Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonora Pass

I’m done for the season. Surgery on my finger Monday. Fuck I hate surgery
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sonora Pass closing Wednesday noon for the storm.

How's your finger?

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Much better except that the steel screw in there gets fkn cold.

From CalTrans District 10 Facebook

79th Annual Clearing Of The Sonora Pass Underway
    Rain, Wind and Weather Greets Caltrans Crews As Annual Rite of Spring Begins

Caltrans crews started the seasonal clearing of the Sonora Pass today- here are some photos that just landed in our inbox.

Area Maintenance Superintendent Chris Baker managed to get up there just minutes before the rotary blower made its first pass. He indicates that was a gloomy dark day up there and the rain was falling, but the crew is off and running.

Operations will be from 6 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday. We ask, for the safety of the crew and the public, that no one enter behind the closure gate until the road is open to Eagle Meadows. We will make every effort to have this accomplished as soon as possible.

Caltrans manages three trans-Sierra passes in the Central Sierra that are closed during winter and generally open in spring: Ebbetts Pass/SR-4 in Alpine County, Sonora Pass/SR-108 (Tuolumne County) and Monitor Pass/SR-89 (Alpine County). Tioga Pass in Yosemite National Park is managed by the Park Service over the summit.

Caltrans’ goal is to have all winter passes open to the public no later than the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. Late season storms, snow accumulation and other factors can sometimes hinder this goal.

The foremost guiding principle in these procedures is to maintain public and worker safety.

Name:  IMG_9500.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  311.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9501.JPG
Views: 1099
Size:  192.0 KB

Interesting read on lake levels and tree stumps. Thanks 1_2_3.

SONORA PASS-SEASONAL CLEARING UPDATE
    Getting Rocky (Literally!) Near Eagle Meadows

Caltrans’ Long Barn crew uncovered these massive boulders that had fallen into the roadway and were buried in snow while clearing the Sonora Pass/State Route 108 near Eagle Meadows Road earlier today.

The crew managed to avoid catastrophe by stopping quickly before the boulders could damage the big blade on the blower being used to clear the route.

The rocks are big enough that they may need a little “High Sierra cure” using a Boulder Buster to break them up into pieces that our equipment can handle so the crews can get them out of the roadway- unfortunately this may slow the effort to open the gate to allow access to Eagle Meadows by the weekend- stay tuned and we’ll post an update as soon as we have it.

Operations will be from 6 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday. We ask, for the safety of the crew and the public, that no one enter behind the closure gate until the road is open to Eagle Meadows. We will make every effort to have this accomplished as soon as possible.

Name:  IMG_9516.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  303.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9517.JPG
Views: 959
Size:  179.4 KB

seems like it should be easy to have some sort of collision avoidance package that can identify large objects in the snow.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    seems like it should be easy to have some sort of collision avoidance package that can identify large objects in the snow.
    The way I hear it, they’re just happy if the new snowblowers are actually working at all.

Wouldn't even have to be on the snowblower. Could be on the cat, snowmobile or fly over.
    "GPR is used on vehicles for close-in high-speed road survey and landmine detection as well as in stand-off mode."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-penetrating_radar

108 on the west side is open to Eagle Meadows Road.

From the book of faces....

Caltrans’ Crews Fighting Deep Snow On Way To Summit

Caltrans’ Camp Connell Maintenance Supervisor Mike Johnson shot some video of the walls of snow leading to the Lake Alpine Lodge his crews have cut through in the fight to clear snow from Ebbetts Pass/State Route 4 (SR-4) for the summer season.

Lake Alpine is in Alpine County, California at an elevation of 7,388 feet. The crew hopes to get to the west side of Lake Alpine before Fishmas, the traditional opening day of trout season the last Saturday in April, even though the lake will likely be frozen over.

The video shows the progress for the first week of snow removal on SR-4 with 10’-14’ drifts (and snow currently falling!). Crews across the range are finding deeper than usual drifts at lower elevations as the annual clearing proceeds.

Operations will be from 6 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday. We ask, for the safety of the crew and the public, that no one enter behind the closure gate until the road is open.

Caltrans manages three trans-Sierra passes in the Central Sierra that are closed during winter and generally open in spring: Ebbetts Pass/SR-4 in Alpine County, Sonora Pass/SR-108 (Tuolumne County) and Monitor Pass/SR-89 (Alpine County).

