Page 61 of 97 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Not super cheap anymore?
    Seems like a year or two ago it was very cheap, but I didn't want to buy a Pixel (no headphone jack). I just checked and it would cost $60/mo for 4 gb right now. That's roughly what I pay Verizon, and around here the service is WAY better than Tmobile/Sprint, whose towers Fi uses. If I needed the international service it could be worth it, but when i leave the country I'm happy to lose service.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Seems like a year or two ago it was very cheap, but I didn't want to buy a Pixel (no headphone jack). I just checked and it would cost $60/mo for 4 gb right now. That's roughly what I pay Verizon, and around here the service is WAY better than Tmobile/Sprint, whose towers Fi uses. If I needed the international service it could be worth it, but when i leave the country I'm happy to lose service.

My price hasn't changed. I rarely use more than half a gig of data. And I use international enough for it to be worth it to me.

A few months ago i bought a ulefone with a10, 000 mah battery, good for 3 days of heavy use.

Great phone, 250, got it from China, it's also on Amazon.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    It appears that Fi is not super cheap anymore, though

Project Fi was only super cheap for those that did not use much cellular data (spend time on wifi or just not many apps that need higher data like streaming), that really has not changed. The pricing I am seeing is still about what it was when they announced the service as a beta invite. However they now have a hard data cap for their $80 for 6 GB of data (always $10 per GB used up to max of 6 GB with bill protection option. After that data is free up to 15 GB, at which time you still can use the phone with throttled data, or you can opt to continue to get high speed data past the 15 GB by paying the $10 per GB fee and not be throttled...

People that want to pay only for the amount of cellular data they really use (not a bucket of data that they may not use all of and lose it at renewal) are the ones that love Project Fi - along with as stated by some others the roaming data while travelling outside of the US.
    Last edited by RShea; 05-22-2019 at 06:40 AM.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Oh yeah! This too! The lack of a headphone jack in my Pixel 3 is a bigger annoyance than I would have thought previously. I know many have moved on to wireless only solutions, but my dinosaur of a vehicle only has a 3.5mm aux input. On top of that, my favorite pair of headphones that I own are corded. Been forced to use my also excellent Bluetooth headphones (thankfully they have aptX) but my wired ones are still better. Same goes for my preferred earbuds. They too are corded.

If my Pixel 3 ever breaks, I think I might "downgrade" to the 3a. Wish it was out when I was shopping a few months back. Wasn't even announced then.
    My S8 has a headphone jack, but use a bluetooth adapter so I don't need to have my headphones connected to my phone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_062052.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	283336

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Project Fi was only super cheap for those that did not use much cellular data (spend time on wifi or just not many apps that need higher data like streaming), that really has not changed. The pricing I am seeing is still about what it was when they announced the service as a beta invite. However they now have a hard data cap for their $80 for 6 GB of data (always $10 per GB used up to max of 6 GB with bill protection option. After that data is free up to 15 GB, at which time you still can use the phone with throttled data, or you can opt to continue to get high speed data past the 15 GB by paying the $10 per GB fee and not be throttled...
    Exactly. Plus international [w/ data roaming at same price as domestic!!!]. This is huge. And I get why this doesn't fit everyone. Honestly, the Fi coverage isn't great here. However it's ok enough that I put up with it. I don't stream much over data. And if I do it's usually Pandora, which isn't bad.

I am toying with getting a Verizon network MVNO like TracFone to throw in the phone when I want better coverage in certain areas. Hopefully that works, I need to research a little more [CDMA, bands, whitelisting, etc]. Anyone using their Fi Moto X⁴ on Verizon or with a Verizon network MVNO? I already do this with my daughter's AT&T [GSM, duh] card when she is away for school and not using it. This works because I use Hangouts for text and voice. It doesn't use much data. I know that folks here had mentioned the Pixel phones when I had previously expressed a desire for a dual SIM Fi compatible phone. What I have read says that the eSIM plus the SIM slot does NOT equal a real dual SIM. Bummer. I still might upgrade from my X⁴ to a Pixel 3a.

Exactly. Plus international [w/ data roaming at same price as domestic!!!]. This is huge. And I get why this doesn't fit everyone. Honestly, the Fi coverage isn't great here. However it's ok enough that I put up with it. I don't stream much over data. And if I do it's usually Pandora, which isn't bad.

I am toying with getting a Verizon network MVNO like TracFone to throw in the phone when I want better coverage in certain areas. Hopefully that works, I need to research a little more [CDMA, bands, whitelisting, etc]. Anyone using their Fi Moto X⁴ on Verizon or with a Verizon network MVNO? I already do this with my daughter's AT&T [GSM, duh] card when she is away for school and not using it. This works because I use Hangouts for text and voice. It doesn't use much data. I know that folks here had mentioned the Pixel phones when I had previously expressed a desire for a dual SIM Fi compatible phone. What I have read says that the eSIM plus the SIM slot does NOT equal a real dual SIM. Bummer. I still might upgrade from my X⁴ to a Pixel 3a.
    If you want to try a Verizon tower MNVO there are usually better options than Tracfone. But it depends on if you really just want it for emergency calling, moderate usage or high usage. Red Pocket has some deals for annual service (Verizon Red as well as the other carriers so you have to be careful when you order it.) 3 months (90 days) of 500 minutes, 500 texts, 500 mb of data - which maybe low for some but ok for testing out for $29... 2 other Verizon monthly plan offerings would be Boom.US or Selectel wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If you want to try a Verizon tower MNVO there are usually better options than Tracfone. But it depends on if you really just want it for emergency calling, moderate usage or high usage. Red Pocket has some deals for annual service (Verizon Red as well as the other carriers so you have to be careful when you order it.) 3 months (90 days) of 500 minutes, 500 texts, 500 mb of data - which maybe low for some but ok for testing out for $29... 2 other Verizon monthly plan offerings would be Boom.US or Selectel wireless.
    Right, anyone use any of them with an X⁴? I use between 250MB and 600MB usually per month. However, when I am at the higher end, it usually involves travel to a place where Fi has better coverage. So I need to be able to switch "easily", ie no constant re-registration of the device and easy or no settings changes. I use TracFone for two of the kids. It fits perfectly for one of them. I need a better solution for the other who uses more data than I want to pay for. Once he's a little older the solution is called "get a job".

