Page 59 of 97 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

Mrs. C's Moto G4 just bricked, so after shopping around for whatever was available cheap + fast, we got her a Moto G6 32gb version. Bought it from Total Wireless, which is the carrier she uses -- and also means it is carrier-locked for 12 months -- but it was $150 before ebates new account credit + CB, which brought it down to low $100s. It is larger than the G4 and larger than she wanted, but IMHO it is about the best cheap phone available now.

The Moto X4 is available for similar low price and has slightly better specs, but it is older than the G6, so like riser3 said, expect support to end sooner for the X4. Look on slickdeals for whatever cheapest deals are available right now.

Both the X4 and G6 have the stupid glass back, which makes a case mandatory.

I have had a G6 for a couple months now, and like it. Bought mine through Google Fi, so completely unlocked, and nearly stock Android -- only a couple of Moto apps that are actually sort of useful (shake flashlight and clock/weather/battery widget). Charges fast and charge lasts a long time. The Total Wireless G6 came with a couple of TW apps pre-installed, but otherwise still pretty close to stock Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bought mine through Google Fi, so completely unlocked, and nearly stock Android -- only a couple of Moto apps that are actually sort of useful (shake flashlight and clock/weather/battery widget). Charges fast and charge lasts a long time.
    Google Fi, eh? Now that's an angle I hadn't even thought of before. How is it for travel? I travel to really remote locales for work a lot. I'd save a butt ton of money over Verizon. You're right about the Moto apps too. Those I don't mind. They're actually useful and don't get in the way unlike others.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Google Fi, eh? Now that's an angle I hadn't even thought of before. How is it for travel? I travel to really remote locales for work a lot. I'd save a butt ton of money over Verizon. You're right about the Moto apps too. Those I don't mind. They're actually useful and don't get in the way unlike others.
    Google Fi uses T Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks in the US. It will route calls and texts over wifi, which is the only way that it works at my house. If you are in remote areas in the US, depending on cell coverage, don't get Google Fi.

If you want international roaming, and are mostly in urban areas or on wifi, Google Fi works great.

If your priority is good coverage in remote areas in the US, I would highly recommend Total Wireless -- it's a MVNO that runs on Verizon's network, but there is zero roaming off VZ, and no overseas coverage. It is super inexpensive. It is also kind of a PITA to set up -- there's no store to help you out, you'll have to do it online with the help of TW chat. If you are at least somewhat tech savvy, it's not that bad. Once it's up and running, and you have auto-pay set up, it's pretty seamless. Mrs. C's monthly bill for 1 phone, 6 gb data, unlimited talk/text, is around $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Man, it really does, except on price. Phone feels really nice. I think. Was tough to tell with those stupid tethers that Best Buy has on them. Haha. Very premium phone, though. What's wrong with yours?
    The charging port is acting up. Some things only work in one direction, which is not how USB-C is supposed to work. Also, the port doesn't always recognize when headphones are plugged in (doesn't have a separate headphone jack, you use the USB-C port).

Like El Chup, I'm on Fi. And I like how it works. The cell coverage is generally good enough (although my wife's verizon phone does have service in places I don't). I really like the way it seamlessly uses wifi. If I have access to wifi, the issue of cell reception is irrelevant as all my calls and texts happen over wifi. And of course, if you buy as part of a plan sign up, you can finance the phone to lessen the blow.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The charging port is acting up. Some things only work in one direction, which is not how USB-C is supposed to work. Also, the port doesn't always recognize when headphones are plugged in (doesn't have a separate headphone jack, you use the USB-C port).

