Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What phone now?

I better sell all my apple stock.
    Lolz.

It'll probably keep going up forever. I don't own Samsung, Google, or Apple, but the market's doing what the market's doing. Lulz, eh?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Somebody just gave me a HTC something or other Windows phone. He took the SIM card...so will need another SIM card. It's a two year old HTC....doesn't even give model. Ridiculously small qwerty keyboard. Do you think it's worth buying a SIM card for it? How much do SIM cards cost?

Can a two year HTC Windows phone play youtube? That's the only thing that would make dealing with that obnoxious keyboard worth it. Otherwise I'd just stick with my $19 flip-phone and use my tablet.

Just looked. Phone is an HTC Innovation....supposedly it's a 'world phone', able to use any regional tower system....so it might be good.

--
    If you want to get a sim for it- first question is does your flip phone have a sim inside it that will fit it (but check what the data options and cost on your existing phone before you stick it in there and rack up a bunch of charges for data that Smartphones require usually)? Sims are usually for GSM phones (except CDMA Verizon phones have a Sim for either the Global Versions of their phones, and for CDMA also the newer 4G LTE phones have a Sim for the 4G data too). It could be locked to a specific carrier and need steps to unlock it to use with another company also. You have to pick a carrier for GSM if it is unlocked- either AT&T or T-Mobile for Sims (some of which will want a contract commitment). You could also try a prepaid option, which would not require signing a contract. StraightTalk offers a bring your own device sim for $15 ($45 per month for their monthly plan also) if you wanted to try it out. Also could be other options in prepaid.

Since it is a Smartphone, there should be browsers (Dolphin and Opera as 2 examples) out there that fully support YouTube video playing. The HTC Innovation is probably not the exact model at all.
    Last edited by RShea; 05-07-2012 at 05:50 AM.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. Before you even consider buying one you have to google "galaxy nexus one way audio". You can thank me later.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. Before you even consider buying one you have to google "galaxy nexus one way audio". You can thank me later.
    That sucks. Glad I didn't get that phone. I can't even understand how devices like that get out the factory door.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Ive owned bb and each droid model. The droid batterries are god awful compared to the the iphone.The touch screens are god awful. Im using my phone constantly for email, web and text. I have had an iphone4s for three months. Its an intuitive, fast operating work horse. The iphone screen is small but the speed and ease of its operating system offset its smaller size. Their touchscreen technology is light years ahead of the piece of shit droids. I was convinced all touchscreen smartphones sucked until i switched over to apple. I suppose if you have giant bratwurst dickbeater hands your gonna be stuck with the gramps keyboard. And fuck if i could tell the difference between 3g and 4g. 3g has always treated me well-it may take 4 seconds longer to send and receive data, oh well. Cell coverage in my area seems to be much important compared to 3g or 4g technology. Buy an iphone and quit mentally masturbating over it. If you dont like it, sell it. The demand for apple anything is thru the roof.
    THIS. For every time my wife had to charge her iPhone, I had to charge my Droid at least twice if not more. I really liked the Android OS when it first came out but it has not been properly supported through its evolution and is really going downhill. Too bad, since it showed such promise. Hopefully they get it back on track to keep Apple on their toes so they don't get lazy either.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    How so ice? Not your dickbeaters, the samsung technology...
    Well I didn't know about the issue Cruiser brought up, but just considered as a machine, the samsung phones have a faster processor, bigger screen, more RAM, better battery life...doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience though, I'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well I didn't know about the issue Cruiser brought up, but just considered as a machine, the samsung phones have a faster processor, bigger screen, more RAM, better battery life...doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience though, I'll give you that.
    It's a fantastic little computer. The screen is awesome. The processor power is fairly absurd considering it's size. I've gotten 20mbps down on speedtest in good coverage areas so web browsing speed is better than my home computer. Pics and vids look great on it. The GPS locks instantly and navigation is clean and fast. If only it worked better as a phone. Then I'd be all about singing it's praises (and FWIW I've never had a one way call issue while using bluetooth). The only other problem with it is that the transfer between 3g and 4g is a little slow and often results in brief moments of no data connectivity. That is an issue for me since I live out in the 'burbs where 4g can be a little spotty.

