End of season slideshow.

Photo related... figured I'd post it.

C&C? Some of the transitions were a little long... was running low on decent shots.

A few thoughts: You've got the technical side of things mostly dialed. Color, exposure, focus, contrast, etc., are all good. Your post-processing needs some fine tuning; a few of those images would really pop if toned a bit more carefully.

You are clearly getting into locations and situations where great adventure photographs are possible, and with people who can make them happen. However, your images begin to suffer when it comes to composition. It's evident you are trying to look at things non-conventionally, i.e. reflections, shadows, putting stuff in the foreground, etc., which can be an excellent approach.

However, you are consistently too far away from your subjects. This significantly reduces the impact and energy of your images. You can tell the athlete is charging or in an intense situation - and you are right there with them - but you're simply too far away to give the image that much needed wow factor.

The image at 2:16 is a perfect example of this: it's a surprising image because of what is happening and I can't look away, but if you had been closer and wider, it would have had more impact.

Overall though, keep it up, you are on the right track.

I'll leave you with the best photography advice there ever was: get closer!

Start packing a long zoom. Look at the 1-400.

Great shots though.

My biggest problem right now, is just space for camera gear. I keep my equipment to 1 body/1 lens most of the time, especially when climbing. Ideally the 17-40 on the T1i will get replaced by the 24-105 on 5d mark ii...

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    My biggest problem right now, is just space for camera gear. I keep my equipment to 1 body/1 lens most of the time, especially when climbing. Ideally the 17-40 on the T1i will get replaced by the 24-105 on 5d mark ii...

Thanks for the comments.
    All of those are shot with a 17-40?

There's a 'few' that are shot with 70-200 f/4... Maybe 1/2 a dozen? Only bring that lens on mellower touring days though...

Do you have the 5DII yet? You may not like the AF.

This has been the big dilemma... realistically, it can't get any worse than a T1i though.

Can't justify spending that much more on a mark iii... Something in the middle would perfect.