Question Fly fishing around Jackson, looking for an outfitter.

I posted something similar a last year around this time. At that time we were just doing some research into what part of the country we would want to fish We have a group of between 6-12 guys looking to head west next spring for some fly fishing on the Snake river in the Jackson Hole area.

We're looking for a fishing outfitter for a couple guided days. Hopefully a fish camp, lodge or camping along the river if possible.

Any leads on a good outfit in the area ??

Which months give us the best opportunity for prime fishing ?

I'll hang up and listen.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Hugh Conway Guest
    i think you should pm schwerty

Ditto. FelderToTheFishFone
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    We have a group of between 6-12 guys looking to head west next spring for some fly fishing on the Snake river in the Jackson Hole area.

Which months give us the best opportunity for prime fishing ?

Spring? As in before the runoff? Spring fishing is kind of unpredictable and most lodges are not open yet. For example, this year is a fairly warm, early spring and the weather is nice today, but it just snowed again and the winds have been especially severe for most of the last week. The two previous springs saw a lot of muddy rivers in flood stage until mid-june or later. There is a whole 3-4 weeks of variability in the run-off cycle from year to year. Generally speaking, the Snake and its freestone tribs around Jackson run cold and turbid once runoff begins and it is known more as a mid-summer through late fall river. In the late spring and early summer, the Henry's Fork, South Fork and Green get a lot of visits from Jackson area anglers. In a big snow year, the Snake/South Fork and all high elevation tribs are poor fishing until runoff subsides and everyone gets packed into the Henry's, the Firehole or a spring creek.

As far as river camping goes, I don't think any outfitters have their South Fork Conant Canyon overnight camps set up until june but that 25 mile trip is the only over night float around here. Most lodges don't get going until the end of may. South Fork Lodge, Three Rivers Ranch and WorldCast have designated South Fork camps with wall tents, cots, dining tent, etc.. South Fork Lodge, Palisades Creek, Teton Valley Lodge and Three Rivers Ranch are outftter/lodges that feature posh streamside lodging and dining; Trouthunter is less fancy and operates more like a small hotel/tavern on the water. Day float trips cost $475-$550 plus tip for two anglers; All inclusive (guides w/ boats, gear, meals and streamside lodging) costs a lot more. Expect guide bookings to be mostly full on the HF during the famous hatches of early summer. AND, it could be hard to get all 12 guys into a group float in Idaho. ID outfitters are allowed only 3 or 4 boats per permit, per river section. Worldcast is double permited on the SF and Three Rivers has double permits for the HF. If you have 8 or more, it will probably require some advance booking.

You can effectively fish around here from March through Thanksgiving but you can't expect to do well everywhere, every time. Prime fishing is a moving target in a sometimes competative sport. In an average water year, the major stonefly and drake hatches come off in June and July for the HF and SF and run later into the season on the upper Snake watershed. I guess that big bug dry fly action is what most visiting anglers want to experience, if that is what you mean by "prime fishing". It certainly is what draws a crowd. Personally, I've lost faith in reliably finding "prime fishing" if it means taking a turn fishing over-worked riffles on heavily floated water. Some days you luck out with a hatch and its truly great...but then every damn guide and angler with a drift boat gets the hatch report and within two days that section of river turns into a take-a-number-for-a-riffle shit show and hits a point of diminishing returns. In other words, if you can anticipate a hatch or luck into it, things often turn out to be primo. Chasing hatch reports on big rivers can turn into a frustrating day.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-06-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks for the info Neckdeep,

I'd say ND has it pretty well nailed.

If you're looking to come to the JH valley to fish the Snake, plan July 15th on. This year we should have and early start to the summer season but if you're paying to come, don't mess around and plan when the fishin is good.

Check out Spotted Horse Ranch, (Hoback River - cool horse packing trips and guides hit the Green quite a bit. Right on the Hoback and 5-10 mins from canyon stretches of the Snake). They are likely reasonably priced. Most of the other all inclusive, (lodging, eatin' and fishing), are pretty pricey dude ranch type places. If you want to go big, try Lost Creek Ranch.

My best advice would be to stay or camp somewhere else and use a guide service for the fishing. Talk to Baker at Westbank Anglers or Scott Smith, http://ssflyfish.blogspot.com/ , (Jack Dennis Fishing Trips - NOT Jack Dennis Sports, that's a different deal.)

The South Fork, Henry's Fork and the Green, (in WY), will have better camping options than the Snake in JH. See ND's advice for the SF and HF. The Green has excellent camping opportunities which can be made into multiple day floats if you want to. You car(s) can be shuttled to each takeout/camp. That's a D.I.Y. deal though.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like further assistance.

