Page 69 of 97 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

I upgraded my 3a to the 5 because I end up paying less.

Can the outdoor enthusiasts comment on it's waterproofness? Most people need waterproof for dropping their phone in the toilet. I don't, but I occasionally get caught on the rain. I always worried about having a bag for the 3a. Otherwise I love the 3a, I kinda feel guilty I'm replacing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post

Can the outdoor enthusiasts comment on it's waterproofness? Most people need waterproof for dropping their phone in the toilet. I don't, but I occasionally get caught on the rain. I always worried about having a bag for the 3a. Otherwise I love the 3a, I kinda feel guilty I'm replacing it.

IP6 means submerged in 3 feet of water for 30 min. Thats what the 5 is rated. Youll be more than fine in rain...even prolonged.

I can barely get through a day on a single charge on my 3a.

I can't comment on the 5, but my Pixel 2 was rated similarly and survived a few dunkings (though I always quickly grabbed) and multiple times being in my pocket in the rain. Just be warned: If you ever need have it opened up to be repaired (e.g. getting a new screen), it's not clear that it's as waterproof afterward. I was more careful with mine after I had to have the screen replaced.

The water resistance was one reason I considered the 5 over the 4a, but the price difference was so great for me that I could buy a number of 4as in case I somehow soaked and destroyed one (I just moved to the desert, so rain isn't as big an issue anymore). I liked the feature on my 2 though.

riser3, here was the subscription plan I was talking about that I bought the phone through:
    https://fi.google.com/about/phone-subscription
    It says $15 a month, but it's only $ 9 if you decline device protection.

Wait there's a phone that lasts more than a day?

Yea the 3a battery is smaller. It lasts me a day, but if I want to ride for 5+ hours with Google maps and strava I better make sure it's full when I head out. Charging is quick so no problem.

Can I expect the 5 with 4000mah to last considerably longer just GPS tracking, and with the occasional map usage?

Wait there's a phone that lasts more than a day?

Yea the 3a battery is smaller. It lasts me a day, but if I want to ride for 5+ hours with Google maps and strava I better make sure it's full when I head out. Charging is quick so no problem.

My daughter, who watches a bunch of Netflix is barely denting the battery of her Moto G Power in one day. Less than 20%. The marketing says 3 days. But the damn thing is big and heavy like a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I can't comment on the 5, but my Pixel 2 was rated similarly and survived a few dunkings (though I always quickly grabbed) and multiple times being in my pocket in the rain. Just be warned: If you ever need have it opened up to be repaired (e.g. getting a new screen), it's not clear that it's as waterproof afterward. I was more careful with mine after I had to have the screen replaced.

The water resistance was one reason I considered the 5 over the 4a, but the price difference was so great for me that I could buy a number of 4as in case I somehow soaked and destroyed one (I just moved to the desert, so rain isn't as big an issue anymore). I liked the feature on my 2 though.

riser3, here was the subscription plan I was talking about that I bought the phone through:
    https://fi.google.com/about/phone-subscription
    It says $15 a month, but it's only $ 9 if you decline device protection.
    Ok. Two year agreement, other fine print. What's old is new again.

My semi-permanent redhead roomie midget chick went to Wal Mart, got an Iphone 11 and a $500 gift card for buying the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ok. Two year agreement, other fine print. What's old is new again.
    I mean, you don't get the discounted price on the phone if you leave Fi, but as the phone's pretty cheap already, that wouldn't be a big consideration if I decided to switch providers. I thought the 4a was a fine deal at $350. It's not as if you signed up for any provider contract that has a fee to break.

It looks like that in tests, the Moto Power G can stream video for 18 hours while the 4 A can do so for 12 hours. The Power G seems like a good deal, particularly if you don't want to charge your phone very often. I didn't look too closely, though, as my brother has disliked his (probably previous gen now) Moto G on Fi in comparison to his wife's Pixel 2. I also was looking for a smaller, lighter form factor as I tend to keep my phone in my front pocket, so the Power G was less appealing. If I need more than a day's battery life (for camping or the like), I'll just toss a little power bank in my pack. But the Power G seems pretty serviceable for $150.

PSA I went to Verizon yesterday with my teenager to get her a new iPhone. They have a promotion going on that gave her almost $580 credit for her old iPhone 8. Walked out of there with a new iPhone 12 for about $270. (Retail cost is $850.)

Couple caveats: The old phone must be paid off, and the $580 is credited to your account monthly for two years, to offset the monthly device payment. So you need to keep the iPhone 12 for two years to get the whole $580 credit. But it all works out.

Are these unlocked, off name rugged phones on Amazon any good? The Oukitel phones with huge batteries and Android 10 or 11 are pretty cheap. I'm hard on phones, I usually break the screen in the first few months and then have to baby the thing for the next year and a half until I'm done paying AT&T for the stupid thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Are these unlocked, off name rugged phones on Amazon any good? The Oukitel phones with huge batteries and Android 10 or 11 are pretty cheap. I'm hard on phones, I usually break the screen in the first few months and then have to baby the thing for the next year and a half until I'm done paying AT&T for the stupid thing.
    I have never heard of that brand. So I would definitely read reviews on them. If they build them too cheap, then the case or screen breaks just looking at it wrong. You are better off with a good Gorilla glass screen to start out on the phone, put another glass protective screen over that (some of the better ones have screen warranty included like Zagg etc.) and of course some sort of protective case or cover helps also. Or just purchase used 2 generations back phones that are already slightly scratched and disposable if you smash it.

Also better check with the carrier you plan on using any off brand phone to see if they will accept it and is compatible too.
    Last edited by RShea; 01-21-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Just a couple of days on my iPhone 12 mini but stoked so far. Spectrum Mobile, $45 unlimited. Interesting business arrangement between Verizon and Spectrum, since 5G networking in urban areas makes use of Spectrum’s internet architecture so I’m told.

Hoping the 5G access will protect me from the ‘rona.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Just a couple of days on my iPhone 12 mini but stoked so far. Spectrum Mobile, $45 unlimited. Interesting business arrangement between Verizon and Spectrum, since 5G networking in urban areas makes use of Spectrum’s internet architecture so I’m told.

No, it spreads the 'rona!

Anyone ever switched from a regular verizon unlimited plan to verizon prepaid and seen any change in service?

Some internet searching claims you'll get bumped to the end of the line in terms of priority in areas of high volume by being on pre-paid but wanted to see if the collective has any experience with that. At this point I don't use enough data to justify the plan I'm on now and would be better served with a 5gb plan. That gets down to like 35 a month after a couple months of autopay and would be basically half the cost I pay now.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

I heard that when you get vaccinated your 5G phone will stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Anyone ever switched from a regular verizon unlimited plan to verizon prepaid and seen any change in service?

Some internet searching claims you'll get bumped to the end of the line in terms of priority in areas of high volume by being on pre-paid but wanted to see if the collective has any experience with that. At this point I don't use enough data to justify the plan I'm on now and would be better served with a 5gb plan. That gets down to like 35 a month after a couple months of autopay and would be basically half the cost I pay now.
    We sort of did this. A long time ago, Mrs C and I were both on Verizon contract plans. I left for Google Fi, she switched to Total Wireless, which is a Verizon MVNO. I have since switched to Total also. We both have Android phones - friends who tried Total with iPhone had poor reception in our same area. On Android, it's been fine - no difference in data coverage, phone voice quality, etc.

I recall something about Verizon allowing roaming onto other towers, if you have a V account - but no roaming with a MVNO. In all the time we had V contracts, I don't remember ever roaming onto any other carrier tower anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Recently inherited a Pixel 3. Don't like it as well as the S5 before it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Recently inherited a Pixel 3. Don't like it as well as the S5 before it.
    Don't know if there is a different "S5", do you mean the Samsung S5? Because the Pixel 3 is light years better (I owned an S5 and have a Pixel 3). Less bloatware and a far superior camera.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, I was still using a Samsung S5. #2014remembers. It's probably just familiarity. On the S5 I could push the button on the top right to mute calls and turn the screen off. Doing that on the Pixel 3 doesn't work as well. The picture quality is better on the Pixel 3 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Yeah, I was still using a Samsung S5. #2014remembers. It's probably just familiarity. On the S5 I could push the button on the top right to mute calls and turn the screen off. Doing that on the Pixel 3 doesn't work as well. The picture quality is better on the Pixel 3 for sure.
    I think it will just take some adjustment time (as is often the case when you switch phones). As someone who owned both for 2 years each, the Pixel 3 is far superior and I don't even remember what things I liked about the S5.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Verizon in fact does do prioritization on their network and towers. The first and highest are the post paid plans- what used to be their old Contract plans. Data and voice at high congested areas (think of things like concerts, stadiums, etc. that had large crowds before Covid 19) would get first access. Then the next level down would be the prepaid phones. Final and last would be anyone that is a roaming partner (like US Cellular or a few others that Verizon has roaming agreements with)... So prepaid may have a few seconds delay in a call, or the data may in fact be a lower speed (some of the MNVO- like Tracfone, Straightalk, etc.) may or may not get slower 4G data access, it really depends on the contracts and agreements as 3rd party cellular using the Verizon towers and networks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think it will just take some adjustment time (as is often the case when you switch phones). As someone who owned both for 2 years each, the Pixel 3 is far superior and I don't even remember what things I liked about the S5.
    Biggest plus on the S5 was removable and replaceable battery. Pretty much the last Samsung Galaxy that had that... S5 was a good phone- my brother still is carrying an S5 even though he I gave him a newer S7 with more memory, better processor, and all that goes with the at that time newer series of Samsung's.

Bumping for updated current info...

Best deal on a mid grade Android right now???

on Sprint, need decent camera, storage, good battery life, headphone jack, kinda able to take a little beating. I keep my phones 4-5 years so a replaceable battery is nice.

Don't need bleeding edge power or fancy functions, just phone, internet, pictures, music.

Currently have a Nexus 6p, but multiple physical issues are making a replacement necessary. If i didn't drop the shit out of it, technologically it would still be fine for me except for the mediocre camera

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Bumping for updated current info...

Best deal on a mid grade Android right now???

on Sprint, need decent camera, storage, good battery life, headphone jack, kinda able to take a little beating. I keep my phones 4-5 years so a replaceable battery is nice.

Don't need bleeding edge power or fancy functions, just phone, internet, pictures, music.

Currently have a Nexus 6p, but multiple physical issues are making a replacement necessary. If i didn't drop the shit out of it, technologically it would still be fine for me except for the mediocre camera
    I'm on a 4a 5g and I'm happy with it. World class camera, great battery life, and everything else is good enough.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk