Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What phone now?

What phone now?

Title pretty much says it.

My Droid 2 has been good but it's getting kind of hinky lately, weird freezes and assorted other occasional weird shit, it's pretty much okay but I have an upgrade available... I'm fine with Android, and I'm not a hacker or any of that shit. I live in google world so Android suits that fine, although my computer is a mac, so I guess I could go either way.

I've been thinking either Droid4 for the keyboard (I've always had the keyboard and dig it) or Samsung Galaxy Nexus for the latest android os, big clear screen and speed. I guess I wouldn't buy an iphone 4s, my next phone will have 4G, so who has an idea of how long until the iphone 5?

Whatcha got or whatcha thinkin'?

Galaxy S3 releases today, I believe

I was having the same problems with my Droid X lately and finally had to do something about it this week. There's a slim chance the iPhone 5 could come out in June, but otherwise it probably won't come out until October (based on past release cycles this is much more likely). So I said screw it and just got the iPhone 4S - and I have to admit it's a huge improvement. Everything runs much smoother, especially the apps.

jgb@etree Guest
    What carrier?

If Verizon, and you decide to get an iphone, let me know. The Mrs picked one up a 64gb 4s in December and regrets not getting a blackberry. I'll trade the scratch free (it's in a rubber case) iphone (costs like $350 if upgrading) for a blackberry 9930 that you should be able to score for <$100 on upgrade. You keep on using your old phone for a few days, and send me the BB. She can then activate her line on it, and I'll then wipe the iphone and send it to ya (overnight if you want) and you can activate it on your line.

I've been floating "fair" deals out there for months to get rid of the thing so I don't have to listen to her bitch about how badly it sucks and have had no luck. I'm sick of the bitching and finally ready to dump the thing at a loss for a "real phone". As you can see, I'm not exactly recommending the iphone, but if it's what you want this is probably the best deal you can get.

It just seems stupid not to get 4G when I'm in a 4G area most of the time, not that I spend all that much time waiting for shit on my current phone.

edit: jgb that's a fair trade (better than fair, really), just kinda not psyched on the 4S, I'll think about it. I am on Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Scratch that, I misread bbc news - wont be available in us til summer

Gotta say, that sounds pretty sweet, 4.8" screen, thin...the facial recognition stuff is pretty wild, the way it won't dim out while you're reading something but goes dark when you're not looking at it to save battery is Skynettish but cool.

Collection of reviews.

Scratch that, I misread bbc news - wont be available in us til summer
    Man I just spent the last 10 minutes reading about it!

oh well.

If you want a slider keyboard now (vs on screen keyboard) like on the Droid 2, then you are limited to probably the Droid 4, or maybe the Samsung Stratosphere (newer than the LG Enlighten). The Droid 4 definitely has a better processor (dual core) and memory. Both are 4G LTE.

If a slider full keyboard is not still wanted, and or Android is not the OS of choice, then there are more options. I'd suggest you try the Apple IPhone 4S if you want to give something other than Droid OS, but there is no keyboard other than the touch screen (but 3rd party add ons are out there)

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    What carrier?

If Verizon, and you decide to get an iphone, let me know. The Mrs picked one up a 64gb 4s in December and regrets not getting a blackberry. I'll trade the scratch free (it's in a rubber case) iphone (costs like $350 if upgrading) for a blackberry 9930 that you should be able to score for <$100 on upgrade. You keep on using your old phone for a few days, and send me the BB. She can then activate her line on it, and I'll then wipe the iphone and send it to ya (overnight if you want) and you can activate it on your line.
    Man, that's a sweet deal. I was all over that but the best 4G 9930 I can seem to get on upgrade is a pre-owned for $150. Verizon upgrade sucks any more.

Apologies for the hijack, IM. PM me jgb if I'm doing something wrong.

No worries meadow man. RShea - yeah the keyboard, it's kinda hard to say. I've never not had it so I'm used to it, but would I quickly get used to typing on the screen? Dunno. So it still comes down to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Droid 4 or iphone 4s unless I want to wait for the iphone 5 or the Galaxy S3.

I'm not sure there's much anyone can do to help me make the decision now that I think about it more, they're different enough options that you just gotta go one way or the other I guess. but thanks.

Got the Samsung Captivate a few months ago and am very happy about it--similar thing where my old Droid (too old--was a first generation phone) started having issues. Didn't think the new one would be that much of an improvement (over how the old worked when it was new), but it really is. Can't imagine how good these things will be in the next few years given where they already are.

And the keyboard is the best phone keyboard I've used.
    [quote][//quote]

Guys, I am on Sprint and was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch and the Motorola XPRT, as it has a blackberry type keyboard, not the touch screen type like the Samsung. Reviews on the Motorola are not so good which sucks, as I have had real problems typing on a touch screen keyboard in the past on a HTC phone. Can fat fingers learn to type well and fast on the Samsung? I do a lot of email and ease of typing is super important to me. Sorry for the thread jack Ice. I didn't want to start another phone thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You can get used to typing on the Android keyboard, it's not that much of an adaptation from the blackberry.

But the best improvement I've made to my nexus S is to download the Swype keyboard. It takes a little time to get used to but it's by far the best input method. Better than blackberry and iPhone.

DOOD, I am in the EXACT same boat as you. My Droid 2 has been freezing, shutting down, not opening the camera, and other shit lately, but I love the keyboard. The wife just took my upgrade for a 4S and loves it. My laptop is a MacBook Pro, but I too live with Google. I'm not sure about how much memory I need.

Yeah you and me, gatorboy. What are you thinking of doing?

l2s, I think that XPRT is the same phone a the Droid 4, just on Sprint. and that Samsung is either the same phone as the Nexus or just about the same, so no threadjack at all, especially when I'm also a bit concerned about losing the keyboard I've gotten used to, just like you. What way are you leaning?

The main complaint about the Motorola seems to be the screen, and it actually looks pretty good in person, it's just not the best available. And apparently the Samsung is easily readable in outdoor light and the Motorola isn't, which is pretty big to me. I can barely read my Droid outside at all and it's a pain sometimes. So it's kinda the screen vs. the keyboard, which is more important? I'm not sure myself.

If the Motorola screen is harder to see in daylight than the Samsung I would stay away from the Motorola, because I can hardly read the Samsung screen in bright light. I didn't know some were worse than others with that, but I can't imagine using a phone that's worse in that regard than my current Samsung. Would make it basically unusable outside on a bright day.
    [quote][//quote]

My droid (HTC) has been doing funky shit lately too. Re booting after closing some apps, randomly losing my photos and music, etc. Sometimes the photos and videos come back, but never when you want them. It's getting kind of slow too. I've decided to get the iphone next, I'm going to try and hold out for the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    l2s, I think that XPRT is the same phone a the Droid 4, just on Sprint. and that Samsung is either the same phone as the Nexus or just about the same, so no threadjack at all, especially when I'm also a bit concerned about losing the keyboard I've gotten used to, just like you. What way are you leaning?
    Ice, I am really use to the way a Blackberry feels in my hand and I love the keyboard buttons of a Blackberry compared to the nightmare of a touch screen keyboard I had on a company HTC phone. I also like that the Motorola phone works on the Euro cell system. Bummer is, in reading the reviews, it just sounds prone to issues, which I have never had in all my years with Blackberry's. So ya, I want a Blackberry type keyboard, 4G speed and reliability. I will go check out the Samsung as the Swype keyboard may be the ticket and the ratings on that phone are really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No worries meadow man. RShea - yeah the keyboard, it's kinda hard to say. I've never not had it so I'm used to it, but would I quickly get used to typing on the screen? Dunno. So it still comes down to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Droid 4 or iphone 4s unless I want to wait for the iphone 5 or the Galaxy S3.

I'm not sure there's much anyone can do to help me make the decision now that I think about it more, they're different enough options that you just gotta go one way or the other I guess. but thanks.
    If you go with Verizon still, they have a Worry Free Guarantee (exchange) policy of 14 days that allows you to try out a new phone (maybe Apple IPhone is not part of their exchange- check if that is the one you want to try) so you can have a bit of time to try one out. There maybe a fee if you do exchange, so check the details before you sign the renewal contract.

If you like the Blackberry style (typically a smaller screen with a keyboard at the bottom of the device (not a slide out) then there is also a Droid Pro. But again it is not 4G LTE.

Funny how you mention hard to see the screen outside. Damn near impossible, and especially with polarized lenses. I prefer the brightness of the 4S over the ease of a full keyboard. I also don't like the camera on the Droid.

I'm going to get the Apple in June/July (when wife's upgrade is available). I can learn to live without the full keyboard. Also, I would like to wait for the 5, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Yo Ice,

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I gotta give 3 thumbs up for my Galaxy Nexus. I've had mine since Xmas time and I am in love with it. My wife has the IP4S (which is also super nice), but IMO the Gnex takes the cake easily. The larger screen kills it, performance is way better than some of the older gen android phones, Ice Cream Sandwhich is the perfect mobile OS (especially for google service users), and the phone is svelte enough for easy pocketability. Seriously can't go wrong with it. Hit me up if you have any other questions.

I used to think I needed a keyboard, but have gotten used to the virtual keyboard. Swype makes typing emails really easy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

buy an iPhone 4 used, wait for iPhone 5 on contract.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel