Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Thinking about ordering some to try out on my knee and some for my mom who had a recent melanoma removed. Not sure if the difference will just be cosmetic (useless to me, but a big deal to my mom) or if it will actually improve the quality of the tissue.

Anyway, hope you can hike again soon!
    Hey man, I hope your mom is feeling better and hopefully the “Scar Away" can reduce any scaring that took place during the removal of her melanoma. I have my fingers crossed that I will posting pics of me on top of Mt Whitney next month...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    (and done a few thousand)
    HA-ha, right on DR, I just caught on to this (I still smoke dope so...) Well I went for a 2 mile hike yesterday and I am starting to feel normal. Thanks for your time & reply Doc.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Be careful it's not a labral tear.
    Man, I should of taken your advice on 5/13 when you posted this statement. I went through a hernia surgery for basically no reason, I just got the results from my MRI that was taken yesterday and I indeed have a labral tear. On a positive note, the doc says that the tear is minor and the cortisone shot he gave me yesterday should take care of the problem for this year at least.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Shitty dude. In my experience, labral tears are nothing to mess around with. I'd be curious about what caused the tear and whether your doc thinks it'll happen again. For me, it was a bone spur on the head of my femur. Surgery was to repair the tear, but also to shave down the bone spur so it wouldn't re-tear.

Just a heads up. Your hips are such an integral part of your body when it comes to body mechanics that you really don't want to be fucking around with them, which I learned the hard way.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Man, I should of taken your advice on 5/13 when you posted this statement. I went through a hernia surgery for basically no reason, I just got the results from my MRI that was taken yesterday and I indeed have a labral tear. On a positive note, the doc says that the tear is minor and the cortisone shot he gave me yesterday should take care of the problem for this year at least.
    Im no doc but it sounds like he put a bandaid on it... Are you doing pt? Does the doc understand / appreciate that you are active?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Im no doc but it sounds like he put a bandaid on it... Are you doing pt? Does the doc understand / appreciate that you are active?
    Yeah, I thought the same thing but the official diagnosis was “a small non-displaced labral tear" and according to the Doc the cortisone has worked on most of his patients who just had the minor tear. He wants to try this as a diagnosis tool before he puts me through another surgery, and at this point I don’t think I can take another surgery and another 4-6weeks on the couch so I am willing to try.

Before coming to CA to practice Orthopedic surgery he worked in the professional sports arena and said he saw many football players with severely displaced labral tears that could go the season & the playoffs with one cortisone shot. Of course they needed surgery immediately after the season and also made multiple millions of dollars to play with the torn labram.

His attitude was - lets try this before we operate, again.
    I am inclined to agree, I hope I’m right.

Wow. Prior to the surgery did you notice a bulge in the groin (about where the inner end of the scar is)? Did the surgeon definitely feel a bulge and did he find a hernia at surgery? Of course there's no law that says you can't have both a hernia and a labral tear, and it's possible that the hernia was the cause of the problem--but I'm assuming you weren't improved by the surgery or you wouldn't have had the MRI.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wow. Prior to the surgery did you notice a bulge in the groin (about where the inner end of the scar is)? Did the surgeon definitely feel a bulge and did he find a hernia at surgery? Of course there's no law that says you can't have both a hernia and a labral tear, and it's possible that the hernia was the cause of the problem--but I'm assuming you weren't improved by the surgery or you wouldn't have had the MRI.
    So Doc, the surgeon felt and found an inguinal hernia, cut out the small piece of fat (his words), put the mesh in place and sewed me up. At my post op appointment he said straight out that he doubted the hernia he repaired was the source of my pain & discomfort due to it’s small size and location in relation to my pain. And he was correct, the pain never subsided and was basically just covered up by the agonizing pain & recovery of the hernia surgery. So that is what led to the MRI & such...

It has been 3 days since the MRI & cortisone injection and I am feeling better than I have since the injury appeared in late April, so I am hopeful that this will get me through a couple of seasons.

I guess at some point I will have to have the labram sewed on proper, no?

Glad to hear your doc was straight with you. I don't know about the labrum problem--sorry.

Went for my ultrasound and then went to see the orthopedic doctor this week... he informed me that I have a hernia and need to see general surgeon, so back to my primary care doc for another referral. The orthopedic doc took x-rays of my hip to make sure there wasn’t a labral tear (thanx auvgeek) and my heel as well to make sure it healed properly from 5 years ago, all clear.

