Page 68 of 97 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

Hard reboot did it. App keep crashing.

This isn't a phone question, more an app question. A few years ago I uploaded all my music to Google play, and then downloaded a bunch to my phone, so I don't have to stream and use data. Google play is going away so I tried transferring my music to YouTube music, but the download feature kinda sucked.

So now I just brute force transferred lots of my music to my phone, and need a good music player. I have a bunch of playlists in iTunes on a computer, so bonus points if the app can easily transfer the playlists, but I can recreate if not.

I have 40-60g of music, so I need a good app that's easy to use. Thoughts?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm curious about that too but wondering how best to play music saved on a micro sd card in the phone or tablet.

That leads to a tablet question. I'm in the process of getting a new (to me) vehicle with an outdated nav system that would be too expensive to update and while Waze or Google Maps is a great solution sometimes these old eyes need a bigger screen than just my phone. I'm thinking of picking up a tablet that would be dedicated to living in the car (except when it's too cold) for mapping and entertainment but I don't want to pay for another phone line for it. Do those mapping programs work on just GPS or do they have to have a line for cellular service? Can I just tether it to my phone and get the same result?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This isn't a phone question, more an app question. A few years ago I uploaded all my music to Google play, and then downloaded a bunch to my phone, so I don't have to stream and use data. Google play is going away so I tried transferring my music to YouTube music, but the download feature kinda sucked.

So now I just brute force transferred lots of my music to my phone, and need a good music player. I have a bunch of playlists in iTunes on a computer, so bonus points if the app can easily transfer the playlists, but I can recreate if not.

I have 40-60g of music, so I need a good app that's easy to use. Thoughts?
    poweramp should work. Ive never personally done, but from forums looks like its possible.

I've just found out how to do it.
    In PowerAmp open the settings from the soft key (bottom left)
    Select Folders & Library
    Playlists Import / Export
    Import Systems Library Playlist

Just ordered Mrs C a replacement phone, and turned out to get a much better deal than expected due to an American Express offer. So, sharing, in case anyone else is interested:

Phone: Moto G Power (8th gen, big battery version) - $123 at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AmEx Membership Rewards offer: 40% off, max discount $50 -- must use at least one Membership Rewards point to redeem. I redeemed $0.01 (so 1 MR point), which triggered the offer, and discounted the phone by $49:
    https://www.amazon.com/b?tag=slicinc...de=20906611011

Mrs C and I use Total Wireless -- Tracfone company, uses Verizon towers -- and this phone is locked to Tracfone for 12 months of service. Not a big deal unless you plan on changing service providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Mrs C's new phone is impressive, so I ordered one too, under a different offer:

Total Wireless has a $100 rebate on any unlocked phone sold through Amazon, where you also buy a TW SIM kit at the same time. The Moto G Power is $180 with that SIM kit. You do have to activate service on TW in order to trigger the rebate, but if you don't want to use TW, Slickdeals thread on this says you can activate a $10 Tracfone plan and it'll work. Then just swap out your SIM for your other service provider.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Power-To...r_1_6?dchild=1
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Or, if you use Fi, get the G Power for $99. Like I did for my daughter. The catch is you have to use it on Fi for 3 more months. She was using my old X⁴ which was steadily getting more useless by the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Or, if you use Fi, get the G Power for $99. Like I did for my daughter. The catch is you have to use it on Fi for 3 more months. She was using my old X⁴ which was steadily getting more useless by the hour.
    Good deal. I used to use Fi, great for international travel. Switched to Total Wireless because Fi coverage was bad for me locally, and Fi data was expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm curious about that too but wondering how best to play music saved on a micro sd card in the phone or tablet.

That leads to a tablet question. I'm in the process of getting a new (to me) vehicle with an outdated nav system that would be too expensive to update and while Waze or Google Maps is a great solution sometimes these old eyes need a bigger screen than just my phone. I'm thinking of picking up a tablet that would be dedicated to living in the car (except when it's too cold) for mapping and entertainment but I don't want to pay for another phone line for it. Do those mapping programs work on just GPS or do they have to have a line for cellular service? Can I just tether it to my phone and get the same result?
    There are maps applications (including Google Maps) that allow at least a limited area of downloading the map for off line viewing. Takes the memory (so in Android usually just stick a MicroSD card in it) to download. https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en

The download from wifi and saving it could be a solution if you know in advance. Tethering to your phone could be an option also- but depends on you cellular plan and sometimes if they allow tethering or how much data you have available....

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Good deal. I used to use Fi, great for international travel. Switched to Total Wireless because Fi coverage was bad for me locally, and Fi data was expensive.
    Ya, Fi gets discussed a lot here. The local coverage is just good enough here that she and I put up with it to benefit from the Canada coverage, especially when she is at University in NB. Or when I bounce off a Canada tower just for being too close to the border. We are low data users, so we use Fi for the net cheap data, no sense paying more for more data that we don't use. It is easy to end up in a spot where Fi doesn't have coverage.

Scratching my head on this one. I recently moved to AT&T with an iphone 11 for work. Moved from Pixel 2XL on Verizon. Texts from my parents (Andoid on Consumer Cellular) still go to my Pixel even after I had them send the text to a phone number rather than the contact in their address book. Maybe the txt app is over-riding that move and using my google account anyway. Obvs the Pixel is not on a cellular signal but is still getting texts from data connection. So I think the question is how to I force their phone to send to the number? Delete the contact altogether? Also have to delete the past messages in txt history?

