Things to do between SF and Tahoe

Taking a road trip from San Fran to Tahoe for a few days after a conference in June. Looking for some things to do along the way (if any) from San Fran, and then what are some of the must sees for 3 days by the Lake?

Any suggestions are welcome

You can sweat your ass off in the traffic in Sac. I always try to stop at Taqueria Rincon Alteno. It kind of breaks up the drive, and the food is pretty damn good.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

We usually fly into San Fran or Oakland and then hit Napa for a day or two before driving up. Of course the grandparents lived there so that was the main reason. If you like wine it is a good place to visit. You can then cruise American Canyon road or the route by lake Berryessa (sp?) over to the Sucremento area and up to Tahoe.

There's outlet malls in Vacaville. And Sutter's Fort in Sac if you want to take in some CA history. Ikeda's in Auburn is a worthwhile stop for the Mushroom Burger and lots of yummy treats from the Farm Stand / Store attached - try the awesome home-made pies. There's a train museum of some sort in Colfax. But really, just get your ass to Tahoe where the weather's better.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Old Placerville is a little bit cool if you're going up Highway 50. It's only a 3-4 hour drive, though, so you don't need to break it up much. You could also rent a bike and run a Downieville shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    And Sutter's Fort in Sac if you want to take in some CA history.
    Pretty sure our broke state couldn't afford to keep that one open...

Go rafting on the middle fork America near auburn. If you're too cheap then go inner tubing on the class two section of the south fork in Coloma (stay safe, use life jackets). Drive hwy 49. Look for concerts in sac, sometimes you can find great acts in tiny venues. Sac town nightlife: Go to monkey bar, find The new bar that has a mermaid swimming in a tank. Second downhill mtb at downieville. Sit on the riverside or hike upriver on south yuba at Bridgeport. The foothills are sick. It isn't all strip malls.

Sent from my ST17a using TGR Forums

Thanks guys.

another vote for Highway 49

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Take Hwy 49 north out of Auburn towards Grass Valley/Nevada City. At some point you'll turn off on, I believe, Hwy 20. Take that into Nevada City, a kool little town with some nice food options, window shopping and shit. Leaving, you can simple continue on Hwy 20 'cause it will eventually hook up with the 80 before Soda Springs.

Auburn Ale House is in downtown Auburn and worth a stop if you're hungry and fancy a beer or two. Easy highway access.

Where abouts in Tahoe is this conference?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Take Hwy 49 north out of Auburn towards Grass Valley/Nevada City. At some point you'll turn off on, I believe, Hwy 20. Take that into Nevada City, a kool little town with some nice food options, window shopping and shit. Leaving, you can simple continue on Hwy 20 'cause it will eventually hook up with the 80 before Soda Springs.

Auburn Ale House is in downtown Auburn and worth a stop if you're hungry and fancy a beer or two. Easy highway access.

Where abouts in Tahoe is this conference?

Conference is in SF but have 4 days to kill and wanted to get out to the lake after ski season

Quote Originally Posted by RXPXSkier View Post
    Conference is in SF but have 4 days to kill and wanted to get out to the lake after ski season
    Start with Truckee and then circle the lake in a clockwise direction. Be prepared for heavy traffic if this is going to be late June.

For the trip back, consider taking one of the trans-Sierra roads (Hwy 88, 4 or 108), each south of Tahoe and dumping you onto Hwy 49 in "Gold Country". They're all very nice drives.

Bon Voyage!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Start with Truckee and then circle the lake in a clockwise direction. Be prepared for heavy traffic if this is going to be late June.

For the trip back, consider taking one of the trans-Sierra roads (Hwy 88, 4 or 108), each south of Tahoe and dumping you onto Hwy 49 in "Gold Country". They're all very nice drives.

Bon Voyage!
    Truckee was my original plan and it will be june 14-17. Do i need to make advanced reservations for lodging or can call a day or 2 before?