Page 48 of 97 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

Found out over Christmas, my mom still has an iPhone 3.

but I suppose if you don't use any apps, it's probably fine. I have a whopping 15 on mine, but only use 4 regularly.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Loving my S8- Camera is nuts, as is the 4k video.

Pretty good for a cell phone camera:

So Apple as par of the fall out of their we will make you want to buy a new phone by slowing down your existing one just because we have had battery problems too. They cut the retail price of the batteries from $79 to $29 - so battery replacement just became a bit more affordable if your carrying an Apple and experiencing lousy battery life. Still not considered user replaceable but plenty of videos out there for DIY.

The new ios will have battery monitoring tool. I wonder if the tool determines your battery health and therefore eligible discounted replacement. Like a car using a quart of oil per 1000 miles is acceptable.

Yeah I'm in for a battery at $30 or $80, I didn't get the memo they were replaceable at all till someone's post upthread. Fwiw I didn't do the ios 11 update yet cause I heard it ate batteries and knew this was on its last legs.

@danno bullshit on that news rumor or BS on apple?
    Either way still def getting an android for my second phone number just to try the platform.

Bullshit that they did it to help older phones work better. We all know why they did it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Bullshit that they did it to help older phones work better. We all know why they did it.
    Because of course a $1k phone sale is far better than an $80 battery. Fools will still line up in droves to buy them though. X seems like kind of a failure by previous standards.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If it wasn't nefarious they probably would have stood their ground that the batteries were just wearing out and not acted so quickly.

One of the news shows were also talking about Apple's attitude about the issue and transparency on the issue when revealed. They spin it like you should be grateful we did it, then finally when that does not fly and the lawsuits are happening finally change their strategy. Samsung while they went through the whole Note battery issue continued to discuss that they had a problem, were trying to resolve it and even discussed the lab testing continued after the 2nd battery was still an issue. Apple fans are like all Samsung could blow up and catch fire- when their phone basically has the same Li-Ion battery in them. Just like the hover board charging issues...

Good to know. I have to say my iphone3 worked great for a few years till I upgraded to 6, mainly to get access to newer apps. 6 is still working well other than the battery. Based on some various complaints of andoids in here I'd have to say I've done ok with these. Nefarious bullshit is annoying and def checking out an android just cause why not. Lg venture seems solid.

What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Good to know. I have to say my iphone3 worked great for a few years till I upgraded to 6, mainly to get access to newer apps. 6 is still working well other than the battery. Based on some various complaints of andoids in here I'd have to say I've done ok with these. Nefarious bullshit is annoying and def checking out an android just cause why not. Lg venture seems solid.
    Excepting any nefarious activity, which is probably not unfair since it’s laughable to assume that Google/LG/Samsung/etc are working completely above board, iPhone is better IMO. We’ve got iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows. Apple stuff just works better. As a family ecosystem, it just works. My supposedly throttled 6S never slowed down. In the same time my wife had two Galaxies that got the inevitable Android arthritis, one of which just quit working. All our Android devices have slowed over the years, while the iOS devices keep chugging along. Also, 3D Touch.

Otherwise, get a Pixel. Stock Android is the only version worth running.

For Skidog:
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Excepting any nefarious activity, which is probably not unfair since it’s laughable to assume that Google/LG/Samsung/etc are working completely above board, iPhone is better IMO. We’ve got iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows. Apple stuff just works better. As a family ecosystem, it just works. My supposedly throttled 6S never slowed down. In the same time my wife had two Galaxies that got the inevitable Android arthritis, one of which just quit working. All our Android devices have slowed over the years, while the iOS devices keep chugging along. Also, 3D Touch.

Otherwise, get a Pixel. Stock Android is the only version worth running.

For Skidog:
    I jest. Apple is ok just more "locked" into their ecosystem. I'm not a fan of not being able to control my device any way I see fit. Just not.possible with apple. In our house we have a mix of everything. My wife just went back to Android after 2 years on iPhone. She just said the other day how much more she loves Android. She is totally non techie.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

It was the fall update that did aapl in. That’s when the voices got loud. I did the update and my battery life fell over a cliff like lots of others reported. They went too far and got caught.

I currently have this, https://www.target.com/p/lg-174-470-...clsrc=aw.dsare

It is a fan of randomly pretend its charging while not hooked up, only working on speaker, turning on and off, etc. No matter, I never answer phone calls anyway.

I have a tablet at home that I can take out if Ill need to browse the web in a waiting room and a gaming PC. I dont see any reason really for a smart phone (gps maybe but I rather learn the route).

Now if only somebody would make a flip phone that had a hot spot. I miss my old RAZR. That was my favorite of all the phones I've owned. Imagine if that had a hotspot? No, I don't want a flip phone and a hot spot device and my internet devices. Too many pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    I currently have this, https://www.target.com/p/lg-174-470-...clsrc=aw.dsare

It is a fan of randomly pretend its charging while not hooked up, only working on speaker, turning on and off, etc. No matter, I never answer phone calls anyway.

I have a tablet at home that I can take out if Ill need to browse the web in a waiting room and a gaming PC. I dont see any reason really for a smart phone (gps maybe but I rather learn the route).
    I hear ya. However, on the flip side, snork, having GPS on my phone has saved me a few times. And if you travel at all smartphones really make it a lot easier. My trip to Germany and Romania last summer would have been several orders of magnitude more challenging and a lot more work. Of course having Google Fi paid off hugely.

Traveling with GPS definitely helps in certain cases. When I moved to the Seattle area from NC last year I had a galaxy s7 along with my wifes note 5. They helped in the cities, but outside of that we really didnt need them. It is easy enough to remember the highways and exits. Sure its good at finding restaurants or gas stations not right off the highway, but hey my parents didnt have gps when I was a kid, and I remember using mapquest to even find my way around a big city like dallas as a teenager.

When taxe taxes returns came back this year my wife got a new phone and I got new skis. I wouldnt want to spend money I could spend on skis or computer parts (if I want to upgrade something that does internet, games, etc.), on a phone.

If someone gave me a nice smartphone Id take it and say thank you. However it isnt something I care about or even want. I didnt have a smart phone untill like 2 or 3 years ago and my kids recently smashed my galaxy right outside the warranty. Now Im back to a shitty flip phone and I must say it feels nice not being attached to a phone. Half the time I dont even have it on me, especially on weekends. I liked the days of landlines with caller id.

My kid is 8 and has friends who are 11-12 who have their own smartphones, so of course he regularly asks when he can get a phone. I'm tempted to tell he he can have a phone for Christmas and then get him that one. I'm pretty sure it would be a memorable Christmas, maybe not a good Christmas, but certainly memorable

It took some pretty stern and loud parents to get our school this year to ban the use of phones during the school day at the junior high.

My parents told me that if I wanted a phone I would have to pay for the phone and the service. I waited till I was 16 almost 17 before I got my first.

Cell phones still didn't work in my hick town when I was in HS, so that was a bridge my parents never had to cross. A friend of my son's, also 8, is a bit of a biking phenom. His Dad told him he can get a phone when he gets sponsored by Red Bull. Heh.

My kids are 2.5 yo (twins) and 1.5 yo, so who knows what type of technology Ill have to try and fight back (I like technology but dont like unnecessary technological advancements sometimes). If i had a child old enough now I would get then a tablet for home and a flip phone. They dont need internet or games while in school or out hanging with friends, just the ability to text or call. At home they can play games or browse the web. Its not like they need gps at a young age, even when they first start driving.

Fun fact, Ive never even owned a car. I drive my wifes (not legally married) car which is under her name. Ive worked since I was 15 so Ive always had a job, but always spent my money on other stuff.

My parents told me that if I wanted a phone I would have to pay for the phone and the service. I waited till I was 16 almost 17 before I got my first.
    Wow, you're lucky. I had to wait until I was 33 to get my first phone.

My parents told me that if I wanted a car I would have to pay for the car and the service. I waited till I was 16 almost 17 before I got my first.
    FIFY.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague