Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1665

Thread: What phone now?

  1. #1526
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    20,650
    Ordered a Moto G7 from Amazon on Monday and it came about 24 hours after I ordered it. Prime Day deal was $200 and so far it sure seems like a great phone for that price. I was all set on getting the Pixel 3a until I saw this deal.

  2. #1527
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,259
    No NFC though, which is annoying since I use Google pay on occasion (mostly when I have forgotten my wallet).

  3. #1528
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    20,650
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    No NFC though, which is annoying since I use Google pay on occasion (mostly when I have forgotten my wallet).
    I didn't even realize such a thing existed, so don't think I'll miss it much

    However, I can already say I miss the Apple Car Play version of Amazon Music. For some ridiculous reason the Android version doesn't allow you to search your music by artist or album like the Apple version does.

  4. #1529
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Ordered a Moto G7 from Amazon on Monday and it came about 24 hours after I ordered it. Prime Day deal was $200 and so far it sure seems like a great phone for that price. I was all set on getting the Pixel 3a until I saw this deal.
    Picket line crosser.

  5. #1530
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,593
    Anyone using Xfinity/Comcast mobile? I recently switched to Xfinity internet and the mobile plans have me intrigued. Talk/text is free, $12/GB data. Compared to Fi I could see this cutting my monthly bill in half. Fi's CS has also totally gone to shit, but I do love how seemless the WiFi calling works when somewhere with internet but poor cell service.

  6. #1531
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The CH
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anyone using Xfinity/Comcast mobile? I recently switched to Xfinity internet and the mobile plans have me intrigued. Talk/text is free, $12/GB data. Compared to Fi I could see this cutting my monthly bill in half. Fi's CS has also totally gone to shit, but I do love how seemless the WiFi calling works when somewhere with internet but poor cell service.
    I switched to Xfinity mobile about 6 months ago. It works. It is a lot cheaper than Verizon.

  7. #1532
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,785
    I have xfinity mobile. Like it. The $12 per gig was too much trouble. The good thing is you can switch from measured to unlimited or back anytime.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #1533
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    So now it makes sense to add my daughter to my Fi plan. Can't figure out which route to go for a phone. I have an X4. Do I get her a G7? Fi is sold out of the G6, otherwise I'd do that as it is hard to beat $99. Do I give her the X4 and get a Pixel 3a? Its more than I want to spend. Even withe hudge price cut, the Pixel 3 is not in the budget. The 3a really isn't either. I like that the x4 is water and dust resistant. I feel like the G7 and 3a are both a step down from the X4 in some regards.

  9. #1534
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    683
    I just got a Galaxy s10 (bogo, so one for the wifi) for $15 extra a month after doing some magic on our plan which included having a 3rd line, - turning my wife's old one into a house galaxy note 8 phone and giving her a first responder special line -, giving us unlimited everything with hotspots. For the last two years after my s7 broke I've used shitty flip phones/cheap zte smartphones, so I'll have to readjust to playing in the big leagues.

    Originally I was going buy a referb pixel 2, but in the end I would have paid more or about the same when you include activation fees for that compared to two s10s

  10. #1535
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    683
    Anyone with suggestions for a s10 case to safely bring/use it out in the backcountry? I almost wanted to get the s8 active as it looks like a tank.

  11. #1536
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    20,650
    Having switched from an iPhone to an Android I can say for the most part there's not a huge difference. The glaring exception I've found is Android Auto vs. Apple CarPlay. Android Auto is a steaming pile of excrement.

  12. #1537
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    670
    I made the switch from verizon to xfinity mobile almost a year ago. It does drop calls occasionally. Verizon never did for me previously, and it mainly occurs at home when I'm on wifi so I assume it's a wifi/cellular switching failure. A google search shows it's not uncommon. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinit...s/td-p/3077232

    It's still not enough of a hassle for me to go back to paying verizon prices though. If you stick to cellular when making calls, the service should be nearly the same as verizon (same network). If you must call over wifi, that comcast forum link shows that some have better luck by switching on airplane mode. Adding the mobile plan to your comcast plan also counts toward one of the two or three services in their "double play" or "triple play" promotions too.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

  13. #1538
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    I ended up getting the Pixel 3a. I am a little underwhelmed. Does it do anything cool that my X4 didn't? I haven't had a chance to try call screening yet. The speakers are nice. Watching Netflix seemed nicer than the X4. Yawn. What's it got?

    I find that I am butt texting random people. The one link I found mentioned using a case and a screen protector. I already have that. I discovered Bluetooth was on, even though i didn't turn it on. It's off now. I also found that it appears to be unlocking itself and turning on the screen in my pocket. Bluetooth? I thought I turned off the other smart unlock settings. I'll have to double-check. I am used to my X4 which I could slide in my pocket while on and it would lock and sleep on its own. And it would stay asleep.

    The fingerprint reader on the back is a mixed bag. It means I am no longer mistaking it for a home button. However, I can't see how to configure it as a lock button. It's annoying to have have to change my grip to blip the power button as I am used to quickly turning the screen on and off to check various things. And per above, it doesn't seem to go to sleep and lock if I just slide it in my pocket. It will sleep and lock if I hold it or set it down.