Caltrans’ goal is to have all winter passes open to the public no later than the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. Late season storms, snow accumulation and other factors can sometimes hinder this goal.

Opening passes in the spring involves more than just removing snow. Prior to opening the roadway for public use, vegetation is trimmed back, culverts are cleaned out, the pavement is repaired, cracks are sealed and the roadway is re-striped.

The foremost guiding principle in these procedures is to maintain public and worker safety.

See the video here: https://youtu.be/L57ph13k46U

108 open to Kennedy Meadows on the west side.

EBBETTS PASS (STATE ROUTE 4) OPEN TO LAKE ALPINE

ALPINE COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) removed the snow, cleared the debris and made the necessary repairs to open State Route 4/Ebbetts Pass to the east end of Lake Alpine on Tuesday, April 23, 2019, at 7:30 a.m.

The diligent work of Caltrans crews enabled the opening this section of the highway in time for the beginning of trout fishing season, which begins on Saturday, April 27, 2019.

Caltrans District 10 manages three trans-Sierra passes in the central Sierra that are closed during winter and generally open in spring: Ebbetts Pass/SR-4 in Alpine County, Sonora Pass/SR-108 (Tuolumne County) and Monitor Pass/SR-89 (Alpine County).

Caltrans’ goal is to have these seasonal routes open to the public by Memorial Day weekend. Late season storms, unexpected road damage and other factors can sometimes hinder this goal.

Caltrans crews responsible for the road opening extend their best wishes for traveling to those who enjoy the recreational opportunities this part of California has to offer.

For the latest in highway information please check http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call our Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Have you heard anything about Monitor Pass?

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Vets View Post
    Have you heard anything about Monitor Pass?
    How much time does Monitor shave off the KW to Mammy route?

Not much but it’s amazing

It close to the same, depends if you need to stop for cheaper gas in gville, if not I prefer Monitor

Monitor opened today.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Monitor opened today.
    Thanks! That is great news.
    Dawn and Dusk patrol skiing with dogs will be happening often now.

Called an audible after turning onto 89 and seeing that Monitor was open. This east facing line was supportive when I skied it at 11 but borderline in places. Love the views west from up there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01577.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	280319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01585.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	280320

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    It close to the same, depends if you need to stop for cheaper gas in gville, if not I prefer Monitor
    problem is even if you don't NEED gas it's a dollar a gallon cheaper than Tahoe or anywhere you're going south of there so I usually try to need gas there.
    Monitor is beautiful though I prefer it in the fall.

CALTRANS CREWS REACH MOSQUITO LAKE ON STATE ROUTE 4/EBBETTS PASS
    Seasonal Clearing of the High Sierra Routes Continues Despite Blanket of New Snow

IF you know Mosquito Lake, you might be able to pick out the rooftops of the summer cabins poking out above the deep drifts surrounding the frozen surface of the lake.

Camp Connell Maintenance Supervisor Mike Johnson shot this video earlier today (Friday, May 17, 2019) of the crew working their way around the upper (westernmost) lake.

Our crews are continuing to work on the seasonal clearing of pass roadways in District 10 even though our passes continue to be impacted by additional snowfall, likely with more to come this weekend.

Caltrans’ goal each year is to have these seasonal routes open to the public by Memorial Day weekend. Given the late storms, it is not clear at this point when we will be able to get these routes open for the season.

A recent poster following closely observed the following:

“To sum it up, starting at the Bear Valley gate on April 8, six weeks later, it’s cleared to Mosquito on the west side, and Ebbetts from the east,” said Greg Bergantz via a recent Facebook post. “That said, clearing the remainder in only one week would mean a spectacularly heroic effort (and set of circumstances...no road damage, etc.). I’m rooting for you, CalTrans!”

Our crews definitely appreciate the encouragement- rest assured they are working as hard as they can to complete the seasonal clearing.

Once the road has been cleared of snow, the focus turns to the repair of the roadway, guardrail, culverts, drains and signs, due to damage from rockfall, trees, snow and ice- all of which will have to be completed prior to reopening the roadway.

Side note: we’ve received many requests for more information about SR-108/Sonora Pass. We will be doing a comprehensive roundup next week in advance of the Memorial Day holiday weekend to let everyone know what to anticipate, so we appreciate your patience!

For the latest in highway information please check http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call our Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).

Sonora is scheduled to open tomorrow