Page 81 of 97 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

I don't have a headphone port on my 3. It's mildly annoying but not that big of a deal.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Pixel 3 still the best. Change my mind. Imma cry when this thing finally dies. You guys were right to suggest this one to me back in the day. Still a happy camper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Did Apple just kill the Garmin Inreach?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Did Apple just kill the Garmin Inreach?
    Sounds much more limited:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/07/ip...ergencies/amp/

Nice bonus to have in case of a true SOS emergency, but not a replacement.

Also, Huawei introduced same feature last week and Samsung will have it in S23 line this year.

What phone now?

paid off my iPhone SE 2020 so I can switch to Verizon

still not really seeing any reason for a newer phone - it cost me $400 total
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I was reading about the iPhone LiDAR. How awesome is it? Can it actually take measurements of a whole room to reference dimensions latter? Could it even make a make a decent schematic of a kitchen with counters and cabinets?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

As a big InReach fan, there is zero chance I would rely on an Apple anything in the backcountry. Fuck that.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    As a big InReach fan, there is zero chance I would rely on an Apple anything in the backcountry. Fuck that.
    That’s not what he’s discussing. New features to measure distances indoors with the phone for the inner architect in us.

But you are 100% correct otherwise.

I was referring to the post above about killing Garmin.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Phones have pretty much killed Garmin navigation. The could replace inreach in a few years.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The satellite sos was a big reason I just bought an iPhone 14 pro max. I have been thinking about getting an in reach for a while, but I don’t need to text the wife her cookies are good.

I've got a Z Fold 3. Waiting until they're completely phased out and then I'm going to warranty it for the 4.

I can't go back to a regular phone now.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I was reading about the iPhone LiDAR. How awesome is it? Can it actually take measurements of a whole room to reference dimensions latter? Could it even make a make a decent schematic of a kitchen with counters and cabinets?
    Short answer is it depends. It collects surprisingly good data surprisingly quickly. You could use it for rough design and dimensioning as long as you work with the understanding that there will likely be some inaccuracies and anomalies in the data. The more time you spend scanning, the better the results. If you wanted to feel better about the output, you could put some control down before you scan which you could then measure in your model to verify.

A colleague has an army of FARO scanners but has been encouraging the use of the iPhone LiDAR for smaller projects where absolute accuracy isn’t the main concern. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty powerful. Only reason I sported for a Pro.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I've got a Z Fold 3. Waiting until they're completely phased out and then I'm going to warranty it for the 4.

I can't go back to a regular phone now.
    Why warranty it Bobby? Cracked screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Why warranty it Bobby? Cracked screen?
    I bought it on black Friday through Amazon for 200 cheaper than normal. Added the Asurion 2 year warranty for 200.

The middle part of the screen is cracking where it folds. I imagine all of the 3s eventually do this. I suspected something would go wrong with the large screen.

I also dropped it and the front screen doesn't work anymore. For 150 they replace the phone. I just want all the 3s to be gone first.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Gotta buy kiddo a phone for his birthday today. Anyone have first hand experience with the Galaxy S22’s?

Any reason not to get one of those?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Gotta buy kiddo a phone for his birthday today. Anyone have first hand experience with the Galaxy S22’s?

It pretty much is Samsung's flagship phone series (S22 Ultra, then S22+ and finally S22). Only reason I can see is you mention kiddo- so how old is the kiddo and how well does he/she take care of their phone? It is expensive right up there with Apple's in pricing unless you have a deal with a carrier or a trade in to make it cheaper than retail. Of course there is always insurance or accidental damage policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I bought it on black Friday through Amazon for 200 cheaper than normal. Added the Asurion 2 year warranty for 200.

The middle part of the screen is cracking where it folds. I imagine all of the 3s eventually do this. I suspected something would go wrong with the large screen.

I also dropped it and the front screen doesn't work anymore. For 150 they replace the phone. I just want all the 3s to be gone first.
    Heh. Gaming the system. Meanwhile you suffer with a partially broken phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    It pretty much is Samsung's flagship phone series (S22 Ultra, then S22+ and finally S22). Only reason I can see is you mention kiddo- so how old is the kiddo and how well does he/she take care of their phone? It is expensive right up there with Apple's in pricing unless you have a deal with a carrier or a trade in to make it cheaper than retail. Of course there is always insurance or accidental damage policies.
    I must be thinking of a cheaper one. I’ll check. He turned 15 today, he’s *fairly* responsible, buuuuuuttt……

We are looking at the S21 FE.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

I have an S22 (the regular one. The higher end models are too damn big unless you carry a murse). Got it last winter when it first came out on some sort of promotion.

It's...ok. It does everything fine, but there's a bunch of little stuff that's quirky, and I find the current Android operating system to be clunkier than the older Android systems.

But yeah, ok pretty much sums up everything about the phone. Ok battery life, ok pictures, somewhat better than ok screen, ok ability to customize things, ok sound, etc. It hasn't let me down, but it also hasn't impressed me. I'm not a "power user" though - I'm mostly farting around on TGR and Reddit and using the phone for actual phone things. I kinda wish I'd gotten an iphone but those don't have the fingerprint unlock, which is something I find incredibly useful.

Speaking of Apple vs Garmin.

Anyone have a basic GPS app to suggest? One that can give me the kind of dashboard you'd get on a handheld: Course/heading, speed, VMG, distance to a waypoint, elevation, etc. Showing points on an offline map is nice too I suppose, but not as important.

I can get some of these via a combo of the compass app and running Strava, but not everything and not all at once.

On Android I had an app called GPS Essentials that was kind of clunky but did everything a handheld garmin did.

You would think OnX Backcountry would offer stuff like this, but it barely provides any more info than Strava.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Pixel 3 still the best. Change my mind. Imma cry when this thing finally dies. You guys were right to suggest this one to me back in the day. Still a happy camper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Traded my Pixel 3 for an iphone 13 mini earlier this year. Was on a pixel 1 before that.

First time in my life that I haven't felt like the new phone was a hands-down upgrade.

Love the size and battery life I'm getting on the mini. iOS vs Android has pros and cons, but for some security software I need to run for work, iOS is just better (had to run some crappy 3rd party email program on android and I started missing emails, calendars not syncing, etc...on iOS it just uses the built-in shit and works)

But the cameras/image processing are a downgrade for sure despite being a few years newer. I've tweaked the settings as much as I can to make the images look how I want, but I can't overcome the shortcomings. If you zoom in on an image, the way the iphone handles fine detail is just awful.

Also do miss the android notification system...but looking forward to adding an apple watch to my wrist and playing with that setup.

^^^^Gaia gps app