If VZW resolves the one way audio issue with a firmware fix then I'll be a happy guy. Until then I try to use my bluetooth as much as I can in order to sidestep the issue.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Title pretty much says it.

My Droid 2 has been good but it's getting kind of hinky lately, weird freezes and assorted other occasional weird shit, it's pretty much okay but I have an upgrade available... I'm fine with Android, and I'm not a hacker or any of that shit. I live in google world so Android suits that fine, although my computer is a mac, so I guess I could go either way.

I've been thinking either Droid4 for the keyboard (I've always had the keyboard and dig it) or Samsung Galaxy Nexus for the latest android os, big clear screen and speed. I guess I wouldn't buy an iphone 4s, my next phone will have 4G, so who has an idea of how long until the iphone 5?

Whatcha got or whatcha thinkin'?
    im not going to read the rest of this thread, but you should consider getting an iphone. i had an htc desire, and a samsung galaxy s2, and use google everything.. i've got an iphone 4 now, and yeah not going back. it doesn't feel like cheap plastic, sound quality is better, all the apps look better, run smoother, is more reliable, etc.. there's lots of little tweaks it can't do that an android can that i thought i'd miss, but are ultimately not that important. and there's lots of little problems i would have with the android phones that i don't have with the iphone.

you have a mac, whats the great debate about? the genius of apple products is the more of them you have the better they all work together. itunes wireless syncing and file transfer is great, no more cables, no ftp bullshit.. you can pick up an iphone 4 for $250-300 on craigslist, try it for month, if you don't like it sell it for what you paid. if you miss google navigation download waze. if you miss any android keyboard after using the iphone keyboard get your head checked

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    if you miss any android keyboard after using the iphone keyboard get your head checked
    I laughed. After reading this entire thread, I will be sticking with my old reliable Crackberry until a reliable phone that is easy to type on comes along. 4G and a good camera would be a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Never been an issue on my Gnex, but I have heard of that happening on others. Duds in every pile.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I laughed. After reading this entire thread, I will be sticking with my old reliable Crackberry until a reliable phone that is easy to type on comes along. 4G and a good camera would be a bonus.
    Dude... as long as you have minimal eye - finger coordination, the auto correction does its job pretty dang well, regardless of whether it's apple or android. I'm sure this has probably been done before, but I'd have a hard time believing that a physical keyboard typer could be faster and more accurate than a virtual keyboard typer (I'll probably be corrected for typing that later, fuck it).

As someone who recently switched from Android to iPhone, here's the deal: Android phones are really nice! But compared to the iPhone, they suck. Not for any one reason, but because of the cumulative effect of being a just little bit better/smoother/faster/more intuitive at almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    As someone who recently switched from Android to iPhone, here's the deal: Android phones are really nice! But compared to the iPhone, they suck. Not for any one reason, but because of the cumulative effect of being a just little bit better/smoother/faster/more intuitive at almost everything.
    IMO, that comes at the cost of being less customizable, less integrated with Google services such as Maps/Navigation/Gmail/Calendar/Youtube/etc, less like a mobile computer and more like an iPod, less like a personal computer and more like a proprietary device on a closed ecosystem. The list goes on. Apple shit works (I'm typing on an apple computer right now) and works well. For mobile devices, I chose Android for the MOBILE services. It works better in the cloud. If you haven't tried Ice Cream Sandwhich, you at least owe it to yourself to walk into a Verizon store and play with it before making a final judgement. It's far smoother and responsive than any previous iteration of Android. iOS has looked the same since 2009. Can't say the same for Android. The look and feel has improved dramatically in a short amount of time. The biggest downside of Android for me is all the fragmentation and the fact there are too many handsets on the market. That's why I went with the Galaxy Nexus. Google designed it in hand with Samsung to run ICS the best.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I laughed. After reading this entire thread, I will be sticking with my old reliable Crackberry until a reliable phone that is easy to type on comes alongs.
    Forget it. Look into a jitterbug.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Dude... as long as you have minimal eye - finger coordination, the auto correction does its job pretty dang well
    if you are typing standard boilerplate, sure. If you try to type things like "Dynafit" or anyother number of "uncommon" words the iOS correction shits the bed and can result in useless jibberish. It's not like there's a website for that or something

