Thread: Fake camp fires

Fake camp fires

With the longest summer upon us, I'd like to hit a few extra 14ers and extended bike trips. Camp sites just aren't the same without a fire, looking into fake alternatives.

Free plug for bc.com; has anyone tried this?
    Seems affordable and all.
    I do already have a propane stove, heater and lantern, I could possibly fashion something out of an old weber kettle, but for $90 this looks like a possible ticket for a more realistic substitute...

You would carry a steel ring and a pile of rocks on a 14er or biking trip? You realize that thing weighs 22lbs without the propane?

BC's recommended use states it all: "car camping, roasting marshmallows in the backyard"

Haha yeah, for the same weight, you could strap another bike on your back. That way, you'd have one for the climbs and one for the descents.

Just wait till dark to start your fire, then nobody will see it.

Wouldn't this still qualify as a fire? I mean it is open flame and all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Bet there'd be a hot market for glasses with flames on the lenses this summer...

Talking about a basecamp entertainment device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Wouldn't this still qualify as a fire? I mean it is open flame and all...
    Tried to call the forest service, they were real bitchy about the whole thing.
    Wouldn't they want an educated visitor base? Guess not.
    From what I was able to decipher after 5 calls to 5 people is that being able to turn the flame off immediately makes a difference.
    ie: a metal grate covering a chimnea type device is not allowed.
    This might be.

I have a whisperlight for real backpacking.

I've wondered about these for river trips on the grand. Generally its too hot to care much for a fire, but occasionally it would be nice. They frown on gathering of wood in the summer, but this could work. Probably looks better than a red headlamp under a 5 gal bucket.

The forest service told me to call the sherrif, the sherrif told me to call the forest service. But i did just get some more details. There are different stages of fire ban. Stage one, you could use your own secured fire, inside a kettle with a grate over the top. If it is stage 2, then not even the propane fire above is legal, nor is a chainsaw because of the spark.
    How you learn if it is stage 1 or 2 I have not yet figured out.
    Here is the park county update line, but it appears to be speaking to home owners?

Ipad with fire movie. Pine incense.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Stage 2 fire ban = resort to furious masturbation. Try not to make any sparks.

Actually sat around this thing the other night, it's pretty sweet. Not like a raging campfire but still pretty nice and throws off some warmth. Might get one myself.

I would rock it with impunity regardless of what kind of fire ban is in place. You can keep the flame low and it'll still heat up the rocks and can turn it off quick for stealth. Plus no blowing embers.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air