Page 84 of 97 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    On my first day with a Pixel 7 Pro. Used an old S10 to trade at TMobile so I'm in it $100. Coming from an S20 FE which I really liked. Size is almost identical between the two.

I'm not totally sold as I didn't realize how used to the Samsung UI I had gotten. Had previously used the Pixel 3a XL and enjoyed it before it died.

Initial dislikes

1. Curved screen and shiny back are stupid. I'm not sure why they would give the Pro a worse finish than the standard pixel. No one likes curved screens, so I'm not sure why any company would use them.
    2. Some weird design choices in UI. Google search can't be moved from the bottom. Far less intuitive than top of screen. Same with the settings menu.

Runs fine, battery is fine. Camera is nice with lots of great options. We'll see if I keep it. Here's a picture sample from this morning.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    The design choices are why I might end up leaving the Google eco-system after being with it for the last six years/three phones. I don't like the curved glass, but more i hate how they reserve the telephoto lens for the 7 Pro. I like small phones. I'm willing to pay the premium, but I don't know if I want to have a large device in my pocket all the time. I'm tempted by Apple and Samsung and their non-giant offerings with three lenses (I care less about the wide angle).

Devil boxes
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm considering picking up one of these -- there are pretty good sales on now. Anyone else using one? Likes/ dislikes?

I have a Moto G Power (2020 version IIRC -- not the most current version), which has been fine so far, but is showing some signs of battery weakening.
    I had the motorola one 5g ace which I liked but it developed a software issue and of course it was a week out of warranty so I bought the moto g stylus. Besides having the stylus it seems like the same phone the battery is awesome, great screen, and fast to. All in all it's a great phone so I would say pick one up. I've had it for about 6 months now and all is good.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I just bought my wife a 6a. It's pretty compelling at $300. I will see how I like it.

I really would like a telephoto lens, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the difference to get a "premium" phone when there is a phone that I'd like as much of not more in most other ways (I like smaller phones) for so much cheaper.

Saw my new Motorola phone for $99 if you sign up with Google Fi. Damn...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Saw my new Motorola phone for $99 if you sign up with Google Fi. Damn...
    I'm with Google Fi and am deciding on my own new phone. Buying through Fi, the pixel 6a is more expensive than the normal Google store, where I bought my wife's. But the Samsung S22 is only $300, which seems like a great deal, and the Pixel 7 Pro is $600, which is 150 lower than the normal Google store.

I like the Pixel UI and have had Nexus/Pixels since I bought my first smart phone, but I might go with the Samsung here. I want a telephoto, but not a giant phone, and the Samsung lets me do that (plus being a dropper post cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm with Google Fi and am deciding on my own new phone. Buying through Fi, the pixel 6a is more expensive than the normal Google store, where I bought my wife's. But the Samsung S22 is only $300, which seems like a great deal, and the Pixel 7 Pro is $600, which is 150 lower than the normal Google store.

I like the Pixel UI and have had Nexus/Pixels since I bought my first smart phone, but I might go with the Samsung here. I want a telephoto, but not a giant phone, and the Samsung lets me do that (plus being a dropper post cheaper).
    The S22 is a great phone. I'm on a Pixel 7 Pro but may still look at the S23 when it comes out as I like the Samsung UI a bit better. The camera on the Pixel Pro is pretty awesome, though.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    The S22 is a great phone. I'm on a Pixel 7 Pro but may still look at the S23 when it comes out as I like the Samsung UI a bit better. The camera on the Pixel Pro is pretty awesome, though.
    The camera is what attracts me to the Pixel 7 Pro. I've really liked my Pixel cameras in general. I really want some sort of telephoto lens, though, as I live in the desert and want some compression of space as the landscapes are pretty vast. The S22 seems the best/only way to get that in a smaller Android phone. I'm not sure if I'd like the size of the Pixel 7 Pro as I keep my phone in my front pocket all the time.

PSA: For Google Fi (ab)users, the Moto G Power 2022 is $29.99 with the usual strings attached.

Those prices are based on an eligible trade in and maximum savings with a working higher end phone to trade. You have an older phone and it maybe only a $50 or so dollar savings for the trade in.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Those prices are based on an eligible trade in and maximum savings with a working higher end phone to trade. You have an older phone and it maybe only a $50 or so dollar savings for the trade in.
    Not via my Google Fi account store. I just need to activate the phone within 30 days of shipping and keep it active on my Fi account for 2 months. There is a separate part of the checkout process that asks if I have a phone to trade in (offering up to $500, while my phone might be worth $5.00)

Not via my Google Fi account store. I just need to activate the phone within 30 days of shipping and keep it active on my Fi account for 2 months. There is a separate part of the checkout process that asks if I have a phone to trade in (offering up to $500, while my phone might be worth $5.00)
    That is the Google Pixel, I looked at and priced the Samsung Galaxy S22 that was mentioned as $300 price point. (That is the one as best as I can see is based on the trade-in of an eligible phone... Prove me wrong and I may consider moving up to the Samsung Galaxy S22, but not for the retail price of $799... Maybe discounts also for eligible new customers porting into Google Fi??)

