Canada mags - anybody use a "ship to the boarder"

just wondering if any Canadian mags have used a ship to the boarder service, PO box etc...

anybody used anything good, or have suggestions. BC.com is offering to charge me $80shipping..or $230 tarriff included...uh no thanks.

Where are you located? I have some friends who've used http://www.montanashipping.com with zero problems.

Stuck in Southern Ontario for another 6mos unfortunately!

I'm also stuck in Southern Ontario for the next 6 months and am curious to know what you were buying that cost $230C to ship. To answer your question - When I lived in Abbotsford BC I used a drop service in Sumas with good results. It is very straight forward and you can find them on line or in the phone book no problem.
    However some things seem to have changed as far as Canadian customs and duty are concerned. I recently ordered a couple of things from the States with minimum extra cost. I got a pair of PX 14 XL bindings from EVO shipped UPS to my door for $137C no duty and no taxes; shipping was like $10. I also got a Sierra Designs Mantra Jacket from REI shipped to my door USPS/Canada Post for $111 ($259 + tax in Canada); shipping was like $13. While skis are duty free, bindings and clothes aren't so it appears Canada Border Services is focussing on security and not customs duties and taxes. Sounds like BC.com is ripping you off unless you are importing liquor or a new Mercedes.
    Last edited by Sparwood Dave; 04-30-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Looking at boots - b/c I like bc.com's return policy.

haven't tried it but a mag suggested these guys http://www.packageexpress.com/. at the same time someone said try a us mag. dude i had dealt with before. shot him some $ for his trouble and saved on duty, tax, and partial shipping because it was free ship to his house

The problem lies with the shipping company. UPS will fuck you.

If you can Canada post / USPS has a $8 brokerage fee (if it is brokered) then tax and duty (or not).

Good luck.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

yeah UPS sucks...but BC.com doesn't seem to offer any other method to ship to canada - bastards

have you called and talked to BC.com?

I've had good luck once you speak to someone ?

I've used the guys at montanashipping.com a bunch of times and recommend them to anyone looking at saving a few bucks on shipping. I was able to take advantage of Evo.com free shipping on a new pair of Billygoats...just had to pay a couple of bucks for them to hold the package and GST when crossing the border.

I'm sure there's a few PO boxes/holding companies at every boarder crossing that you could deal with.

Lotta people in Vancover have services down across the line in pt roberts or blaine which is fairly close but wherever you are don't forget to factor in how much it costs to drive down there because if you spend 50$ on fuel to drive your gasguzzler across the line and all you are doing is saving 30$ on shipping you didnt really save anything

Find the closes UPS store to the border and have the package shipped there.

Found a shipping company "kineK' that I can use. I signed up for it and I think I will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Lotta people in Vancover have services down across the line in pt roberts or blaine which is fairly close but wherever you are don't forget to factor in how much it costs to drive down there because if you spend 50$ on fuel to drive your gasguzzler across the line and all you are doing is saving 30$ on shipping you didnt really save anything
    Hey Birdblaster,

That is what I do. I live in Chilliwack, BC, and work in Abbotsford BC, and the US border is 5 min from my work (Sumas, WA). In Sumas is a small company called "Ship Happens". You just use their US address and your name. They accept the package and hold it for 60 days. They charge $5 per package for this service. Most small borders town have a couple of these operations.

I have bought everything from surfboards to skis to soccer boots. I will often pick it up on my way home from Baker.

As for gas, I fill up every trip to Baker.....figure it saves me $10 a week in gas per tankful....around $300 in gas savings over the ski season.....plus cheap milk, eggs and cheese = reduces the cost of my Baker pass.

Anyway, it is up to you to have the receipt and declare stuff at the border. Typically you are just charged the 12% HST. Once I was charged duty. Still way cheaper than having it sent up to Canada. UPS charges exorbitant fees and always duty.

Still super cheap way to get good gear.

My latest purchase was a pair of Scarpa 3 AT boots for $200 from Sierra Trading post. Got to the border with the receipt and the guy said keep driving.

I used to live 12km from the border in surrey and pre-911 I could roll out of bed into my sweats at 6am, zip across nursing a coffee, fill the minivan/grab a jug of milk and be home in 30 minutes, I doubt you can do that nowadays with the homeland security and all that BS, and when the canuck buck was really high how did the cross border thing work out?

Last time I was thru either the sumas or aldergrove(?) crossing was in 2004 and the US side looked like a ghost town ?

But in any case the point IS when figuring out how much $ you are saving by buying down south take into account everything you spent to get that piece into your hands

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used to live 12km from the border in surrey and pre-911 I could roll out of bed into my sweats at 6am, zip across nursing a coffee, fill the minivan/grab a jug of milk and be home in 30 minutes, I doubt you can do that nowadays with the homeland security and all that BS, and when the canuck buck was really high how did the cross border thing work out?

Last time I was thru either the sumas or aldergrove(?) crossing was in 2004 and the US side looked like a ghost town ?

But in any case the point IS when figuring out how much $ you are saving by buying down south take into account everything you spent to get that piece into your hands
    Hey Xer,

It is not as quick as it used to be. And Sumas is a ghost town.

But if I go just to pick something up, and there is a car line up, I park and walk across. Ship Happens is only 1/2 block down. I have walked down main street Sumas carrying both a surfboard and a guitar case. Not an easy feat.

I agree it is a hassle crossing the border post 9/11.....ie I have crossed 43 times in the last 3 months. And they still check under my hood, look in my canopy, ask me what I do for work, why I am not working, ask why I have 3 pair of skis. I feel like saying "same shit I told you yesterday" but I don't. Don't mess with those border dudes (actually the women guards seem nastier going into the US).

I also do not bring food across when going skiing and just buy a sandwich at Maple Falls on the way to Baker. I spent 1 hour in there while they searched my truck, found an apple, confiscated it and then made me fill out a big checklist.

But all in I still think you can save money.

But we do have lots of friends who do not ski Baker due to the border hassle. But you just have to get the timing right....cross b4 7:00 am no lines. Cross between 7:15 and 8:15 and it sucks.

Not too many snowboarders I'd trust to ship my gear to. Seems like a bad idea.
    focus.

Birdblaster and all Canadians out there.. There is another option.

Read this:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

I did it yesterday and cleared my UPS pacakge myself, it took me 2 minutes in the Canada Border Service Agency office. The Calgary office is very convenient, but for people outside a major city, this will not be feasible since you must clear it in person. You need an invoice, waybill number and ID. My invoice was just the 'ebay' email invoice that I printed off. Staff was excellent and they hate UPS and Fedex as much as we do.

Agency offices http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...xtype49-e.html

UPS can't charge you anything when you present the Casual Goods Accounting Document which is proof of cutoms payment. UPS does not prepay your customs, that happens long after you pay the brokerage fee. If you present the CGAD to them and they withold your package that is illegal and theft. You can actually call the cops.

Brokeage Fees are typically 5X the GST. They are ASSHOLES!!!!

Where at in southern ontario? I live Michigan during the winter if you ever need help

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Found a shipping company "kineK' that I can use. I signed up for it and I think I will give it a try!
    I used Kinek to get some skis, worked out fine. The only problem is you have to pay taxes on them at the border. For a pair of 470$ skis, it was like 60$.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7