...if you miss google navigation download waze.
    Hadn't heard of waze, sounds pretty cool. I guess you like it?

http://www.waze.com/

Hadn't heard of waze, sounds pretty cool. I guess you like it?

http://www.waze.com/
    its not as good as google navigation, but its pretty close. sometimes can be a bit picky about addresses if you don't input them just right. i'm telling you just get an iphone, try it out, you'll like it. you like your mac? same thing.

its not as good as google navigation, but its pretty close. sometimes can be a bit picky about addresses if you don't input them just right. i'm telling you just get an iphone, try it out, you'll like it. you like your mac? same thing.
    He's not lying. I hate those condescending apple-geek douchebags, but the iPhone was a huge upgrade the same way moving to an iMac was (for me, anyway, and I'm a customize-able freak).

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    He's not lying. I hate those condescending apple-geek douchebags, but the iPhone was a huge upgrade the same way moving to an iMac was (for me, anyway, and I'm a customize-able freak).
    For every Ying there's a Yang.

Mac user, 5 iphones across 3-generations, and worked at Apple.

Extremely heavy user.. Think 2-3 charges of any phone/day.

Every Iphone has ended thus far in a pile of broken glass and bits. Between dropped calls, poor antennae placement and Apples continual push to make last decades technology hip, there's far better solutions out there for phones and slowly applications.

Android hands down.... ICS changed the game and Apple's UI looks like something out a 60's horror movie.

Keyboard, google innovations, DoubleTwist and Google Play are all as good or better then the iphone.
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

Boy you guys don't make the decision any easier when it comes to which OS is better. My contract expires next week and I don't know which phone to get next either. I've had the iPhone for two years and kinda want something different so was looking at the new HTC and keep hearing good things about the new ice cream sandwich OS. My problem is that all the new phones using that OS are f'n huge. WTF do you do with them if you don't wear old guy slacks with big, flappy, deep pockets?

No room for a phone in your skinny jeans? Put it in your murse I guess.

I don't mean to make this into a thread about rooting, but my G-Nex is running some very slick custom firmware built off of Android 4.0.4. It allows me to customize virtually every aspect of the interface to meet my needs and preferences. It's rock solid stable too. I can't remember a single force close or battery pull in the entire time I've owned it. So it's every bit as solid as the i-os but I can tailor it to fit me instead of being stuck in a setup designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator i-phone user. There's a lot to be said for that.

tablet?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120501.gif 
Views:	126 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	115552

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    My problem is that all the new phones using that OS are f'n huge. WTF do you do with them if you don't wear old guy slacks with big, flappy, deep pockets?
    Those phones make your cock look bigger. It's a noticeable double advantage.

Honestly I don't understand how folks still enjoy using a 3.5 in screen. My wife loves her iPhone, so I suppose I rest my case. The newer iPhones will surely have a bigger screen, but for now android is your only option. Its kind of like skis: I've never regretted going with a fatter ski when comparing with a skinnier one. The bigger screens are easier to read, better for pictures, great for web browsing, etc.
    I think some of the earlier 4.3 in phones were like bricks in the pocket (droid x), but the newer ones have gotten a lot thinner and less noticeable.

well i pulled the trigger on a shiny galaxy nexus to replace my aging nexus one.. probably not the super top tier phone now as when it first came out but it will be a huge step up. plus i hate mods of the system (like sense or touchwiz)

plus, for $400 it's hard to see the worth of a 200 dollar difference in a phone

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    well i pulled the trigger on a shiny galaxy nexus to replace my aging nexus one.. probably not the super top tier phone now as when it first came out but it will be a huge step up. plus i hate mods of the system (like sense or touchwiz)

plus, for $400 it's hard to see the worth of a 200 dollar difference in a phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums
    How you like 'em now?