I just bought a Pixel 4a to replace my Pixel 2. I have Google Fi and could get it for $9 a month if I paid it off over 2 years. I've never financed anything that small in my life, but for $216 total for what is supposed to be a very good phone, I couldn't pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That seems perfect for a work phone.

Related but not the same, I've been thinking about trying this out www.blloc.com

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Scratching my head on this one. I recently moved to AT&T with an iphone 11 for work. Moved from Pixel 2XL on Verizon. Texts from my parents (Andoid on Consumer Cellular) still go to my Pixel even after I had them send the text to a phone number rather than the contact in their address book. Maybe the txt app is over-riding that move and using my google account anyway. Obvs the Pixel is not on a cellular signal but is still getting texts from data connection. So I think the question is how to I force their phone to send to the number? Delete the contact altogether? Also have to delete the past messages in txt history?
    You do not state what the default text app is on the Pixel (Google Android Text App? or Google Voice ever set up on the phone?) Also what telephone number is set up in your parents phones and are they using some 3rd party texting app on their phones?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I just bought a Pixel 4a to replace my Pixel 2. I have Google Fi and could get it for $9 a month if I paid it off over 2 years. I've never financed anything that small in my life, but for $216 total for what is supposed to be a very good phone, I couldn't pass it up.
    How is it? My 3a is underwhelming and after 15 months the battery really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    You do not state what the default text app is on the Pixel (Google Android Text App? or Google Voice ever set up on the phone?) Also what telephone number is set up in your parents phones and are they using some 3rd party texting app on their phones?
    Thanks. Important questions. My Pixel uses default Messages app. Not sure about my parent's phones but safe to assume they use default to their version of Android (guessing a few versions behind the Pixel, remember Consumer Cellular on cheap handsets). Voice is NOT set up on any of the phones.

I'm thinking of having them delete my contact info completely and start from scratch rather than just disconnect my contact entry from a google account by removing my email address.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Thanks. Important questions. My Pixel uses default Messages app. Not sure about my parent's phones but safe to assume they use default to their version of Android (guessing a few versions behind the Pixel, remember Consumer Cellular on cheap handsets). Voice is NOT set up on any of the phones.

I'm thinking of having them delete my contact info completely and start from scratch rather than just disconnect my contact entry from a google account by removing my email address.
    Also is your phone set up to connect to a wifi network automatically? If you are not on a wifi network and there is no Sim in the phone, then probably impossible to receive text messages on the old phone (so if that is the case then the text app on your phone can receive text messages over wifi which many native texting apps do not allow and have to have cellular data)... But just pulling it off the wifi probably will not get the text messages delivered to your new Apple phone... and the issue probably is in fact mostly on your parents phones.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Also is your phone set up to connect to a wifi network automatically? If you are not on a wifi network and there is no Sim in the phone, then probably impossible to receive text messages on the old phone (so if that is the case then the text app on your phone can receive text messages over wifi which many native texting apps do not allow and have to have cellular data)... But just pulling it off the wifi probably will not get the text messages delivered to your new Apple phone... and the issue probably is in fact mostly on your parents phones.
    Yeah. Thought about that. Pixel does in fact receive txts over wifi and can obviously make calls too. If I disconnect wifi the texts go nowhere. Still convinced it's a an issue with their phones forcing the connecting through the google contact rather than number. Gonna try the full contact delete and see if that goes anywhere. Thanks.

How is it? My 3a is underwhelming and after 15 months the battery really sucks.
    Don't know yet. It seems like it has a few spec updates that will make it a bit better than the 3a, but I don't know as I'm still waiting for it. It's likely going to seem amazing to me given that my Pixel 2's battery has been pretty much worthless for the past 6 months, but we'll see how it holds up. At ~$200, I can afford to replace it pretty regularly if the battery capacity drops drastically. Still, if you didn't like the 3a, I suspect that it won't blow you away from what I've read.

I've been without a phone for 10 days now. It's refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm not seeing the 4a for that low price at the Fi store. But the G Power is free right now. And I just spent $99 the other week on one for my daughter. Except that the G Power is bigger, heavier, and clunkier, I am tempted to step down to it from my 3a.

I just pulled trigger on the Pixel 4a 5G. I am a pixel ecosystem proponent. I like getting timely OS updates, and security patches. I also like the no bloat that goes along with "pure" android. Came off an aging Pixel 2, which mightve limped along another year, but was getting quirky and Dec is the last security update and no more OS updates. Since there was no real improvements over the 4A and the pixel 5 aside from the wireless charging and metal body, I didn't think that justified the cost increase. Camera is same in both.

I'm not seeing the 4a for that low price at the Fi store. But the G Power is free right now. And I just spent $99 the other week on one for my daughter. Except that the G Power is bigger, heavier, and clunkier, I am tempted to step down to it from my 3a.
    You had to be on the Fi plan to get it and you had to "subscribe" to it, so pay monthly over two years. They advertised it as $15 per month, but that included $6 which was just for the device protection plan which you could decline, leaving it at $9 a month for 24 months.

Oh an just an FYI, going from Pixel to Pixel was literally the most painless experience switching phones i've had since the smartphones came out. Plug each phone in, click next a few times, and boom, setting all same, icons in same places, downloaded all the apps for me. Simply smooth. Even better than any Apple phone ive swapped for a coworker.