Cheap flies at sierra trading post

hey guys if you go here and use this code at checkout you can get flies for under a dollar. check it out:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-flies~d~94/

codes (you can only use one)

1. Take 25% off $125 or 30% off $200 at Sierra Trading Post! ALMAY2

2. code (20% off): allfun2

3. code (30% off, ends tomorrow 5/9): ALRMNMAY2

chase rewards mall pays 3 points per dollar spent or bigcrubms pays 3.5% cash back if you want to stack discounts too.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Interesting article.

I have found that it's hit and miss. Blueflycafe.com's flies (I believe they claimed they were tied in Idaho) were very good, but they're gone. Been using the flystop.com and they seem pretty good, although some of the patterns aren't exactly what I'm used to seeing (got a weird batch of WD40's the other day).

I have bought flies in shops where the hooks shattered in my forceps while tying on. Had some unravel. Then I have some that last and are really nice.

Where do most shops get their flies anyway? I swear some of them are getting them from the same online places I get them and just doubling the price.

Seems like unless you actually know who tied them, it's a crap shoot.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Seems like unless you actually know who tied them, it's a crap shoot.
    That's certainly my experience and I'd agree with you regarding buying discount flies and marking them up.

Don't know about the current flies offered from STP, but I haven't been impressed with the few I picked up in the past. Even those named after and Oregon river.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Even those named after and Oregon river.
    They offer their seconds to all their dealers. I won't touch em, they suck usually. One of my competitors in town sells them and people usually end up really unhappy. It's a crapshoot.

Good to know, I will let you all know how they turn out
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Funny, I just read this article on Idylwilde's blog today about why you shouldn't buy cheap flies... http://idylwilde.com/wordpress/2012/...should-matter/
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

"1. Over your lifetime as a fly angler you will probably spend more money on flies than any other single piece of fishing gear!"

- No shit! My San Juan micro midge box fits in one hand and alone probably has $1200 worth of flies in it. My buddy wrecked his hands chainsawin' and he loses minimum $10 a day trying to tie the damn things on. Every time I clean the boat I wash a grip of his midget flies down the drain holes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NMmatt View Post
    - No shit! My San Juan micro midge box fits in one hand and alone probably has $1200 worth of flies in it. My buddy wrecked his hands chainsawin' and he loses minimum $10 a day trying to tie the damn things on. Every time I clean the boat I wash a grip of his midget flies down the drain holes!!!
    You should think about breaking those up into different boxes or thinning out the box. When I first started I dropped my fly box without knowing and off it went. Ever since then they are attached to a lanyard and affixed to a D ring. I couldn't imagine floating 1200 dollars down the river.

Lost my fly box once when I was a teenager - watched it float over a waterfall. Once is enough, scarred me for life. Now I use the deathgrip method. And yes, I actually use all those tiny bastards... Sometimes it's all presentation, but fairly often they key into one very specific performer, so you better have several. 24" fish on 6x is what the San Juan is all about! You tend to lose your best flies quick if the fish gods aren't smiling on you that day. I am mightily relieved when I can leave that little box at home and tie on a #12 Stimulator! Kind of a love/hate thing.

Besides in the boat you really have to be drunk to lose the whole box over the side.

I've bought from these guys before and the flies are really good quality. They are all tied by veterans, most disabled, that are avid fisherman. One of the guys was formerly a guide in the Sierra,, out of Bishop, and he sent me a sweet assortment of backcountry and local water flies. If I am going to buy anywhere that is not local I use them. Get their number and give them a call. They will make you anything you want.

http://stores.ebay.com/Precision-Fly...id=p4340.l2563