Thanks Schwerty,

I may PM you with some additional questions, but my big pussy question right now is, what about Bears ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Thanks Schwerty,

I may PM you with some additional questions, but my big pussy question right now is, what about Bears ?!!
    That's not in any way a pussy question. If you are not concerned then you either are not aware of the danger or just plain dumb. For the most part, bears shouldn't be a problem. Clean camps, decent size group...bears probably won't mess with you. Wading, especially around backcountry streams and lakes is really where you have to be aware. If you are fishing in or around Yellowstone, check here and with rangers as to where bear activity has been hot. Carry bear spray and have extra. You most likely won't see any bears on the Green unless you are up by the Lakes. Floating, nothing to worry about unless you get out and wade a side channel of the Snake in GTNP. I've seen my share of griz and black bears walking some slow channels up there. Chances are a guide won't have you walk-wading in the middle of a hot bed of Griz activity.

Just be prepared and aware and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    That's not in any way a pussy question. If you are not concerned then you either are not aware of the danger or just plain dumb. For the most part, bears shouldn't be a problem. Clean camps, decent size group...bears probably won't mess with you. Wading, especially around backcountry streams and lakes is really where you have to be aware. If you are fishing in or around Yellowstone, check here and with rangers as to where bear activity has been hot. Carry bear spray and have extra. You most likely won't see any bears on the Green unless you are up by the Lakes. Floating, nothing to worry about unless you get out and wade a side channel of the Snake in GTNP. I've seen my share of griz and black bears walking some slow channels up there. Chances are a guide won't have you walk-wading in the middle of a hot bed of Griz activity.

Just be prepared and aware and you will be fine.
    No, I have a WAAAY healthy respect for bears. That's why I asked. I just don't wanna be worried about getting a fly hung in a branch in or out of the water and looking over my shoulder all day looking for a bear.

similar topic...gonna be in town June 23-39 with the wife and inlaws, negoatiated in a float day for me. green river at that point a good call? anyone have guide recs, i'd love to use someone on the board if possible
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Check you pm box. Info you need should be there.

thanks schwerty, i look forward to buying you beers sometime
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    thanks schwerty, i look forward to buying you beers sometime
    he's quit drinking to bond w/his expectant wife, but was kind enough to allow me to drink them as his proxy.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

yeah that would work too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    he's quit drinking to bond w/his expectant wife, but was kind enough to allow me to drink them as his proxy.
    Ha ha. I offered to do that. thankfully my wife understands the importance of booze in a fellas well being! Now I am drinkin for 2.

Quick trip next week bump. Headed to jackson area to camp, float and fish the snake mainly but open to other local water. How is the river fishing what are they eating? Recomended floats I can do in 2 man fishcat and shuttle service? Any good places to camp with a small pop top trailer? Is Schwerty out there to help a brother?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Freestones are ridiculously low this year. The Snake is still running at it's summer flow but the South Fork is currently stepping down, flow out of Palisades being reduced each night. Jackson dam will follow suit soon. The wind has been the biggest factor for choosing when and where I've been fishing. 20 mph winds have been the rule, not the exception, for weeks now. Some tricos are still around in the morning. Some drakes around on slow, weedy waters. Mahogany duns usually start about now. Hoppers are abundant but every fish in the Snake/SF has probably seen a thousand hopper-dropper combos by now. Streamer fishing starts to kick in with the drops in temps; frost again this morning. Cold and wet weather might get the tiny BWO #20 hatches started.

Car camping is easy to find using Google Earth. There's some good spots near the Snake, just above Deadman's Bar access, on forest road 30310. Look for the turnoff directly opposite the Cunningham Cabin turnout in GTNP, hwy 191. It's hunting season, tho, so expect to have competition for primo rv access sites.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-10-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Fkna! Thanks neckdeep!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Any recommends on a shuttle service? Or can I run my little not street legal trail 70 on some dirt to handle the shuttle?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Any recommends on a shuttle service? Or can I run my little not street legal trail 70 on some dirt to handle the shuttle?
    Pretty tough to run your own shuttle. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1473523704.045222.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	187503
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Thanks Teleee! On the interwebs Snake River Shuttle says they didn't operate this season due to the housing crisis in the valley so I was kinda worried.

I think we will probably end up in a campground instead of dry camping. Any opinions between Colter Bay or Gros Ventre? Should we head south to Hoback Campground or do the Fireside or Virginain RV. Snake River KOA? A shower is nice but not necessary. Ultimately want to be close to the (a) river and be able to swing streamers from camp while drunk.

Fly fishing around Jackson, looking for an outfitter.

Hey fugitive - I'm around and happy to help! No time for a report now but I'll get one up here soon. Pm me and I'll shoot you my #. If I can get out with you I will. If I can't I'll at least get you to the best water.

Hollis shuttle operates as long as you want her to. I can run a shuttle or two for you too and I cost $0.

Fkna outstanding schwerty!!! PM outbound!
    Bunny Don't Surf

FWIW I heard Holly can't find employees and is next to impossible to get a shuttle from at the moment if not an outfitter. YMMV, this came from Bruce at GTFF.

She is short handed and it is Holly. You never know if she's gonna do it even if she has too many employees! Only gig in town now tho.
    Unless she knows your rig, calling the evening/day before should get you a shuttle.
    Snapt- if you need a shuttle just ask me. If I can run one I will.