Like El Chup, I'm on Fi. And I like how it works. The cell coverage is generally good enough (although my wife's verizon phone does have service in places I don't). I really like the way it seamlessly uses wifi. If I have access to wifi, the issue of cell reception is irrelevant as all my calls and texts happen over wifi. And of course, if you buy as part of a plan sign up, you can finance the phone to lessen the blow.
    That's a bummer. I wonder how widespread that issue is. As much as I loathe the idea of doing a payment plan, Best Buy seems to have the Pixel 3 128GB for $18.74 x 24 months which seems to work out to $449.76. That appears to be like half price. At least at first glance. Am I reading that correctly or is this some marketing smoke and mirrors? I hate being bound to my stupid carrier, but seems like a relatively good "deal" if it is at it appears.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-...?skuId=6303046

I use Fi when I go to Canada several times a year. I have also used it in Germany and Romania ( Bucharest) and loved it. The coverages isn't wonderful where I live (VT). So I finally just relented and use an AT&T SIM we have on the group plan my wife used. I use Hangouts and WhatsApp with my Fi Network so I don't have to give out a whole new number. It's a bit of a pain, but it's what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Mrs. C's Moto G4 just bricked, so after shopping around for whatever was available cheap + fast, we got her a Moto G6 32gb version. Bought it from Total Wireless, which is the carrier she uses -- and also means it is carrier-locked for 12 months -- but it was $150 before ebates new account credit + CB, which brought it down to low $100s. It is larger than the G4 and larger than she wanted, but IMHO it is about the best cheap phone available now.

The Moto X4 is available for similar low price and has slightly better specs, but it is older than the G6, so like riser3 said, expect support to end sooner for the X4. Look on slickdeals for whatever cheapest deals are available right now.

Both the X4 and G6 have the stupid glass back, which makes a case mandatory.

I have had a G6 for a couple months now, and like it. Bought mine through Google Fi, so completely unlocked, and nearly stock Android -- only a couple of Moto apps that are actually sort of useful (shake flashlight and clock/weather/battery widget). Charges fast and charge lasts a long time. The Total Wireless G6 came with a couple of TW apps pre-installed, but otherwise still pretty close to stock Android.
    Since the G7 is almost out, I would choose the 64gb X⁴ over the G6 if I had to buy today because of the wicked price drop on the X⁴. Tomorrow? I don't know.

That's a bummer. I wonder how widespread that issue is. As much as I loathe the idea of doing a payment plan, Best Buy seems to have the Pixel 3 128GB for $18.74 x 24 months which seems to work out to $449.76. That appears to be like half price. At least at first glance. Am I reading that correctly or is this some marketing smoke and mirrors? I hate being bound to my stupid carrier, but seems like a relatively good "deal" if it is at it appears.
    64gb is probably enough storage. Especially if you use google photos. Saves your $5/mo. That's a great deal.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-...?skuId=6303045

I'm not sure why I would ever need more phone than the Moto G series phones.

Camera maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    64gb is probably enough storage. Especially if you use google photos. Saves your $5/mo. That's a great deal.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-...?skuId=6303045
    Yeah, that adds up to $120 over the 2 years. Not insignificant. However, I LOAD my external storage up with data since it's kind of the hub of my mobile office and since these don't have expandable storage (boooooooo), I might need to pony up for the 128GB version if I go the Pixel route. Lame. Since it can't take a microSD card, I have a feeling I'd be regretting not going for the larger version.
    Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post

Camera maybe.
    Funny thing is it's not about wanting "more" phone, but rather less. Moto G series is great and what I currently have, BUT the entire series is getting too hudge for my taste. Another problem mine has proven to me is unreliable GPS. Other funky issues at play, but that's been it's biggest downfall for me. I've forgiven its shortcomings because it's still an insane value so I've never felt any room to complain for the price. For 90% of people, the Moto G's are pretty perfect. I never even bothered with a case because I've treated it like a disposable phone, but man, this thing's taken a beating and keeps on ticking. Pretty impressive durability actually, especially for it's seemingly cheap build quality. Always had to laugh at all my friends with their cracked iPhones (front AND back).

Unfortunately, from what I'm seeing, MOST smaller phones like I want only come with 16GB internal storage and have too many compromises overall. The Sony Xperias and the Pixel 3 seem to be the only ones I'm finding that check all the boxes I want but too bad they're so pricey. The Sony looks good but it's like $500 and it came out nearly a year ago. Pixel's only a few months old and still seems fresh, so I'm starting to lean toward that route. Plus I can depend on them more for timely OS updates. No way am I spending full retail, though. Will try and see what that Best Buy deal's all about.