Once he's a little older the solution is called "get a job".
    If he's old enough for a smartphone, chewing up gigs of data, then he's old enough to mow a lawn or shovel a drive here and there.

Worth upgrading to the Pixel 3a from an iPhone 6? My phone still "pretty much" works, a few bugs here and there. I'm more interested in getting more out of Fi. Trying to decide if I should just wait and try to pick up a Pixel 3 when the 4 comes out this fall. Also, another fan of Fi here. Usually costs me ~$30/mo and gets good coverage here in the southwest.
    It sucks to suck.

What phone now?

Oh yeah! This too! The lack of a headphone jack in my Pixel 3 is a bigger annoyance than I would have thought previously. I know many have moved on to wireless only solutions, but my dinosaur of a vehicle only has a 3.5mm aux input. On top of that, my favorite pair of headphones that I own are corded. Been forced to use my also excellent Bluetooth headphones (thankfully they have aptX) but my wired ones are still better. Same goes for my preferred earbuds. They too are corded.

If my Pixel 3 ever breaks, I think I might "downgrade" to the 3a. Wish it was out when I was shopping a few months back. Wasn't even announced then.
    I bought one of these to make my AUX Jack a Bluetooth connection in my highlander. It works pretty well and was an inexpensive solution to that problem (vs buying a new car...).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009N...b_b_asin_title

Quote Originally Posted by meeb69 View Post
    I bought one of these to make my AUX Jack a Bluetooth connection in my highlander. It works pretty well and was an inexpensive solution to that problem (vs buying a new car...).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009N...b_b_asin_title
    There ya go! Something like that would be just the ticket for my driving needs. And like you said, a helluva lot cheaper than buying a new car. Thanks!

Dang. That thing made me go out to look at my 2005 Odyssey to see if it had a headphone jack.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Dang it, I saw that T-Mobile had a trade-in deal going for the Pixel 3a, but just went to their site and looks like the deal ended last week. I still might get one. Seems like a great phone for the price.

If he's old enough for a smartphone, chewing up gigs of data, then he's old enough to mow a lawn or shovel a drive here and there.
    We told him that. And I don't buy him more data when he runs out.

We told him that. And I don't buy him more data when he runs out.
    Lol. That's hilarious. Smart man. I can just imagine the conversations. "Daaaaad. My phone's out of data." "Go buy more then." "I don't have any money." "Well go earn some then." "Meh." "Well, I guess you don't want the extra data THAT badly then." "Yeah, I guess I can make it 'til next month."

Lol. That's hilarious. Smart man. I can just imagine the conversations. "Daaaaad. My phone's out of data." "Go buy more then." "I don't have any money." "Well go earn some then." "Meh." "Well, I guess you don't want the extra data THAT badly then." "Yeah, I guess I can make it 'til next month."
    Two months. TracFone plan I get is for 60 days. And I already buy him an extra GB more than his brother. Budget or shut up. His choice.

No one is mentioning the best part of pixels: you get the Google call screener,which is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    No one is mentioning the best part of pixels: you get the Google call screener,which is amazing.
    Used it on my father in law yesterday. He wasn't impressed. I was.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Oh yeah! This is an unbelievable feature for sure. I have my Google Assistant set to use a female British accent. It's awesome. The spam calls have quite nearly all but stopped.

google call screener?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    google call screener?
    Google it. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Google it. I did.
    Yep,if you get a call you can answer, ignore or screen. When you screen, the Google assistant talks to the person and asks why they're calling - you see a live transcription in text and can pick up anytime.

The new frog phone with ribit ring tone looks pretty hawt.

Name:  kermit.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  94.2 KB
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Google Fi Blog:

So, my primary credit card expired this month, and the bank sent me a new card that I never received. So they had to close the account and issue a new card/number. The now-closed card was set to autopay my Google Fi account, and I got a notice that my card was declined. I immediately went to my account and replaced the card with the new one.

My new card was never charged. I have contacted google's support twice (because there are horror stories of how google fucks this shit up royally, and cuts your service off for non-payment), and both times they tell me all is good, my card is or will be charged. The last time (yesterday) they referred to the statement that was generated the day before yesterday and will be auto-payed on the 30th. I looked at that statement, and it shows last month's balance as paid in full.

So, what is the likely outcome here?
    1. They charge my card for 2 months on the 30th.
    2. They never catch this glitch and I never pay for last month.
    3. They come after me at some point in the future for failing to pay that bill.

How many times am I supposed to contact them asking for them to charge me before I give up?
    So, option 1 is off the table, they did not charge the past due amount. Do I keep hounding them, or simply forget it and see if they eventually catch their own error (and hopefully just charge me and not shut my phone down or something like that).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy