Page 74 of 97 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

Just go grab a small pick and clean it out. Ive done it multiple times. Toothpick flossers, like the plastic ones with the flip out pick work great. Just power down the phone while you are digging.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

You can buy anti-dust plugs for cheap on amazon, like 20 of them for $6.00

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Just go grab a small pick and clean it out. Ive done it multiple times. Toothpick flossers, like the plastic ones with the flip out pick work great. Just power down the phone while you are digging.

sent from Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    You can buy anti-dust plugs for cheap on amazon, like 20 of them for $6.00
    So. I've tried both. I lose the plugs when I put them down to charge the phone. I've done the pick thing too many times on various phones. The ports still end up jacked sooner than I would like. This time around I got a case with built in plugs. It was harder to find for my 2020 moto G power then one would expect, considering I wanted it as slim as possible because the phone is a bulky monster naked. Low end phone. The otterbox model for this doesn't even have plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

sent from Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Regarding usb-c android phones. You have to be religious about keeping the port clean and not letting dirt get in there. I finally bought a case for my latest phone that includes port covers.
    Credit cards are less than 0.05mm thicker than the gap between the center contacts and the shell in a USB C connector. I cut up an old card whenever I need to clean up the debris in my phone. If you're really worried you can sand it down to thickness, but I just cut a thin point so plastic is really weak. You usually just have to poke the built up lint and scrape a few times before it comes loose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210905_201541.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	384592

Sorry, I've done all that. And I'm sick of cleaning them out. Plus I have a stack of old phones that won't charge any more because of that stupid port. So I searched high and low and found one of the few cases for my phone that comes withe port covers. I'm glad cleaning the port works for all of you. I really am. Have at it.

I believe you, just been looking at connector data sheets so it was on my mind. I used to use an exacto knife without turning my phone off but decided plastic was a bit less exciting.

Are all your failures USB C?

So it looks like Apple is ending the SE? Will here be a new budget phone?
    Never bought a budget iPhone before, but they didn’t cost $1000 last time I got one. Not sure what I paid for my 6s+. Maybe $600-700. Don’t really want the liability of a $1k phone.

Att cutoff my one plus 6, and they sent me a pink galaxy S9 for free. It sucks compared to the one plus. Slow, poor battery life, half the memory, have the storage. Weak sauce. The one plus was almost 2 years old, but I need a higher end android unit. Without all the Samsung junk.

I got a pixel 5a the day it came out. Happy so far. Basic user, just web and phone stuff. Very good battery life. No complaints.
    Was able to directly move over all my apps and stuff. Took a couple of days to setup all the various settings to my liking.
    Love the fingerprint to unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    So it looks like Apple is ending the SE? Will here be a new budget phone?
    Never bought a budget iPhone before, but they didn’t cost $1000 last time I got one. Not sure what I paid for my 6s+. Maybe $600-700. Don’t really want the liability of a $1k phone.
    still for sale, new, on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    still for sale, new, on the website.
    But to Rideski's point, I think I've heard that they won't be making new models of the SE.

Mag input: anyone have a durable phone case that has a wrist strap that they like? I'm probably going to upgrade to the 13 Pro and want a new case that is not only durable (but not too large) but has a wrist strap to prevent dropping in critical situations (backcountry, climbing, ski mountaineering, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    But to Rideski's point, I think I've heard that they won't be making new models of the SE.

Mag input: anyone have a durable phone case that has a wrist strap that they like? I'm probably going to upgrade to the 13 Pro and want a new case that is not only durable (but not too large) but has a wrist strap to prevent dropping in critical situations (backcountry, climbing, ski mountaineering, etc.).
    Answered my own question. My buddy likes Lander (https://www.lander.com/torrey-case-f...ne-13-pro.html) and it seems Ringke also has a case + strap (https://www.ringkestore.com/products...-pro-case-onyx). Will probably buy the Lander whenever I buy a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I got a pixel 5a the day it came out. Happy so far. Basic user, just web and phone stuff. Very good battery life. No complaints.
    Was able to directly move over all my apps and stuff. Took a couple of days to setup all the various settings to my liking.
    Love the fingerprint to unlock.
    I pre-ordered mine. Best phone value out there hands down. Agree with all of your post.

AND IT HAS A FUCKING EAR PHONE JACK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but my Orage Alaskan jacket has a built-in phone leash: a rubber strap that goes around the phone and is tethered to a strap in a jacket pocket.

Thanks for the input on the SE. To reframe my question, I’d probably like some of the neat attributes of the high end iPhone, but it’s nice not having the liability of a $1k phone. I suppose insurance might cover that, but adds more cost of course.

Wondering if I go the affordable route recovering from the pandemic here, should I rush to get an SE while still available, or wait a couple months until presumably they might release a better budget iPhone.

For context I have two phone lines, and the other I’m running a budget Android. I do like having one of each.

Edit I suppose a viable option would be buying a used i11 or whatever model. It has to work with xfinity which put me in a pinch with my i7, which was locked att.
    Last edited by Rideski; 09-26-2021 at 11:10 AM.

What phone now?

Edit I suppose a viable option would be buying a used i11 or whatever model. It has to work with xfinity which put me in a pinch with my i7, which was locked att.
    Xfinity is offering the iphone 11 for $200 net. Killer deal IMHO. Just bought one for the teenager. Deal differs slightly if you’re existing or new customer - its $500 with $300 back thru either a rebate card or price/payment discount.

Wow I guess I should have started there, thanks for the heads up.

What about a tablet? I like to browse some, 1/2 way watchin the football game on TV. Like all of TGR I'm getting old with bad eyes and want a bigger screen. I have a kindle fire that I won in a raffle i think about 2012, thats dyin. I'm not into gaming and just use it with a WiFi connection. Don't need a lot of bells whistles fancy gadget shit. What does the collective recommend?
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    What about a tablet? I like to browse some, 1/2 way watchin the football game on TV. Like all of TGR I'm getting old with bad eyes and want a bigger screen. I have a kindle fire that I won in a raffle i think about 2012, thats dyin. I'm not into gaming and just use it with a WiFi connection. Don't need a lot of bells whistles fancy gadget shit. What does the collective recommend?
    Just get another Amazon Fire if you want cheap. Or an Android tablet also would offer you plenty without being a costly Apple iPad model. There are some refurb deals out there also, or used if you really want to go bottom price point.

Wow I guess I should have started there, thanks for the heads up.
    New SE to launch Spring '22

https://mashable.com/article/iphone-...edesign-report

Anyone intrigued by the pixel 6?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Me. I've read all of the (mostly intentionally) leaked info, and if they allow the carriers to sell it, and the carriers offer incentives, I'm buying it for sure.

I have a pixel 3, and had some other pixel before that, so yeah. Though I gather the intervening pixels weren't that impressive.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think I read the Pixel phones had an active translation feature in them if you wear the ear buds. So say your in a foreign country, have a cell signal, supposedly the person your conversing with will be heard by the phone and the translation comes through the ear buds. You speak and the translation comes out the speaker to whom your talking to. Has anyone used this with any degree of success?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My wife used my old Pixel 3a for our trip to Canada since it was laying around and I could add it back to my Fi plan without needing a SIM card. The battery life is pretty good if you aren't using it for much. Long time listeners will recall that I gave it up because of battery life. Surfing TRG all day kills it.