I went with the 128g because I didn't want to regret it later.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I bought my Pixel 3 with 32gb from Best Buy (online) on Black Friday and am paying $16.66/month for 24 months, which was a good deal so getting a 128gb for that price right now seems like a really good deal to me.

I loved my LG G3 but after the touchscreen went bad it was time and the Pixel 3 fit me needs the best.

128 is an absolute minimum. 256 is even better.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Well, I'm back in the market for a new phone after years of getting by with my Moto G4. I bought it as a temporary phone after I broke my old one and ended up using for years since it turned out to actually be pretty decent primarily for its excellent battery life. Needless to say I'm pretty unspoiled so my Moto has made me realize that I don't need super high end specs. Anyway, I thought I'd ask the collective what's up these days? Been shopping at local cell suppliers like the Verizon stores and Best Buy and been pretty disappointed with what I"m seeing. Funny how those big Verizon stores have like 3 phones to look at and the one I might be interested in is one of those stupid dummy displays with the printed on screen. Lol. Anyway, these are my top priorities:

• OS: Android, and as close to bone stock as possible. I freaking hate the redundant apps and silliness that Samsung, LG, etc. pack in there. Can you say Bixby?
    • Screen: SMALL-ish. I'm tired of the phablet trend. My Moto G4 is too big. My old Moto X (1st gen) hit a real sweet spot, even if that was on the larger side of comfortable for me.
    • Battery Life: Must be excellent. I can often go a couple days without charging. I'm spoiled in this regard. I'd hate to be one of those people tethered to a charger. Especially when traveling.
    • Storage capacity: 32GB internal would be fine, but expandable storage via microSD is a must. My current phone is 16GB and apparently the OS has become so over-bloated that it's taking up like half of it. I don't even have that many apps installed and it's always bugging me to clear up space since it's out of room.
    • GPS: Must work reasonable well. Mine is garbage on my phone. Never works right. I do a lot of travel for work, so this is a must.
    • USB-C: Because Micro-USB is old and crappy.

From what I'm seeing out there, the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is the one that checks the most boxes for me, but I'm seeing enough reviews stating questionable battery life and odd GPS results that I have to take pause. Also not familiar with its OS overlay and wonder how close to stock Android it is. I'm probably willing to from $200-500 for a new phone but not willing to spend a grand like all the flagships. Wish Google still had a reasonably priced phone like the old Nexus was. That series was great and relatively inexpensive to boot. Too bad they've gone full Apple since, with the current Pixel series. Liked what I saw at the store, but like $800+? Lol nope. Anyway, what am I missing? I'm sure there's GOT to be a phone out there that fits the bill, right?
    Define smallish in inches for us please. I am not going to google the specs on Moto X first gen to see if it was 5 inches or what.

As for the Sony. I've had 1 Sony Xperia that was a few generations back now (version 5 maybe) It was a Verizon Xperia Z?v Verizon edition (maybe Z2v or Z3v) and it had a few Sony specific apps from the Sony Store on it. Their photo app, a Sony music app, and possibly a few others that I ignored or did not use. It's biggest issue was it was a single radio, so if you were talking then no data could be used at all until you hung up. Then the messages would be flowing in and getting caught up after you quit talking. Also it has a glass back and of course like all a sealed non-removable battery. One day the battery life just dropped dramatically. By the time I got the unit so I could move my messages and call history (2 items that were not backed up to the cloud via Google) the back was starting to come off due to the swollen battery. It filled a need though because my previous Samsung was getting the same memory full messages and the internal memory of 16 gb was filling up regularly with use (some apps, but as you use a phone the cache and just the OS's and updates...) I never did try and move apps or uninstall any regularly used apps... That was what will be this week 2 phones ago and a few years back...

Moto is coming or has maybe even started shipping their version 7 of a few models. Have not looked at the specs compared to the version 6 which were a bit of a disappointment compared to the version 5's which were pretty nice phones for the money...

Everyone is going big screen 5 inches and higher for the most part (except Apple still has a few models that buck that trend but of course are IOS and not Android...) No bloat Google Pixel are the best. Any of the models with XL are not going to be on your radar due to the XL screen size. Look if there are any deals on Pixel 2 if you budget is not $500 or up probably...

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Define smallish in inches for us please. I am not going to google the specs on Moto X first gen to see if it was 5 inches or what.
    My old Moto X had a 4.7" screen which seemed huge at the time. Now I can only WISH I could get a nicer set with that. I'd be happy with something around the 5" mark these days I suppose. Current phone has a 5" screen but it has big bezels so the overall device just feels too big to one hand comfortably. Seems that some newer phones make better use of the real estate so even the Pixel's 5.5" screen seems more manageable than mine.

As for the Sony. ...It's biggest issue was it was a single radio, so if you were talking then no data could be used at all until you hung up. Then the messages would be flowing in and getting caught up after you quit talking.
    This is one of my biggest gripes about my current Moto G4. Really annoying how when I'm using it as a hotspot I can't take a call without getting kicked off the internet, or when I get off a long conference call my phone starts blowing up with texts and other notifications. Seemed antiquated on that front when my ancient TMO (LG) G2X from freaking 2011 could handle doing double duty like that. That was a good phone.

It filled a need though because my previous Samsung was getting the same memory full messages and the internal memory of 16 gb was filling up regularly with use (some apps, but as you use a phone the cache and just the OS's and updates...)
    SO annoying. That's what I'm dealing with right now. I hardly have anything on here either. It's ridiculous how overbloated everything is when even (what should be) a fairly lightweight app hogs up a ton of space for the program alone. Poor programming if you ask me, but it is what is as devs get spoiled by more capacity. Guess I gotta get with the times.

Maybe still more than you're looking to spend but Costco had some pretty decent prices on the 8 series Samsung phones when I was there the other day. Seems like they were offering a discount off the MSRP as well as a gift card/rebate. A shiny new S8 ought to mark all your boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    A shiny new S8 ought to mark all your boxes.
    Except the "OS: Android, and as close to bone stock as possible. I freaking hate the redundant apps and silliness that Samsung, LG, etc. pack in there." box.

Austin - Pony up for the Pixel or go Moto and live with the shortcomings. For what you're looking for that's really about it. Big screens are simply here to stay and you're just going to have to live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Except the "OS: Android, and as close to bone stock as possible. I freaking hate the redundant apps and silliness that Samsung, LG, etc. pack in there." box.

Austin - Pony up for the Pixel or go Moto and live with the shortcomings. For what you're looking for that's really about it. Big screens are simply here to stay and you're just going to have to live with that.
    Exactly. Screen off, I saw the Samsung S8 and was like "Hey this is nice!" Then I tried it for about 2 seconds and was like "Nope!" I don't care how nice Samsung does their hardware (and they do make some solid choices), I just can't bring myself to deal with their software side of things. Hey, Samsung: Android's nice enough as it is. Just leave it alone already!

BTW, I went ahead and bit the bullet (I think?) on the Pixel 3 128GB through Best Buy online. Annoying to get to this point today, though! This morning I was like "Screw it. I'm just gonna go pick one up right now." Went to Best Buy, went to their giant Pixel display aaaaaand they only had 64 GB models. Asked an employee if they had the 128, so they looked it up and ends up it's a "Best Buy online exclusive." AAAARGGH. So I went a few miles down the road to the Verizon store to give them a shot at price matching the BB deal. They not only didn't have the 128 in stock either, telling me they only stock 64's, but they were unwilling to price match. Employee tried to help, attempting everything he could on his computer, and placing several calls to the higher ups. No go. So I got back to my office to just order it online from Best Buy aaaaaand sold out. "Not currently available. Available soon." Dammit! I went ahead and went through the ordering process anyway to at least get in their queue. Deal seems to be legit, though. Assuming I actually ever get the phone that is. Essentially half price, so no wonder it's sold out. Nobody else came close.

