Page 66 of 97 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Google Fi is running a promo for Black Friday: Moto G7 phone is $99, with activation on Fi.

I have a G6, and am using Fi. Worthwhile upgrade? I've been mostly happy with the G6 -- only exception is that the fingerprint sensor stopped working a couple months ago, so can't unlock phone with fingerprint.
    Warranty the G6?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Warranty the G6?
    I should have, when the fingerprint sensor stopped working. I'm out of warranty now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I should have, when the fingerprint sensor stopped working. I'm out of warranty now.
    Did you buy it with a major credit card? If so, most cards automatically double the manufacturer's warranty. It's deep in the fine print.

Name:  Phone_Escape.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  236.8 KB

Yeah, but where are the flying cars?

I can't quite seem to figure this one out, I am having a brain block. I have a Google Fi group plan and I obtained a data only SIM. I want to use it initially in a Moto G6 Play (Android 9) to handle some stuff for work under their BYOD policy. And then I want to have my son use it in a different G6 Play when we go to Spain in February. Sounds great so far.

Unfortunately to get it to work, the Fi app has to be installed and I have to log in with MY Google ID. Or I have to pay to add another full member to the plan and use that ID, which defeats the purpose of a free data only SIM. I verified this on the phone with Google.

In both use cases I don't want either phone to have access to my main Google account's information, mail, etc. I created a second Google ID that I had hoped to use. According to Google I can't hook the DO SIM to that.

I tried using the instructions for "other" devices. I set up an APN pointing at Google with the SIM inserted. That doesn't work. It's worth noting that installing the FI app and setting up access the official way removes the option to see and manipulate APNs. I had to reset the device to play with APN settings.

My last thought was to set up the BYOD "work" device with my primary Google ID, configure Fi, and then create a second user with my secondary ID to run the work related stuff. However, Moto has removed that option. It isn't there in their rollout of Android 9. And I am not sure if the second user will have access since it won't be running the Fi app directly. I suppose I can test it on an older phone that still has multi user enabled.

I found some instructions to restore the ability to create multiple users on the device, without rooting the phone (which is forbidden under the BYOD policy). However I am not sure if it's legit or even worth it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone have any insight? I will probably spend the money to add my son to the Fi plan for our trip and then cancel it. However, figuring out data for the BYOD work device will make on-call coverage a little less of a drag. The painful option is to just run it as a WiFi only device and use the hotspot on my Pixel 3a. There's one work app that doesn't install well without its own mobile data. And yes, I will be carrying two devices.

anybody got any wisdom on trying to unlock phones with ATT? Jesus H. Christ.
    "Can't you see..."

Riser - I've successfully used the data only SIM cards on other phones, but only tied to my own Fi account on my phone, which is hooked up to my one Google account.

Fi has fairly helpful chat online - they can at least answer your question, even if the answer turns out to be negative on what you are trying to do with a secondary Google account.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Riser - I've successfully used the data only SIM cards on other phones, but only tied to my own Fi account on my phone, which is hooked up to my one Google account.

Fi has fairly helpful chat online - they can at least answer your question, even if the answer turns out to be negative on what you are trying to do with a secondary Google account.
    Yes and yes. Instead of chat I just called and they answered my question, in the negative.

I figured out multiuser. They moved it and buried it in a menu. So now I have Fi access configured on the phone with my primary ID, and a second user logged in that can't see my primary account info. At least not casually. I have no idea how truly isolated it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Only one I tried was a tablet that I picked up on clearance. It was never even activated on their service, which I thought maybe an issue and I did get the code to free it but never did go elsewhere with a data sim in the device.

I have a samsung s5 on tmobile and just use local sim card for international travel. It is fine for me, but would like something with better camera and the 600MHz (and other rural) frequency so hoping for sales after xmas. Deciding between Pixel 3a and sansung s8 active. Would be nice not having a case with the s8 active, but pixel doesn't have bloatware and has an awesome camera and option for FI. Anyone have experience with both? s8 camera do well?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I have a samsung s5 on tmobile and just use local sim card for international travel. It is fine for me, but would like something with better camera and the 600MHz (and other rural) frequency so hoping for sales after xmas. Deciding between Pixel 3a and sansung s8 active. Would be nice not having a case with the s8 active, but pixel doesn't have bloatware and has an awesome camera and option for FI. Anyone have experience with both? s8 camera do well?
    Never used a Samsung. I have a 3a. Get one. And get Fi, as long as you have decent local coverage. The 3a is a cool mid tier phone. I went to Canada on Saturday. Works great. I've used Fi a bunch since 2016 in Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick on a Nexus 5x, Moto X⁴ and the Pixel 3a. I used the Nexus in Germany and Romania with Fi in 2017. For the work portion of the trip, it was nice not having to rely on WiFi and being able to text with my local colleagues. The other international colleagues had to keep hitting hotspots. I like Fi. I don't do heavy streaming or other heavy data use, my normal monthly is about 400-600 MB. When I travel I might get to 1.5 GB. My daughter is on the plan and she is in Canada 8 mos of the year for school. She likes having Fi this year and having data (my old X⁴). She was previously using a local plan with no data that was pricey. She's allowed on the plan because it's my plan and I'm in the US, plus we activated her SIM here. I just got a data only SIM for a work device for when I'm on call. I am going to put my middle kid on the plan in February when we go to Spain, and then cancel it.

