Page 77 of 97 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

Anyone get a Pixel 6 yet? Looks like a good deal with Tmobile (I like the wifi calling option) if I trade in my Note 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I’m assuming it hasn’t been updated in a while, no?
    I think it updated to iOS 9.3.6 about a year ago, back when Apple got in shit for their engineered obsolesence in their OS support. Hasn't updated since. Still runs the TGR app smooth as silk though

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Anyone get a Pixel 6 yet? Looks like a good deal with Tmobile (I like the wifi calling option) if I trade in my Note 5.
    All of the pixels have been based on wifi calling. My pixel 3 does it seamlessly/automatically. Works great
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Reading all this, I feel so inadequate with my iPhone 4S. ?
    Wow! I thought my 6s was old. Im impressed

Also using a 6s still. Work phone/acct. milking for as long as possible. My work doesn’t offer phones anymore for peons like me. It’s all BYOD at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    My aging Pixel 3 just had Android 12 land today! That is one reason that Pixel gets my vote still. Any Pixel. WAAAAAAYYYYY better long term OS support than any of the Android competition. If I had to buy a new phone today, it'd probably be the new Pixel 6. I just wish the screen wasn't so freaking big, but I guess I'm the outlier on this one so what do I know?
    I guess I had better fire up the 3a occasionally and check.

My Pixel 6 Pro arrived today. Love it so far. Very fast, smooth, no bullshit, great UX and very intuitive. Set it up in under 10 minutes. So far, so good.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    My Pixel 6 Pro arrived today. Love it so far. Very fast, smooth, no bullshit, great UX and very intuitive. Set it up in under 10 minutes. So far, so good.
    My 5a works great, too.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

I got a pixel 6 last week also, but not the pro as I don't need anything more than the 6. Very smooth and quick coming from a galaxy S8. I got a phone case from Amazon, but the screen cover prevents reading of the fingerprint so I may return it.

FWIW, though Apple and ATT are saying 4-6 weeks for an iPhone 13 Pro, I ordered one last week and received it two days later.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

for anyone who knows about kid phone options, see my post asking questions here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...38#post6477038

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Not sure what thread to post in, the phone thread may not capture all the parents, so...

Looking to possibly get my 5th grader a phone. But we're not ready to have her jump into the deep end, we're just tired of her having to grab our phones to talk to friends. Any advice on what to do?

Wants in a phone:
    Phone calls
    Texts
    Games?
    Reasonably durable

Needs:
    Parental controls: Ability to control surfing, ability to control calls/texts (ie who she can contact), etc
    Low/reasonable cost

Mom has Verizon, I have Google Fi, if that matters. Verizon offers some deal where we'd pay $50 for a kid's plan and mom would get a new iphone, kid would get her old iphone. Unlimited data (and of course "free" phone). Is that the best deal?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What phone now?

Bump. I have a moto g5 plus (aka potter). The OS is old and not supported by google. I’d like to upgrade to a custom ROM to get the latest security and capabilities. This involves rooting, twrp-ing, etc., which are a bunch of things that I barely understand. Google-fu isn’t working for me. Is there a good and clear primer (maybe a video or podcast) that explains all of this stuff for a critical thinking layperson?

The authority for rooting is XDA. Looks like you can do it with that phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/h...-plus.3579659/

It is intimidating at first, but if you poke around on there you should be able to sort it out. Def expect that you will lose 100% of the data on your phone. Also, be sure to have a backup phone in case it takes a couple of days to get yours working again.

I would start with just rooting it and getting it working with a stock ROM. You'll learn a lot. Once you're comfortable with that, you can go through again and put on your ROM of choice.

Be aware that some carrier stuff like texting and voicemail can be tough to get working as smoothly after a root. You'll also likely lose google pay and a few other things that check for root. It's well worth it though to gain total control over your property.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    I got a pixel 6 last week also, but not the pro as I don't need anything more than the 6. Very smooth and quick coming from a galaxy S8. I got a phone case from Amazon, but the screen cover prevents reading of the fingerprint so I may return it.
    Can't that feature just be disabled?

I grabbed a pixel 6 pro 256gb the other day. So nice. Snappy, responsive, love the gestures to navigate the phone. I installed Microsoft launcher, had it on my last two phones. Recommended.
    Bonus, when my older one plus 6 was removed from att system (assholes) they sent me a galaxy s9 for free, and that qualified for $800 credit to the pixel (not assholes), so it's like $3/mo for the pixel. Good deal. Sold my one plus on eBay for $100.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I grabbed a pixel 6 pro 256gb the other day. So nice. Snappy, responsive, love the gestures to navigate the phone. I installed Microsoft launcher, had it on my last two phones. Recommended.
    Bonus, when my older one plus 6 was removed from att system (assholes) they sent me a galaxy s9 for free, and that qualified for $800 credit to the pixel (not assholes), so it's like $3/mo for the pixel. Good deal. Sold my one plus on eBay for $100.

Forgot to update this thread.

I switched back to my Samsung because the Pixel absolutely refused to recognize my wifi automatically. I live in a rural area and there's a dead zone between end of the mobile network and wifi at my house. This meant I'd often get home and miss calls or the like because the Pixel simply wouldn't join the wifi unless I did it manually every single time. I've read this is an issue and tried a few recommendations but nothing worked.

Thank God work pays for my phone(s).
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The authority for rooting is XDA. Looks like you can do it with that phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/h...-plus.3579659/

It is intimidating at first, but if you poke around on there you should be able to sort it out. Def expect that you will lose 100% of the data on your phone. Also, be sure to have a backup phone in case it takes a couple of days to get yours working again.

I would start with just rooting it and getting it working with a stock ROM. You'll learn a lot. Once you're comfortable with that, you can go through again and put on your ROM of choice.

Be aware that some carrier stuff like texting and voicemail can be tough to get working as smoothly after a root. You'll also likely lose google pay and a few other things that check for root. It's well worth it though to gain total control over your property.
    Thx for the recommendations. I still haven’t done this, but still plan to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Forgot to update this thread.

I switched back to my Samsung because the Pixel absolutely refused to recognize my wifi automatically. I live in a rural area and there's a dead zone between end of the mobile network and wifi at my house. This meant I'd often get home and miss calls or the like because the Pixel simply wouldn't join the wifi unless I did it manually every single time. I've read this is an issue and tried a few recommendations but nothing worked.

Thank God work pays for my phone(s).
    I am not having that issue, for another data point.

sigless.

Anyone here using iPhones on T-Mobile in Tahoe? Need to get the wife a new phone. She def requires an iPhone, just wondering if anyone is using a model 11, 12, or 13 on TMob in Tahoe city and /or the world’s newest ski area name resort

I should add that I lived the Pixel 6 Pro and would love to live in a world where I didn't have that one issue.

What phone now? My criteria are, sub $250CAD, a reasonably recent os, 'droid. Was thinking Pixel 3 but they're no longer supported so I'm less keen. I don't give too many fucks about screen resolution, picture quality...

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    What phone now? My criteria are, sub $250CAD, a reasonably recent os, 'droid. Was thinking Pixel 3 but they're no longer supported so I'm less keen. I don't give too many fucks about screen resolution, picture quality...

Suggestions?
    I am the worst cell phone guru ever, but this fucking little mini brick that I picked up for cheap is actually fucking fantastic. I had to go to my phone to tell me what it's name is, but it's a moto g power. I honestly get 2+ easy of days of charge out of it, and it just lets me tap buttons and make calls. All I need. I have no idea if it is still made, but the thing has been dropped many times, been out well below any zero, takes shitty cell phone pics enough to post and cost me basically nothing. I would count it as a friend. Much better than any 4 digit dollar phones I've owned, and I would gladly replace it should (I will) destroy it. I'm actually very impressed by this little piece of tech. That's a hard sell on me, and I ain't spancered.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thing #1 and I both have the Moto G Power (2020) on Fi. One was $99 and the other $49. The kid seems to be doing everything right and the battery is going strong a year and a half later. Like two days strong. I unfortunately am a battery killer in every phone I've ever owned. I used to get two days. 80-60% after first day. 40-20% after second. I never tried for a third. Now I'm in the 40s after a day after having it for a year-ish. There was an Android version upgrade somewhere in the middle. I don't like plugging it in in the middle of the day or having a dying phone at 4pm when I decide to do an errand. I'm probably doing the charge thing wrong. I plug it in every night so it's a 100% in the morning. My expectations don't meet the reality of how these batteries work. Im not sure how to keep it between the internet recommended 80 and 20 and not have to watch it charge during the day.

Mrs C and I have that same generation (1 gen older than current version) Moto G Power. I like it a lot.

FWIW they are fast charge capable, and the charger that comes with the phone will do it. Motorola calls it turbo power, and it'll display on the phone when connected to a fast charger. So if you need to charge mid day it doesn't take long.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post

Suggestions?
    Don't know CAD dollar prices, but either used or refurbished phone of 3 or so generations back (so Samsung S10 maybe or Google Pixel 4 maybe in good condition) or one of the A series- seem to be sold for the MVNO companies in the US or for someone that does not want to spend over $300 for a phone new. Other would of course be Motorola that seems to keep offering decent devices for under $500 new still. Should be able to go to the CA Motorola web site and get a idea of if the pricing on the G series (Play, Power, Pure or Stylus) and go from there.