Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonora Pass

Sonora Pass at 2pm
    Ebbetts Pass at noon
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

keep an eye on the weather - big thunderstorms yesterday and more in the forecast

Drove through the pass on the way back from Mammoth this afternoon. Lots of snow up high and coverage looked great on the peaks. Some concerning cornices visible from the highway but I don't know the area well enough to name where. Already some ski tracks in places.

Is anyone familiar with the etiquette of parking overnight on the turnout to leavitt lake road (impassable currently)? Considering a trip up there next weekend. Likewise has anyone ever skinned up the road and camped at the lake for a multiday trip? Just moved to the west coast from back east and not used to this whole public land thing.

Thanks!

Whoa, super early opening considering the snow season. Mr. Plow kicked some butt.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Drove through the pass on the way back from Mammoth this afternoon. Lots of snow up high and coverage looked great on the peaks. Some concerning cornices visible from the highway but I don't know the area well enough to name where. Already some ski tracks in places.

Is anyone familiar with the etiquette of parking overnight on the turnout to leavitt lake road (impassable currently)? Considering a trip up there next weekend. Likewise has anyone ever skinned up the road and camped at the lake for a multiday trip? Just moved to the west coast from back east and not used to this whole public land thing.

Thanks!
    I ski camped at Leavitt Lake once a few years ago; parked in the rough parking lot at the turnoff, and the car was still there upon return.

Depends on what you mean about parking at Leavitt turnoff. In a usual spring when 108 is open up to there, you can park on the slope above the dirt road, and I have parked there overnight. I can't imagine why that would be an issue overnight. If you're talking about parking right in front of what would be the dirt road, I could see that being frowned upon, depending on how much that blocks access (but if other people are doing that in the daytime, it's probably fine overnight).

The Creek is fully covered at the hairpin West of the summit.

Y couloir had a cornice even bigger than last year.

Got stuck behind a car doing 20 on 108!!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post

Thanks!
    yeah you can camp there there is a better spot just up the road on the other side of the highway and you can walk down to the LL parking area

some photos from a friend who was up on No Name today...

Name:  dbsp1.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  270.7 KB

Name:  dbsp2.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  dbsp3.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  dbsp4.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  227.8 KB

Name:  dbsp5.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  191.7 KB

Snowpack is as smooooove as I’ve ever seen in june. Solar needs some more time to consolidate but north and west skiing great. Some pics from Sunday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4411.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	284693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4421.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	842.2 KB 
ID:	284694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	997.8 KB 
ID:	284695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4425.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	284696

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So smooth!

Hoping to get up there this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    So smooth!

Hoping to get up there this Saturday.
    looks awesome.....hoping to get out there too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looks like I'll be up there for sure on Saturday. If anyone wants to meet up I'd be down for that. I'm not exactly fast, but I get there eventually. I'll prolly drive up Friday night and boondock wherever so I can get a relatively early start

Looks like I'll be up there for sure on Saturday. If anyone wants to meet up I'd be down for that. I'm not exactly fast, but I get there eventually. I'll prolly drive up Friday night and boondock wherever so I can get a relatively early start
    I am planning the same for Saturday

I should be there Saturday as well, along with a crew of local folks.

suncupsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01745.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	285149
    +debrisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01737.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	285150
    =$$$Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01729.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	285151

Don't recall seeing as many cars as I did at Sonora before, we avoided all the crowds got fresh lines and smooth corn, fantastic day!

yeah I avoided the Sonora Pass gong show and went to Ebbetts Pass and found this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9855.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	285190
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

damn hippies.....

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Don't recall seeing as many cars as I did at Sonora before, we avoided all the crowds got fresh lines and smooth corn, fantastic day!

Where’s that first shot? Deadmans? Or main steep shot to the hairpin? Looked GLORIOUS!

That was actually our last run of the day dropping down below the hairpin in this zone , skied right to our car staged down there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Met up with myles long early Saturday morning. Cold temps and a stiff wind greeted us at the pass. We went up to No Name and our planned West slope was still frozen, so we circumnavigated the peak just south and hung on on the ridge waiting for the snow to soften and watch the hoardes ascend upon Leavitt.

Ultimate goal was the line just up and right of my left shoulder

The conga line

After a nice break and noticing people coming down Leavitt we dropped in to a perfect smooth and corned West facing slope and were soon skinning then booting up our objective.

myles long leading the way

Me lagging behind.

After a tasty snack up top....we dropped in to feast on the corn.

Myles

My turn

Yeah, that was damn good.

We then headed up a gully to the other drainage and decided to continue up the ridge for what turned out to be the best snow of the day. Perfect smoove velvet.

Myles up the ridge

And down

Pretty much sums up the day

Always fun to meet new Mags and have a solid day skiing with them.

Met up with myles long early Saturday morning. Cold temps and a stiff wind greeted us at the pass. We went up to No Name and our planned West slope was still frozen, so we circumnavigated the peak just south and hung on on the ridge waiting for the snow to soften and watch the hoardes ascend upon Leavitt.

Ultimate goal was the line just up and right of my left shoulder

The conga line

After a nice break and noticing people coming down Leavitt we dropped in to a perfect smooth and corned West facing slope and were soon skinning then booting up our objective.

myles long leading the way

Me lagging behind.

After a tasty snack up top....we dropped in to feast on the corn.

Myles

My turn

Yeah, that was damn good.

We then headed up a gully to the other drainage and decided to continue up the ridge for what turned out to be the best snow of the day. Perfect smoove velvet.

Myles up the ridge

And down

Pretty much sums up the day

Always fun to meet new Mags and have a solid day skiing with them.
    Great snow and good fun all around.
    Few more to add...twice as much work dropping the knee!

anyone been up 108 in awhile? what's the condition of leavitt lake rd?

I was up there over the weekend - no snow at the beginning of Leavitt Rd , not sure how far you could drive before running into snow drifts, but I'd be surprised if one could drive to the lake. Took this shot Saturday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01779.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	286356

I hiked up the road yesterday. Firstly the gate is closed so already a no go... About half a mile in there is a tree down but should be quick to clean up with a chainsaw. Snow patches start about a mile in. Completely skin-able 1.75 in. Still snow bridges across the two creeks but won't last long. At certain points before the snow the road is basically a waterfall/creek. The lake is still almost completely frozen over with a couple patches melted. Spent the night and thought I heard some fish jump but could have been things melting off. There is about 3-4 feet at lake level still according to some random probe measurements when I was bored.