Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    It might make some purists cringe but Simply Limeade with tequila makes a great quick n dirty marg.
    I've had many of these. As long as you use a halfway decent tequila, this will beat out a margarita from 90% of the bars on the planet.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Grand marnier, which is brandy based, has a flavor which overwhelms the tequilla and fresh juice. Triple sec type liquers, such as Cointreau, Citronage and good triple sec (look for the 80 proof stuff, such as Luxardo), have the orange flavor, but are a neutral spirit background.
    Lime juice and tequila are pretty powerful, if your GM is overwhelming them, try putting less in.

There are no rules, you can put anything in anything, if it tastes good. I like many unorthodox cocktails as much as the old standards.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Around here Cointreau and GM are the same price, give or take a dollar (~$30.)

Citronge is the shit. As good as Cointreau and $20. All I buy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I've had many of these. As long as you use a halfway decent tequila, this will beat out a margarita from 90% of the bars on the planet.
    Just finished one of those a little while ago.

I have been working my way through the lowest priced 100% agave tequilas at the local liquor store. Latest is Chimayas Reposado. Not that great for sipping but tasty in a Simply Limeade + Cointreau margarita.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

That reminds me. Call me crazy, but I'm all about Hornitos for margaritas. It's the perfect balance of price and performance. Any cheaper and it ruins the drink. Any better and it's just a waste of money. For me a margarita is all about the non-booze ingredients. If you use crappy lime juice and/or a shitty triple-sec, it doesn't matter what level of booze you put in it; it's going to taste like ass. If however you use good stuff for the former, then using top shelf doesn't matter all that much for the latter. Bloody Marys are the same.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    That reminds me. Call me crazy, but I'm all about Hornitos for margaritas. It's the perfect balance of price and performance. Any cheaper and it ruins the drink. Any better and it's just a waste of money. For me a margarita is all about the non-booze ingredients. If you use crappy lime juice and/or a shitty triple-sec, it doesn't matter what level of booze you put in it; it's going to taste like ass. If however you use good stuff for the former, then using top shelf doesn't matter all that much for the latter. Bloody Marys are the same.
    El Jimador (100% agave) = bang for your bucks.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Espolon blanco is the Skyy vodka of tequila.

+1. Also, Milagro silver or Reposado are ~same price. Always go 100% agave or pay the price manana. Don't waste your $ on Anejo for margs; you'll never taste the difference.

Been using Tommy's recipe for 15 years w/slightly less agave syrup as I don't like it too sweet. Its about as clean as you can get.

I'm with Arty on the Hornitos. Love that shit for a marg.

This is the fucking truth.

I like Cazadores for cheaper sipping, but El Jimador is probably the best liquor you can buy for the price range to flavor ratio.

Recently had a drink branded "Mexico City Margarita" that consisted of reposado, lime juice, and confectioners sugar. Pretty tasty. Smaller drink served in an old fashioned with no ice.

Sounds like a mexican tom collins. (and tasty)

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Espolon blanco is the Skyy vodka of tequila.
    shitty, overpriced and trendy?

Add me to the Hornitos chorus. Grand Marniers more expensive last I checked; different effects

I have been having surprisingly good results with the cheapest of the 100% agave tequilas. At the state stores they run $16-$19 a fifth. Sauza and Lunazul were both pretty decent too, with the Lunazul blanco not being bad for sipping either. Got a long way to go still, there's quite a few brands in this price range that offer a 100% agave option.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    shitty, overpriced and trendy?
    $20 for a handle of something not shitty, not trendy is not overpriced.

As for Espolon, it IS the best value tequila out there. Usually around $20 for 750ml, and you can actually sip on the blanco... enjoyably.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    And I've found what works best is a mix of lime juice and meyer lemon juice.
    Tried this - Very good.

And re: Hornitos fans, I get Milagro Silver at my LLS for $22. Great buy.

Well, since this turned into a tequila thread, has anybody seen this stuff?:

http://tastetequila.com/2011/kah-teq...ty-scary-face/

I tried the reposado, which is good, although not as good as Cazadores, and more expensive at 55, but, I was buying the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

I tried the reposado, which is good, although not as good as Cazadores, and more expensive at 55, but, I was buying the bottle.
    Hey! We got one of those as a gift at our Xmas party. Great bottle, and the tequila isn't bad:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 15.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	115306

Cazadores is middle of the road. Very good for the price (around $35 a bottle in these parts), but not the best or even close to it by a long shot.

If I'm going to drop $40+ on a bottle of tequila, it's going to be Herradura.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Cazadores is middle of the road. Very good for the price (around $35 a bottle in these parts), but not the best or even close to it by a long shot.

If I'm going to drop $40+ on a bottle of tequila, it's going to be Herradura.
    I beg to differ. I have yet to taste a reposado as good as Cazadores. Their silver and anejo suck, but the repo is excellent, and, of course, a great value.
    I recently tried the Herradura silver, and it's gone dowhill.

Just finished one of those a little while ago.

I have been working my way through the lowest priced 100% agave tequilas at the local liquor store. Latest is Chimayas Reposado. Not that great for sipping but tasty in a Simply Limeade + Cointreau margarita.
    X2 on the Simply. Pour it strong and squeeze 1 lime to sour it up a bit. Easy.

Cazadores is middle of the road Very good for the price (around $35 a bottle in these parts)
    $35/bottle? I can get it for ~$23 here in SF. Milagro and El Jim ~$17. Maybe your State Gov is sticking it too you (no state controlled liquor in CA.

Now, if we can get the Gov to treat it as 'food' like milk) it would not be not taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

If you are in Denver Kegs Liquors at Colorado and Yale has these bottles on $10/off per bottle. Just bought the blanco and it mixes up extremely well.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    Maybe your State Gov is sticking it too you
    there's been no fucking "maybe" in Washington State. But it changes soon so maybe that shithole will get more civilized.

Cool thing, if it could be said, was the online inventory and pricing of booze including wholesale and tax.

Haven't read this thread but god damn.... 3-2-1 shaken over ice poured into a salted glass served with a jalapanose stuffed olive.

Sent from the skintrack.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.