So, now I need to see the general surgeon and schedule my surgery, any thoughts on this mags? I am leaving for a 100 mile section hike of the PCT on Saturday the 19th and have another trip planned 7/19-7/24 on the High Sierra Trail with Highanxiety that I CAN NOT miss. Has anyone had this surgery? If so, what was the recovery time? I read some bullshit online but I would rather hear from someone who actually went through this and then PROMPTLY returned to outdoor type activities.

Written findings: ”A small fat-containing left inguinal hernia mildly increases in size with a vascular maneuver. The neck of the hernia measures approximately 0.7cm".
    In the old days, people lived with hernias for years. It won't kill you unless your intestines start working their way though the hole and choke off.

I have a friend going through the pulled groin thing right now. He was mountain biking in Italy and stepped off his bike onto some snow and did some wicked splits.

How did you get on with the shot? I have exactly the same issue although both sides caused by CAM impingement and i went through bi-lateral inguinal hernia repairs to find myself today with the same issues, although worse, maybe the hernia surgery caused issues or the hips got worse.

Did you ever end up with hip surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    In the old days, people lived with hernias for years. It won't kill you unless your intestines start working their way though the hole and choke off.
    For reasonably young, healthy people with painless hernias it's probably best to have them fixed without waiting years. Small, painless hernias usually get bigger, more uncomfortable, and harder to fix with a higher recurrence rate over time. No need to fix them for people with limited life expectancy (a lot of people on this forum judging by the TR's).
    Some studies state that as many as 10% of people who have hernia repairs have chronic pain afterwards. I personally don't think the number is nearly that high--I practiced in a closed health plan where someone coming back with pain would have come back to me or I would have been told about it, but I can't know for sure.

Does anyone know how much repair costs? I was told I have two minor hernias when I was having my appendectomy. They don't really bother me day-to-day but have had some problems with weight lifting. Should probably get them fixed soon. Am I in for a major bill?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Does anyone know how much repair costs? I was told I have two minor hernias when I was having my appendectomy. They don't really bother me day-to-day but have had some problems with weight lifting. Should probably get them fixed soon. Am I in for a major bill?
    Insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by chewymix View Post
    How did you get on with the shot? I have exactly the same issue although both sides caused by CAM impingement and i went through bi-lateral inguinal hernia repairs to find myself today with the same issues, although worse, maybe the hernia surgery caused issues or the hips got worse.

Did you ever end up with hip surgery?
    chewymix -

I received your PM but thought I would answer your question here to keep with the theme of the thread.

Since my cortisone shot I have had extremely tolerable pain...

I skied a 150 days in the last two seasons and was able to tour frequently without any major pain. I have been able to keep my training regimen of surfing, hiking, and drinking beer in the off season as well as some running and biking. As I stated though, my tare was a minor one so not sure if this relates to you.

As far as my hips, I have had no problems as of yet. Will keep you posted though

Good luck and I hope this helped

Good to know. Has your scar settled down now as I think you said it was super sore for some time after? Both mine are sore although it seems to lessening.

I think I will go for the shot and see how it goes. Although the thought of having it done under a general seems crazy to me.

cheers

its been a while - but i have not had the shot(s) yet into my hip(s) as frankly i have not been thrilled with having a joint injected, but its getting worse and so i think i'll have to even though the MRI says tears and the XRAY says FAI. One for the hip gimps though, have you ever had a swelling in the groin from the hip issue? One of my sides seems puffy almost like a new hernia, but its higher up the scar line, not at the bottom end, which i think is closer to the hip joint. Just wonder if the hip could actually cause a groin swelling in someones experience.

got the shots

Had bilateral shots yesterday - definitely felt a bit better immediately afterwards but my more painful hip is certainly more grumbly today. Doc says takes 2 weeks for the steroid to fully kick in and then i start some physio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right-hip.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	349.2 KB 
ID:	160006

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left-hip.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	160007

I also need some myofascial work on my hernia scars, not the actual scar but underneath in the layers below as its really bunched up in there and pressing on all sorts of stuffs that hurts when i sit.

How bad were the shots? Sounds like you have been through the ringer with this.

chewy,

Man I feel so bad for you, I got my shots two years ago and have been running at 90-95% since. Hopefully you make a full recovery and can enjoy your winter...

Please keep us updated as to your progress

yeah it blows for sure - but on the whole the shots were fine, way easier than i thought they were going to be.

It better get better soon thats all i can say -

Quote Originally Posted by chewymix View Post

It better get better soon thats all i can say -
    It didnt - Surgery was 7 days ago, only one side, have to go back in for the other when i am healed up.

CAM shaved, ligament repaired, labrum repaired, cartilage was delaminated so that was stuck down and some stem cells sprinkled on for good measure.

This better work.