Steamboat area fishing?

hey guys. Looks like I will be in steamboat possibly monday and tues(maybe sunday) and have gotten a thumbs up from the girlfriend to do some fishing. so I was hoping some of you colorado mags might have some suggestions for places to fish. Don't know how runoff is looking down there(raging here in bozeman) but a quick look seemed like the yampa and elk are the places to be down there. Will be staying between downtown and the mountain and might have access to lake at catamount(?) but not sure yet. I'm open to all suggestions and feel free to PM. I'll try and remember the camera a little more this season and post up more stoke from MT. I know its short notice but anything helps! Thanks guys

Geoff

There is a lot of access to the Yampa through town, stop at one of the fly shops and they should be ableto give you a map of public access.

If you are more of a fan of smaller pocket water, like myself, hit up the elk. Head through town and turn right on CO 129. Take it to Clark and turn right on Seedhouse Rd/CO Rd 64. Along CO 129 there are some pull offs and public access places to fish the Elk where it is bigger. Seedhouse becomes or starts as a dirt road and runs along some pretty steep pocket water. Awesome place to fish, and probably my favorite around Steamboat...but that is the kind of water I like the most.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Thanks gretch! Sounds like the elk is more my style. I like fishing that kind of stuff better usually. I would probably say the gallatin is one of my more favorite rivers up here(and soon creeks!) even with all the other options. Hopefully nothing is too blown when I get down there. Thanks again

http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report....ocationid=7282

Yampa looks good right now....hard to find many fishing reports on the Elk...it actually might still have some snow around it and flows might be high...runoff comes earlier to Steamboat due to elevation.

Yampa River - at Steamboat Flow: 1,070 cfs Rating:
    Conditions:
    The rainbow spawn is upon us so having an egg in your rig is a good choice, but on warm days fish will eat small dries. Fishing is GREAT on the Yampa!

http://troutsflyfishing.com/fishing-...ng-conditions/
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Grech, I think seedhouse is still snowy (amazing because I hardly remember it snowing this year). I was talking to a buddy that was cutting trees near pearl lake and said there was still snow as of last week. I have not been there myself, this spring but my guess is it’s just a tad early for that spot.You ever fish that stream that is along the 1101 trail from seedhouse rd up to diamond park? if you like the pocket water, it is quite sick.

Life,I'm in steamboat, after some rain yampa went a little rust color and up to 1600 from 600cfs. It has been coming down steady and now looks like the last few days on going back up. Prior to going off color the fishing was insane. You should hit me up I would be glad to show you around/point you in right direction (not that you could not figure it out there is wade fishing open for miles). There really is some insanely great wade fishing in town. For sure bring your double nymph/indicator set up. Fish it like you are sure it will work and it will. The public water is amazing and the river is shallow enough to wade with confidence at this flow.

Last time I drove past the Elk, bout a week ago, it was still very off color, but I bet it is coming on. If you are looking for a fly shop, straightline at 8th and Lincoln is my favorite and they love talking fishing and giving people the low down.

Have fun if I don’t see you!
    believe me its real.

TheRealPoop, Thanks for the info/offer. looks like we're headed to steamboat tonight from cheyenne. Prob be getting in around 8pm and I'll shoot you a PM when I get back to some internet.