Page 56 of 97 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

Yes, everyone is like claiming I'm not making a move to a new phone at all until 5G is available. Verizon has already listed their top ~250 markets that they expect to roll 5G out to first. It of course is the major markets and metro areas with the densest populations first on their list, then the maybe second tier cities of over 100K population again in the biggest markets after the first 50 to 100 largest population bases live next until they reach that ~250 markets. To get the Interstates and then rural areas will be much further down the path. Heck some rural areas still do not even have any 4G coverage (partially due to infrastructure and partially due to the issues of economics off offering even 90 percent of the USA with high speed internet. The 5G micro cells will help, but they still need either fiber or some faster method to transmit the data up through the network to the Internet backbone.

Well, it’s been a year, and I can’t say enough good things about my LG v30+. It does absolutely everything I need out of a phone, and seriously has the best possible audio available today.
    They are going for around $350-500, I would get another one in a heartbeat if I were in the market.
    I hope that helps someone.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm waitin for 6g before I upgrade.

If this was even eight years ago, of course we would have 5G now. This is what happens with monopolization and few choices. Why, now, should they invest billions for already captured consumers? Then they imply, sorry, forgotten America, the discarded, tough luck. We're going for the money people. Free markets, deregulation works?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Yes, everyone is like claiming I'm not making a move to a new phone at all until 5G is available. Verizon has already listed their top ~250 markets that they expect to roll 5G out to first. It of course is the major markets and metro areas with the densest populations first on their list, then the maybe second tier cities of over 100K population again in the biggest markets after the first 50 to 100 largest population bases live next until they reach that ~250 markets. To get the Interstates and then rural areas will be much further down the path. Heck some rural areas still do not even have any 4G coverage (partially due to infrastructure and partially due to the issues of economics off offering even 90 percent of the USA with high speed internet. The 5G micro cells will help, but they still need either fiber or some faster method to transmit the data up through the network to the Internet backbone.
    I live in a rural area with no cellular reception without network extenders.

Internet options are mostly hughsnet, with a few lucky ones with a slow dsl connection. Hopefully, things are changing with the big backbone line that the county installed.

We also have very strong conspiracy theory folks about 5G that are greatly prohibiting connectivity.

Android Pie arrived on my Moto X⁴, Android One/Google Fi version. The Google search widget at the bottom of the screen is fucking annoying. I don't use it as it is and now they stuck it in my way. Fuckers. Everything else about Pie so far is just what I call minor 'workflow interupters'. How about something novel and useful. Like a vibrator mode. Or the ability to make me a sammich. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Android Pie arrived on my Moto X⁴, Android One/Google Fi version. The Google search widget at the bottom of the screen is fucking annoying. I don't use it as it is and now they stuck it in my way. Fuckers. Everything else about Pie so far is just what I call minor 'workflow interupters'. How about something novel and useful. Like a vibrator mode. Or the ability to make me a sammich. Or both.
    Stock launchers suck..Nova ftw

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Pie update blows a whole herd of goats.

I am just curious if any of you World Travelers have tried the the Google assistant translation product. That sure could be helpful if the phone works in Yurpeon cities for me.

Google is the first major tech company to build the Babel fish.

The search company, which is now making a slew of its own hardware products, announced the Google Pixel Buds at a San Francisco event today (Oct. 4). The earbuds connect wirelessly with Google’s latest smartphones, but more importantly, they’re able to access Google Assistant, the company’s virtual personal concierge, which launched exactly a year ago. Through this software, Google claims the earbuds can translate 40 spoken languages nearly in real time—or at least, fast enough to hold a conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Pie update blows a whole herd of goats.
    Please enlighten us? Shit runs awesome on my pixel 2.

riser3 covered it pretty well. Terrible location for the search widget, a bunch of needless and overly cartoony graphics changes, probably more stuff I'll find as I use it more.

I miss my old razor.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I miss my old razor.
    That. I had a nice silver razor handle that belonged to my grandfather. My cokehead roommate or one of his cokehead friends tiefed it. Fuckers. And I was living in Florida at the time. Florida Man, man.

On a related note, I also miss my Motorola RAZR phone. Coolest design. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Stock launchers suck..Nova ftw

So. I tried this route a few phones and versions of Android back. I never liked it. It was clear to me in operation that it was an extra layer, and not seamless. Maybe I didn't configure it well. Maybe I expected too much.

So. I tried this route a few phones and versions of Android back. I never liked it. It was clear to me in operation that it was an extra layer, and not seamless. Maybe I didn't configure it well. Maybe I expected too much.
    I can tell you at minimum you can lose the Google search bar.

Pie update was great for me. The digital well-being is great for news or TGR rabbit holes. I am a huge fan of gesture navigation. I do believe call screening and night sight are only available on phones that have Pie as well.

I can't recommend the Pixel enough, I'll be getting the 4 when my phone stops getting security updates next year.

ETA: if you're bitching about animations, turn on developer settings to speed them up or disable entirely. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Pie update was great for me. The digital well-being is great for news or TGR rabbit holes. I am a huge fan of gesture navigation. I do believe call screening and night sight are only available on phones that have Pie as well.

I can't recommend the Pixel enough, I'll be getting the 4 when my phone stops getting security updates next year.

ETA: if you're bitching about animations, turn on developer settings to speed them up or disable entirely. Takes less than 5 minutes.
    Werd. Love my Pixel. Thinking of a 3 if V blows them out in the days before xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I can tell you at minimum you can lose the Google search bar.

Yup, I know. That's why I tried it in the past. And I can tell you having the launcher wasn't the seemless experience I was looking for. And it used resources. I'll give it another spin and see if I like it better this time around.

As another data point, I've used Nova for years on 3 or 4 different Samsung phones and have found the integration to be pretty seamless. I liked it so much that I even sprang for the pro version when they had a sale a while back.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I, too, am still loving the LG V30. Headphone jack is non negotiable for me, and now the wide angle lens is, too. Nothing on the new phones is even remotely compelling.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    As another data point, I've used Nova for years on 3 or 4 different Samsung phones and have found the integration to be pretty seamless. I liked it so much that I even sprang for the pro version when they had a sale a while back.
    How do I get my Moto Circle widget on Nova Launcher? While the available widget isn't as cool as the original which made a great fidget toy, it really like it. So if I have to choose between no Google bar or the circle widget? Tough choice.

NM. I figured it out. So good so far. Its like I have a whole new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I too have had Nova pro for a while on a number of phones with nothing but great, noticeable differences. All good.

How do I get my Moto Circle widget on Nova Launcher? While the available widget isn't as cool as the original which made a great fidget toy, it really like it. So if I have to choose between no Google bar or the circle widget? Tough choice.
    I loved the Moto circle widget. I'm pretty sure there is a hack to get it on Nova, in fact I know there is any it requires little "hacking". I believe I even had it on a now Moto phone. It should still work with Nova.

I bought a Pixel 3 recently and it is much different than my old LG G3, which I loved. The camera is definitely nice, but it will take some getting used to.