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    That is the Google Pixel, I looked at and priced the Samsung Galaxy S22 that was mentioned as $300 price point. (That is the one as best as I can see is based on the trade-in of an eligible phone... Prove me wrong and I may consider moving up to the Samsung Galaxy S22, but not for the retail price of $799... Maybe discounts also for eligible new customers porting into Google Fi??)
    The discount/conditions come up the same way for me for the Samsung phones.Name:  Screenshot_20221123-221415.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  25.0 KB

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Here are the conditions. It seems if you port the number first you can get the discount. Name:  Screenshot_20221123-222142.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  73.6 KB

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

This prompted me to look into fi. Those rates are insane!

But then, one of the things in life hit: zero service.

I'm actually OK with that.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Fi coverage areas aren't for everyone.

I've generally been happy with Fi service, but cell phones, like real estate, are super local. Traveling through the mountains, it works well enough for me, but if it didn't work in my home area, no amount of "works well enough" when I travel would get me to buy it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Supposedly the next Gen S23 will have satellite message support. But probably just in US and Canada. I kind of need a global solution. Weighing the pros and cons of an in reach mini2.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This *could* be pertinent. (But not for my needs, really).
    https://www.sciencealert.com/supergp...-within-inches
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Fi coverage areas aren't for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Supposedly the next Gen S23 will have satellite message support. But probably just in US and Canada. I kind of need a global solution. Weighing the pros and cons of an in reach mini2.
    I find Fi service fine, but not great. It's basically TMobile (and something else). It's not as good as when I had Verizon in rural areas, but the Google phones aren't renowned for their reception in any case.

Fi is an ok deal if you don't use much data. If you do, there are cheaper options. It's killer feature for me is landing in another country and my phone just works like it always does. India, Costa Rica, Germany, Russia, doesn't matter. I land, it looks for a network, and I get a message welcoming me a minute later, and after that I can text and use data just like in the US (voice calls are 10 cents a minute when you aren't on wifi, but I consider having an excuse to cut voice calls short a feature). I've considered switching services to something where I'd be paying similar for unlimited data, but I love the travel flexibility.

It's actually one of the reasons I have an in reach mini. I take it when mountain biking or exploring anywhere in the desert. I barely use it, but it's worth it for the peace of mind as I'm in some really empty areas.

I find Fi service fine, but not great. It's basically TMobile (and something else). It's not as good as when I had Verizon in rural areas, but the Google phones aren't renowned for their reception in any case.

It's actually one of the reasons I have an in reach mini. I take it when mountain biking or exploring anywhere in the desert. I barely use it, but it's worth it for the peace of mind as I'm in some really empty areas.
    It used to be T-Mobile and Sprint at first. Now that T-Mobile and Sprint are basically the same company and Sprint is mostly all converted, Google Fi now has T-Mobile as their biggest coverage, and US Cellular for the second carrier. Plus secured wifi like many of the cable companies like Xfinity and Spectrum do also for wifi calling if there is Wifi to join and use.

US Cellular has some weird coverage areas that have worked really well for me in some places that I have traveled repeatedly. And the foreign country thing. I live next to Canada and go there a dozen times a year lately. I don't use a lot of data. It was clutch for sending thing #1 to university in New Brunswick. It was handy on two different European trips. "Welcome to _______".

Looking at some new phones during Black Friday offers -

Does the Google Pixel 7 really produce better pics than the 6a? Reading some reviews online and wondering if there's much real world difference.

We're currently on Total Wireless (now Total by Verizon). Visible (also owned by Verizon) has an offer of $300 in gift card when you port in a number and buy a new phone (many options, including these Pixel phones), and keep service for 3 months. Locked, but they unlock the phone in 2 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Does the Google Pixel 7 really produce better pics than the 6a? Reading some reviews online and wondering if there's much real world difference.

We're currently on Total Wireless (now Total by Verizon). Visible (also owned by Verizon) has an offer of $300 in gift card when you port in a number and buy a new phone (many options, including these Pixel phones), and keep service for 3 months. Locked, but they unlock the phone in 2 months.
    They are different sensors I believe, but I suspect that in most cases the difference would be minimal. I've read a number of articles and they always come off as impressed with the 6a, probably because most of Google's magic is in post-processing.

Google's Pixel 7 ads are stating that the phone camera "Can fix blurry shots, and even fix blurry shots from your old previous phone. So I'd say it has to be something as stated in the photo software and post photo shooting and more in the editing capabilities??
    https://screenrant.com/pixel-7-use-p...en-old-photos/