Just ordered a gdm Chinese phone with a 10, 300 mah battery.

For $50 shipped.

I'm going to use it primarily as a gps because of the huge battery.

I now have a Moto g6 and the battery sucks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Just ordered a gdm Chinese phone with a 10, 300 mah battery.

For $50 shipped.

I'm going to use it primarily as a gps because of the huge battery.

I now have a Moto g6 and the battery sucks.

Sorry GSM. phone not gdm

Fwiw, I was a CyanogenMod guy for years early on in the android days. I used lots of custom roms and jumped around a good bit from vanilla to heavily skinned stuff. I find the current gen Samsung skin (tmobile note 8) to be mildly offensive but livable, especially after disabling a bunch of bloatware.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post

Camera maybe.
    Except if you use Fi, the 64gb Moto X⁴ is a better deal if you want a phone right now.

Exactly. Screen off, I saw the Samsung S8 and was like "Hey this is nice!" Then I tried it for about 2 seconds and was like "Nope!" I don't care how nice Samsung does their hardware (and they do make some solid choices), I just can't bring myself to deal with their software side of things. Hey, Samsung: Android's nice enough as it is. Just leave it alone already!

BTW, I went ahead and bit the bullet (I think?) on the Pixel 3 128GB through Best Buy online. Annoying to get to this point today, though! This morning I was like "Screw it. I'm just gonna go pick one up right now." Went to Best Buy, went to their giant Pixel display aaaaaand they only had 64 GB models. Asked an employee if they had the 128, so they looked it up and ends up it's a "Best Buy online exclusive." AAAARGGH. So I went a few miles down the road to the Verizon store to give them a shot at price matching the BB deal. They not only didn't have the 128 in stock either, telling me they only stock 64's, but they were unwilling to price match. Employee tried to help, attempting everything he could on his computer, and placing several calls to the higher ups. No go. So I got back to my office to just order it online from Best Buy aaaaaand sold out. "Not currently available. Available soon." Dammit! I went ahead and went through the ordering process anyway to at least get in their queue. Deal seems to be legit, though. Assuming I actually ever get the phone that is. Essentially half price, so no wonder it's sold out. Nobody else came close.
    May want to start playing with some of the rooting and loading alternative builds of Android if you are that set on base Android - CyanogenMod and the like. Root the device, head over to the different Android forums that are like EpicSki to get the discussion going on the best phone and OS build and have even more control than a Pixel would offer... Voids any warranty of course though on a new phone... Second the idea that Cruiser offered up above after I typed all this out.

May want to start playing with some of the rooting and loading alternative builds of Android if you are that set on base Android - CyanogenMod and the like. Root the device, head over to the different Android forums that are like EpicSki to get the discussion going on the best phone and OS build and have even more control than a Pixel would offer... Voids any warranty of course though on a new phone... Second the idea that Cruiser offered up above after I typed all this out.
    That's all too much work for me these days. I used to love playing with rooting my phones, cyanogen, and diving deep to optimize and customize my phone like when I had my old school HTC MyTouch 3G (the 2nd Android phone on the market I think). Funny how over the years though, Google has ripped off a ton of ideas and functions from the mod community, and honestly it's become pretty good to me bone stock. The main thing is I don't want all the fluff and bloat that so many phones come with. I don't have the time like I used to for messing very much with it. I just want to be able to turn it on and start using it without all that prep work first. That's why many of the Moto phones, the former Nexus phones, and now the Pixels really appeal to me. Now for Best Buy to just ship me my phone already!!!

Been two weeks and my Pixel 3 128gb is STILL on backorder (from Best Buy). How long should I give these mofos before I pull the plug? Got a business trip coming up and I better have something new before then as my old one's been acting too screwy to rely on for travel. It's a pretty good savings going through them, so I'm willing to wait a hair longer but starting to get annoyed.