^^^For the FI defaulting to open wifi networks, do you have to sign into each wifi host or is it completely seamless.

^^^For the FI defaulting to open wifi networks, do you have to sign into each wifi host or is it completely seamless.
    Yes, you would have to sign into new wifi networks; if it's a network you've connected to before and your phone "knows" it, then just like any other device it will connect to it automatically. I don't think anyone would want a phone that signs into random wifi networks without you giving it permission to do so; not sure if that was your question or not. But if I was talking on my phone while out on a walk, and then got back home, the phone would automatically connect to my home wifi and "transfer" the call from cellular data to wifi, seamlessly.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes, you would have to sign into new wifi networks; if it's a network you've connected to before and your phone "knows" it, then just like any other device it will connect to it automatically. I don't think anyone would want a phone that signs into random wifi networks without you giving it permission to do so; not sure if that was your question or not. But if I was talking on my phone while out on a walk, and then got back home, the phone would automatically connect to my home wifi and "transfer" the call from cellular data to wifi, seamlessly.
    From the FI webpage:
    If you use a phone designed for Fi, your phone will always keep you on the best signal by intelligently shifting between three mobile 4G LTE networks. When available, phones designed for Fi will also automatically connect to millions of secure Wi-Fi hotspots for faster data, calling, and texting.
    My question is do they force you onto one of their "secure wi-fi hotspot" despite having cell or is it just defaulting to the my list of wi-fi sign ins?

From the FI webpage:

My question is do they force you onto one of their "secure wi-fi hotspot" despite having cell or is it just defaulting to the my list of wi-fi sign ins?
    I have never noticed my phone connecting to random networks that I have never connected to previously. Maybe there's a setting I have turned off, don't know, but again, my phone only connects to known networks. That said, I have xfinity as my internet provider, and they have tons of hot spots, and places like Starbucks have uniform network names, so the phone does automatically connect to those networks even if that particular location is a new one for me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    You log into a web page and send a code and then it should unlock within 24 hours.

I ended up getting an unlocked pixel 3a. Haven't used the camera for outdoor action shots, but very impressed with other modes. Very happy with the no Samsung or network bloatware. Transfer of music, contacts, very easy off the samsung s5. Finger print unlock is cool.

Odd the home and back button are not buttons and are on the display, but seems to work fine.

I have not plugged in the t-mobile sim card yet.

Complaints:
    Pixel app launcher is clunky. Need to look at configuring.
    No USB a to c cable included!

If T-Mo works where you go, and you don't use a huge amount of data, consider switching to Fi. United Cellular is also good to have as an underlying Fi carrier, I see it in some surprising rural areas. Fi is especially good if you will be traveling internationally, even just to Canada, assuming 406 is your area code. I believe Fi roams internationally at a higher speed than T-Mo's free international coverage (if they even still offer that?). And I use Nova Launcher per some advice way earlier in this thread. I paid for it and it's worth it to me to get rid of the Google search bar. You might like it. I find my 3a to be a decent phone.

Refresh!

My Pixel 3 XL has been inexplicably crapping out. The other day it required a hard wipe and boot and has been buggy ever since. Assuming I can get a phone from Verizon right now, what's the latest and greatest?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Make sure it has digital audio out capability.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Don't get a 3a.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Refresh!

My Pixel 3 XL has been inexplicably crapping out. The other day it required a hard wipe and boot and has been buggy ever since. Assuming I can get a phone from Verizon right now, what's the latest and greatest?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Wait for OnePlus 8 pro. Another month if the covid shit doesn't delay. That's what I'm getting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thoughts on the iphone SE? Currently on a Moto G5 plus which has a broken camera.

Having the Moto phone has certainly raised my awareness of the Google creep factor. Some of the stuff they do is handy, but the overall omnipresent collection of data is weird. Is Apple actually any better in that respect? Have toyed with going back to a dumb phone as well but don't think I can get away with that professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wait for OnePlus 8 pro. Another month if the covid shit doesn't delay. That's what I'm getting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I was momentarily excited about the OP8 Pro, but then I learned that it doesn't have a headphone jack. Bummer. For $900 they could have added one and gained me as a customer. I'll stick with LG, I guess.

Oh, and the privacy thing is a real concern. I love to hate on the Apple cult, but their corp practices WRT privacy are a lot less sketchy than Google's. Rooting one's phone can give some control, but that's impossible on the latest ones, and a solid amount of work on any of them. Keep location turned off when you can, and police the individual apps' settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.