  14. #1539
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    787
    Anyone have any experience with Google Fi? Looking into switching to this, seems enticing but I don't know anyone who uses it. GF and I looking to switch from verizon, we're in southern AZ. I'm sure there's some posts on this but a quick sparknotes would be appreciated.

  15. #1540
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    12,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Google Fi? Looking into switching to this, seems enticing but I don't know anyone who uses it. GF and I looking to switch from verizon, we're in southern AZ. I'm sure there's some posts on this but a quick sparknotes would be appreciated.
    Much discussion in this thread..summary is if the coverage works it's a decent deal.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  16. #1541
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    8,750'
    Posts
    350
    I just got the g7, up from the X4... on Fi. The G7 feels hudge but the screen is lovely. I'm on my 3rd or 4th year of Fi and still smooth sailing. (sorry Danno!)

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  17. #1542
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Google Fi? Looking into switching to this, seems enticing but I don't know anyone who uses it. GF and I looking to switch from verizon, we're in southern AZ. I'm sure there's some posts on this but a quick sparknotes would be appreciated.
    YMMV

  18. #1543
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    I live near the Canadian border and go to Canada a handful or two times a year. Which includes some big cities where I want data. And I just added my daughter, who goes to school in New Brunswick. The coverage in the GTA, Montreal, and New Brunswick has been really good. Coverage in my home area is mediocre. That's gonna be a huge factor: Can you live with the coverage? I can. I also don't use a lot of data. If you have a high usage rate, it might get expensive. T-Mobile is the main coverage here and it has a hard time penetrating large buildings. Fortunately my main grocery store has WiFi, so the list can get updated while shopping. Sometimes I *forget* to sign-in to their WiFi. Oops. I went to Romania for work two years ago and it totally rocked having Fi. I didn't have to buy any local SIMs or be always on the hunt for WiFi. My colleagues weren't as happy. I also visited Germany. I am going to Spain in February with my son. I may add him to the plan for a month. Just don't stream video. Use WiFi for that.

  19. #1544
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    I just got the g7, up from the X4... on Fi. The G7 feels hudge but the screen is lovely. I'm on my 3rd or 4th year of Fi and still smooth sailing. (sorry Danno!)

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    G7 isn't a step down performance wise? I just waterfalled my X4 to my daughter and got the Pixel 3a. I would have kept the X4 had the G6 still been available for $99 from Google. However, she also didn't want a large phone, so the X4 was perfect for her over the G7. She hasn't complained yet, so it must be working.

  20. #1545
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    8,750'
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    G7 isn't a step down performance wise? I just waterfalled my X4 to my daughter and got the Pixel 3a. I would have kept the X4 had the G6 still been available for $99 from Google. However, she also didn't want a large phone, so the X4 was perfect for her over the G7. She hasn't complained yet, so it must be working.
    My G7 is 64GB, the x4 was a 2 year old 32GB and it just lagged, screen was not holding up well but I can use it as a back up or let my daughter dink around with it a little. Affordable and nice phones.

    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

  21. #1546
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Among Greatness All Around
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Much discussion in this thread..summary is if the coverage works it's a decent deal, if you do not need a large amount of cellular data. Very high and unlimited cellular data needs make it less of a great deal. Coverage is T-Mobile and Sprint as well as jumping on wifi when available for saving on cellular data.
    FIFY

  22. #1547
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,104
    ^^^ Agreed. I'm still using Fi, still works great internationally, and T Mobile and Sprint still suck for coverage in the US boonies compared to Verizon.

    Not sure if it's been discussed here but Fi also allows you to have a couple of data-only SIM cards free, on the same 1-line plan. When we went to Japan this past winter, I got extra SIM cards and a friend was able to use it on his phone. We maxed out the data for the month ($60, then no extra charge), but used that data a lot - GPS, streaming music, and you can make voice calls through Facebook messenger (and other apps).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  23. #1548
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    787
    Awesome, will definitely look more into it.

    Due for an upgrade from a galaxy 8. My first smartphone was the G5 which, hands down, was the best smartphone I've ever had. Removable back to swap the battery? Lightweight plastic? Hard to break? Yes! That is until samsung released a software update right as my upgrade came available that made the charging port no longer compatible with a charger. Sneaky bastards! I strongly dislike the G8, and the verizon store rep said many of the subsequent models have been pieces of crap. I'm due for an upgrade, not getting an iphone, reconsidering android, and curious to maybe try a pixel.

  24. #1549
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    Fi also uses US Cellular. They have coverage in some weird places, which came as a pleasant surprise in Maine and neighboring parts of New Brunswick.

  25. #1550
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    11,803
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ Agreed. I'm still using Fi, still works great internationally, and T Mobile and Sprint still suck for coverage in the US boonies compared to Verizon.

    Not sure if it's been discussed here but Fi also allows you to have a couple of data-only SIM cards free, on the same 1-line plan. When we went to Japan this past winter, I got extra SIM cards and a friend was able to use it on his phone. We maxed out the data for the month ($60, then no extra charge), but used that data a lot - GPS, streaming music, and you can make voice calls through Facebook messenger (and other apps).
    Thanks for reminding me about data only for Fi. I just might do that for the boy when I go to Spain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •