Page 94 of 97 FirstFirst ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, I am about to pull the trigger on an iPhone 14 cyber Monday deal. I have a Pixel 6 that I simply do not like for a variety of reasons. I travel internationally, and using the I-messaging (and text?) without an international plan is enticing (for times I am not using Whattsapp).
    Also transferring files, pictures, etc, from user to user seems simpler with the Apple ecosystem.
    I am sure this was discussed, (I canít search the whole thread this minute) but any reasons NOT to get a 14 plus?
    Anything I will truly miss about Android?
    TIA
    This is totally subjective but I made the switch to IOS last year for iMessage, as my mom texted from her iPad and just couldn't figure out the difference between iMessage and SMS, so I wouldn't get a lot of her texts.

Overall, it was pretty comparable from a UX standpoint but I found it much more glitchy than my Samsung. My Samsung (and now Google) could go weeks or even months without having to ever reset. Not the case with the iPhone. I also hate the apple ecosystem but that's pure preference.

Long story short, I went back to Android.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I am sure this was discussed, (I can’t search the whole thread this minute) but any reasons NOT to get a 14 plus?
    Anything I will truly miss about Android?
    TIA
    Honestly, the iPhone's evolved into a pretty good product. They've done a good job with making the switch from Android to Apple and it's less painful than it used to be. iOS has incorporated a ton of standard features Android's had for years (then Apple acts like it's some grand new innovation lol). Anyway, my wife made the switch from her Pixel 4a to a newer and wonderfully sized little iPhone due to sizeflation across the Android world and honestly, she's come to like it a lot. I still prefer the stock Android UI, BUT credit where credit's due, iOS has come a long way over the years. I say give it a whirl and if you hate it, switch back to Android with a newer Pixel 8 (a quantum leap forward from the more lackluster 6).

Cyber Monday deals on Pixel 8 for $550. That's a pretty good deal. Just ordered one from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    This is totally subjective but I made the switch to IOS last year for iMessage, as my mom texted from her iPad and just couldn't figure out the difference between iMessage and SMS, so I wouldn't get a lot of her texts.

Overall, it was pretty comparable from a UX standpoint but I found it much more glitchy than my Samsung. My Samsung (and now Google) could go weeks or even months without having to ever reset. Not the case with the iPhone. I also hate the apple ecosystem but that's pure preference.

TLDR, user error

I had the first iPhone and then as soon as Androids were released with touch screens I never looked back.

Last time the family cell phone contract was up I ordered the new Samsung at the time it was two refreshes later of the same Galaxy I was using. While waiting for the phone I started reading reviews and battery life was a big problem. Thatís my #1 gripe, so I cancelled the order and ended up with an iPhone 13. Iím definitely a convert. It was hard for about a month, but now after two years I canít imagine going back. Longevity is a big advantage. I think Iíll get at least a year more of life than I was getting out of Samsungs.

One thing I really don’t like about the pixel is the form factor. That raised portion that holds the cameras (I call it ‘Bender’s eyes) really bothers me, it makes the phone massively thick with a decent case.
    Another thing I didn’t like about the Pixel 6 was that the screen didn’t work as a touchscreen with a screen cover, no way, no how.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

One thing I really donít like about the pixel is the form factor. That raised portion that holds the cameras (I call it ĎBenderís eyes) really bothers me, it makes the phone massively thick with a decent case.
    Another thing I didnít like about the Pixel 6 was that the screen didnít work as a touchscreen with a screen cover, no way, no how.
    I have a Pixel 7 Pro and I actually like the bar on the back. At least the phone sits level on a desk. I found a glass screen cover that works great. The fingerprint reader overall isn't as good as Samsung. I'm not a fan of the curved screen, though. My biggest gripe is that they use the worst 5G modem around. It has connection issues a couple times a week. Will probably be switching back to Samsung when the S24 comes out. Will definitely miss the Pixel camera.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Honestly, the iPhone's evolved into a pretty good product. They've done a good job with making the switch from Android to Apple and it's less painful than it used to be. iOS has incorporated a ton of standard features Android's had for years (then Apple acts like it's some grand new innovation lol). Anyway, my wife made the switch from her Pixel 4a to a newer and wonderfully sized little iPhone due to sizeflation across the Android world and honestly, she's come to like it a lot. I still prefer the stock Android UI, BUT credit where credit's due, iOS has come a long way over the years. I say give it a whirl and if you hate it, switch back to Android with a newer Pixel 8 (a quantum leap forward from the more lackluster 6).
    Apple needs the three buttons at the bottom of the screen and then I might get consider it: back; home; running apps. I fucking hate swiping. More than I fucking hate wiping.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

Iím not trying to convince anybody to switch to an iPhone, but I couldnít tell you the last time I had to reset or reboot anything. And I pay attention because that used to be a thing you would need to do five years ago. Not everybody has the same experience and thatís fine, just want to point out that a glitch-free experience is possible, anecdotally. If you want to wander away from anecdotes the numbers skew heavily in favor of iOS being less glitchy than android. Not to get too lost in reality or anything.

A long time ago I consciously took a more permissive and less prescriptive approach to my technology and stopped tying my anger/frustration/satisfaction up into silly bullshit like that. They move a button or want me to swipe or whatever, I take it as a personal challenge to be as adaptable as the next guy and usually within a few days (if not hours) I forget how it used to be. As long as those who are creating the UI are smart professional people, which is true across major platforms, Iíll be more adaptable than you are, dude.
    focus.

I'm not thrilled with my pixel 6 after almost two years. I'm definitely an Android fan and I like the ez Google integration but it's glitchy. I end up needing to restart a few times a week when it shows it's connected but it really isn't and it freezes sometimes making it hard to restart. The big one though is Gmail only opens links in my personal email not in my work Gmail. I've spent hours with Google support and they can't figure it out either.

I just swithced to a Samsung Galaxy after having iPhones for 15 years. As a developer I've never liked apple software and UI, but I do like their hardware. I'm more than happy with the switch.

I've never exactly understood this notion that Apple products are more intuitive--between PCs and Macs, but especially between iPhones and Androids. The differences just aren't that big. I think iPhones are nice, but hardly worth the price premium.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm not thrilled with my pixel 6 after almost two years. I'm definitely an Android fan and I like the ez Google integration but it's glitchy. I end up needing to restart a few times a week when it shows it's connected but it really isn't and it freezes sometimes making it hard to restart. The big one though is Gmail only opens links in my personal email not in my work Gmail. I've spent hours with Google support and they can't figure it out either.
    Very similar problems on this end. My GPS/mapping is also glitchy, which made wandering around Lima at 9:00 pm a bit of an adventure (it is a convoluted city). My Strava is also borked.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Both of my pixel devices had functional hardware shit the bed in less than two years of ownership, the antenna and then the speakers and mic. If my iphone makes it through the spring I'll consider it a win. It would take a really compelling reason to try a pixel again after being burned twice and I never cared for the non-native android skins.

The only thing I consistently miss about android is the universal back gesture on both edges but many apps for iphone have something akin to the swipe gesture on a macbook, most importantly safari. The free tier of icloud is an absolute joke for storage, you will eat up the 5GB surprisingly fast.

I've had a pixel 6 pro for a while now, its been great. No issues. Camera is awesome. Still snappy fast ui. I like how you can customize the UI with different launchers, etc... my wife spendsore time on customer support calls trying to figure out why her apple shit isnt working right.
    I had the first few iPhones, but when they started trying to lock everyone not in their ecosystem out, I decided that's bogus and not gonna do it. No apple for me.
    sigless.

iPhones have become rock solid now. Iíve had iPhones since they debutedÖ..2,3gs,4,6,7,8,11pro,14promax.
    Only one Iíve never had an issue on is the 14promax. The days of resetting them is over. But yes, I remember those days too.

This phone is hands down the best Iíve ever had and itís been glitch free.

What phone now?

I had a iPhone 5s, then a 7. I got a 15pro this fall and expect to have it many years to come as well. Never had issues of resetting them.
    I am befuddled by all the phone changing in this thread

My company bought most of mine. Not the last two though.

Very similar problems on this end. My GPS/mapping is also glitchy, which made wandering around Lima at 9:00 pm a bit of an adventure (it is a convoluted city). My Strava is also borked.
    The GPS in my Pixel 7a is wonky as hell, and searching has yielded no results, not even people with the same problem. Your post is the first I have seen like this. What does yours do?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have noticed some GPS lag on the Pixel 6a, a delay in updating location. A city with tall buildings is understandable, but even with nothing overhead. Did not have same issue with pixel 3a. Google has made maps so bloated, I think that might be the issue. But have also seen in Gaia.

i havenít had to reset an iphone in ages.

funny thing is that itís not even easy to turn them off or restart them anymore even if you had to.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Bumping this - I need help.

I just upgraded my iPhone8 to an iPhone15 pro.

The old device has 2.5gb of music stored locally. A large portion of it was ripped from CDs and vinyl that I purchased before there was such a thing as an iPhone. I don't remember how I downloaded the ripped music files to the iPhone 8. These files may have been on the iPhone 4 I had prior to the 8.

The entire iPhone 8 library is backed up to iCloud on my PC.

I'm trying to transfer the entire library, both ripped and purchased from itunes store, from iCloud onto my iPhone15. I spent four hours on tech support calls and got nowhere except royally pissed off.

Anybody have any ideas to make this happen?
    TIA

Dude, same thing happened to me. Tech support, all that shit, took it to my local apple store. They all laughed at me. I uploaded my whole CD collection back when I had an iPhone4. Had an iTunes account, lots of purchased music. Then one day out of no where my music stopped sharing with the cloud. The Cd's I had started randomly disappearing. The iTunes songs I purchased were there one minute gone the next. I tried everything. Sync this, download that. Total bullshit. Finally got an Apple asshole to acknowledge Apple fucked me. My music isn't compatible with my iPhone anymore. Their solution sign up for a monthly subscription to Apple Music and you can listen to whatever you want. I told them to fuck off. My wife had an account and added me to it. I'm still mad but what choice do I have.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Bumping this - I need help.

I just upgraded my iPhone8 to an iPhone15 pro.

The old device has 2.5gb of music stored locally. A large portion of it was ripped from CDs and vinyl that I purchased before there was such a thing as an iPhone. I don't remember how I downloaded the ripped music files to the iPhone 8. These files may have been on the iPhone 4 I had prior to the 8.

The entire iPhone 8 library is backed up to iCloud on my PC.

I'm trying to transfer the entire library, both ripped and purchased from itunes store, from iCloud onto my iPhone15. I spent four hours on tech support calls and got nowhere except royally pissed off.

Anybody have any ideas to make this happen?
    TIA
    You need to do it through Apple Music, I don't know the specifics on a PC. My understanding is that music isn't played from iCloud storage but a specific music folder.

You may be able to find something useful if you access iCloud from a browser.

YouTube premium. No ads and all music under the sun 15$ a month. I don't have TV etc so it's a very fair price for my media.