Page 2 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What phone now?

Droid.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

i'm loving my droid razr maxx
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    i'm loving my droid razr maxx
    It is the newest Motorola offering from Verizon, but no slider keyboard. So if a touch screen keyboard or swype will be OK then I'd add it to the list too.

Timely thread -- I'm looking at replacing my 2-year old HTC Incredible. I'm on Verizon; stopped by the V store yesterday to look at the offerings.

I need to google these up and read reviews, but the current main Android phones seem to be:

- Motorola RAZR (and RAZR Max, which seems to just have a larger battery) - thin, feels a lot sturdier than it looks. Has Motorola's quality improved? The older Motorola stuff I've had hasn't been that great.
    - HTC Rezound - a little older, nice screen, comes with Dr Dre earbuds. Who cares. I don't use my phone for listening to music.
    - Samsung Galaxy Nexus - ?. Just read about the Galaxy III coming to Verizon this fall. Wait for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I haven't had any QC issues with my Moto phone - I think what's going on now is just age and use and older software catching up with it - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Moto phone on that score. Hell I think they're made by Foxconn like most of them are.

Just cracked the screen on my iPhone, got it replaced in 20 min, did not loose data, no transferring shit, and the phone is flawless. Never a freeze, sort of like my macbook pro, but a phone too.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Hm, my daughter just cracked the screen on her iphone last week, all they would do is sell her a refurbished one for pretty cheap.

Given the limitations forced on the iphone and the way apps are going these days I'd never get one--not to mention the keyboard thing, which I really like having (although of the 100+ phones that run Android only a few have keyboards).

I've read really good stuff about the Windows phone, and supposedly it's selling fairly well, but it still seems like you'd be the only guy in the room with one.

Isn't Blackberry going to go the way of Betamax before long?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Given the limitations forced on the iphone and the way apps are going these days I'd never get one--not to mention the keyboard thing, which I really like having (although of the 100+ phones that run Android only a few have keyboards).

I've read really good stuff about the Windows phone, and supposedly it's selling fairly well, but it still seems like you'd be the only guy in the room with one.

Windows and Blackberry are both way behind in Smart Phone sales. Blackberry still has it's followers because of the increased security for email, but way behind along with Windows in applications available and in development. Windows newest phones offered from Nokia Lumia series have a great screen (Steve Woz founder of Apple even commented on the screen quality and picked it over a new Droid).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Woz-u...ndroid_id29594

not to mention the keyboard thing, which I really like having (although of the 100+ phones that run Android only a few have keyboards).

I had read Blackberry was no longer going to try and compete for normal consumer driven business but rather focus on enterprise solutions/security for business customers. I hope Blackberry survives, as I have always liked my phones from them and hated the HTC android an employer made me use because of the suck touch screen keyboard it had. I don't give a shit about all the apps. I just want a solid email sender/receiver with 4G speed. A good camera is an extra bonus as is being able to work on the Euro system for our occasional trips there.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Happy with the razr I just picked up for a net $50 after rebates etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

verizon has the razer maxx but the incredible HD or whatever its called is supposed to be coming out soon. if not look into the HTC one X.
    otherwise the galaxy s3 will probably be out by june.

also consider the galaxy nexus. solid phone there and will get updates immediately since its the google developer phone (at least the GSM version is)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I hope Blackberry survives, as I have always liked my phones from them... I just want a solid email sender/receiver with 4G speed. A good camera is an extra bonus as is being able to work on the Euro system for our occasional trips there.
    Keep dreaming. BB will never have 4G or a camera that aren't a joke. Shit, I have the Bold that proudly announces that it has a 3G connection and it may as well be 90's dial-up. Even when tied to my FIOS home network via wifi it crawls. Worst smartphone ever.

My (very large, very corporate, and very global) company is one of many working with Google and Apple to get corporate security parameters for company-specific email and other software worked out - the only reason to have a BB. Once that's worked out we (and many others) are bailing to Android or iPhone... but most likely Android.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Hm, my daughter just cracked the screen on her iphone last week, all they would do is sell her a refurbished one for pretty cheap.
    They'll replace the screen usually too.. for like $149
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I had a blackberry once. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    They'll replace the screen usually too.. for like $149
    That's what they sold her the refurbed one for, but she had to give them hers too. They switched the apps and music and all to the new phone for her. So it works out pretty much the same I guess.

Ive owned bb and each droid model. The droid batterries are god awful compared to the the iphone.The touch screens are god awful. Im using my phone constantly for email, web and text. I have had an iphone4s for three months. Its an intuitive, fast operating work horse. The iphone screen is small but the speed and ease of its operating system offset its smaller size. Their touchscreen technology is light years ahead of the piece of shit droids. I was convinced all touchscreen smartphones sucked until i switched over to apple. I suppose if you have giant bratwurst dickbeater hands your gonna be stuck with the gramps keyboard. And fuck if i could tell the difference between 3g and 4g. 3g has always treated me well-it may take 4 seconds longer to send and receive data, oh well. Cell coverage in my area seems to be much important compared to 3g or 4g technology. Buy an iphone and quit mentally masturbating over it. If you dont like it, sell it. The demand for apple anything is thru the roof.
    Last edited by stompinlines; 05-06-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    What stompin' said. Smartphones are computers. Apple has relatively timely and common software updates. GFL figuring out who or what that Droid will support.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Ive owned bb and each droid model. The droid batterries are god awful.
    I don't think that makes any sense, as the batteries are different in different phones running Android. My last phone had OK battery life, current Samsung is actually amazing (and far better than the last model iPhone I used)--heavy use (apps, web, phone for hours) and I never have to charge during the day, don't even know how long it would go with light use as I've never discharged it that way. Plus you're 'allowed' to change your own battery which I still don't think Apple lets you do (along with a bunch of other stuff the Apple Nazis don't want their users to do).

Touchscreen is much better than the latest iPhone touchscreen (try typing on the two screens and you'll see the difference), and it seems to load faster (4G is pretty clearly superior to 3G in my experience).

May be a lot of demand for Apple stuff, but with Android at about 50% of the U.S. market (iPhone around 30%) and leading around the world I don't see how that's a reason to buy Apple [edit: just realized you meant for reselling--but I'm certain iceman doesn't want to try to sell a phone he just bought with a two year contract etc.]

The fact that with Android you never have to use the iTunes store (or whatever it is) is reason enough for me on its own, though. Horrible trying to deal with that.
    [quote][//quote]

Hugh Conway Guest
    The fact that with Android you never have to use the iTunes store (or whatever it is) is reason enough for me on its own, though. Horrible trying to deal with that.
    For what? iTunes on the PC is a POS. The iTunes app store on the iPhone/iPad works damn well.... certainly better than the POS known as Google Play ime

Somebody just gave me a HTC something or other Windows phone. He took the SIM card...so will need another SIM card. It's a two year old HTC....doesn't even give model. Ridiculously small qwerty keyboard. Do you think it's worth buying a SIM card for it? How much do SIM cards cost?

Can a two year HTC Windows phone play youtube? That's the only thing that would make dealing with that obnoxious keyboard worth it. Otherwise I'd just stick with my $19 flip-phone and use my tablet.

Just looked. Phone is an HTC Innovation....supposedly it's a 'world phone', able to use any regional tower system....so it might be good.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

There's very little doubt that the newest samsung phones are superior devices to iphones in pretty much every way, except for the software issue that Hugh hit on and the simplicity and popularity issues that stompin brought up.

And maybe I do have big bratwurst fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    For what? iTunes on the PC is a POS. The iTunes app store on the iPhone/iPad works damn well.... certainly better than the POS known as Google Play ime
    Have had to go through iTunes to deal with iPhone and iPad issues (locked screens, etc.) and it was always pain. Really sucks. Never used Google Play, but have never had the same crippling issues with Android that iOS gave me (and I don't know that Google sends you through their Market for those things).
    [quote][//quote]

Dex,
    My iphone 4s battery lasts longer than in each one of my droids. Does that make sense?
    I dont give a fuck about market share. As soon as all the uninformed baby boomers start getting too fucking old and regress into buying the jitterbug and apple continues on their current technology curve theyre gonna probably kill it.
    How so ice? Not your dickbeaters, the samsung technology...

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Dex,
    My iphone 4s battery lasts longer than in each one of my droids. Does that make sense?
    that does, but it's different than saying all droid batteries suck, since there isn't a single droid battery. And like I said, my Samsung has the best phone battery I've ever used.

I dont give a fuck about market share. As soon as all the uninformed baby boomers start getting too fucking old and regress into buying the jitterbug and apple continues on their current technology curve theyre gonna own the market in no time.
    But the trend in apps and phones is toward Android (http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/androi...ple-a-beating/), and that will leave iPhone with a small niche market share--too bad for Apple they can't figure out open source. We're on the back end of the iShit trend.
    [quote][//quote]