whip up any remaining activity, and also I think the FS rangers would be concerned with any burn areas where there is a chance of falling trees and rock or mudslides (though there is little to no rain for mudslides forecasted the next few days).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Wow. Fucking awesome trail. A lot of the sections were closed (you can see where the fires ripped right up to the river). We did a few segment loops that were open including Dread and Terror, Hot Springs, and Panther. Everything in-between looked scorched with trees down that you could see driving along 138.

Would love to go back next year and ride the whole trail if it's open.