Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuckass drivers

I used to live in Berkeley and would ride my bike all over... until I stopped (other than the bike streets like Hillegas) because there were just too many close calls. I think I read that Berkeley has the highest per capita bike/pedestrian to car incidents in the whole country or something like that.

Glad you're OK. Your helmet investment really paid off! I bike commuted almost daily in downtown DC for about 8 years. Once I got into the mindset that every single driver personally wanted to run me down, I became a lot less angry at cars. It's just a given that Every Single Driver is clueless and will not see you.

But yeah, I would blow through stop signs or red lights, it was "situation dependent" I told myself. A lot of bikers have a double standard when it comes to traffic laws, so do a lot of drivers!

I stopped bike commuting after I spent 4 hours in a neck brace waiting for xrays. The accident bent the frame of my favorite bike also. But if you bike in traffic long enough, you will get hit, and the car always wins. Now I avoid pavement and traffic as much as possible, 'cuz more and more I like my fun without the threat of death.

adventure journal posted this today
    in their text, they say the police have tracked the car and driver down

hitting TWO cyclists riding single file in an adjacent marked lane?!!? twelve linear feet (size of a small car) of moving target that was ahead of the driver and on the outside (more visible) part of a curved road?

oblivious? maybe at first (even that is arguable from the vid)

but the driver had to correct to get back into his own lane -- there is no credible way that the driver didn't know about the cyclists at the point of correction. "cyclist on my hood? what tree did he drop out of?"

or, maybe if still unaware, even just checking the rearview and sighing about not having hit a parked car to see two people at the scene on the ground with bikes

i hope to hear of appropriate suspension of driving privileges and severe fines . if there were casualties, i'd expect jail time (but i'm naive)

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That sucks and the driver needs to get raped in prison. That is also reason #829 why I avoid riding road bikes.
    So true, my wife loves my new 29er because it keeps me away from traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    or, maybe if still unaware, even just checking the rearview and sighing about not having hit a parked car to see two people at the scene on the ground with bikes
    Not to mention at least one person laying on the horn after shit hit the fan.

Texting is gonna kill a lot of road cyclists. I willing to bet the drifting was due to distraction.

the message, IMVHO of course, sell your road bikes.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

These riders looked perfectly fine to me. Almost guaranteed that the driver wasn't paying attention. Regardless, there's no way the fucktard did not know he just hit cyclist(s) and left.

@reynolds ... Waiting for 2-3 minutes for the light to not change and then you proceeding is hardly what anyone thinks as "running" a light. Anyone running a light is playing Russian roulette and has what's coming.
    @System ... First the riders are in the wrong (way wrong on so many levels according to your skew) ... Then you are blowing up the license plate to catch the driver .... Try not to take this too personally but, FUCK YOU. ..... Hope I don't find myself having to "share" the road with you. You are the one all over the road.

Even if a cyclist was taking up some road space, and a car had to slow, how much effort is it really to press down on the accelerator to get back where you would have been after you pass? ...

"perfectly fine"?

no, that would = NOT being hit

"not seriously injured" maybe, but probably bruised and roadrashed

Holy shit that was crazy! I gotta be honest, I was expecting some Critical Mass asshole holding up traffic and getting bumped by a cabbie. Good to see you guys are ok. Person had to be texting or something.....or intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    What a fucking idiot. The moron could have been using a phone which is reckless and idiotic but attempted murder? An "accident" is where something that wasn't intended happened. Say the person was having a stroke, or a diabetic having an episode. Still murder
    Funny, I was pretty much telling you the same thing in the utah booby trap thread.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    But if you bike in traffic long enough, you will get hit, and the car always wins. Now I avoid pavement and traffic as much as possible, 'cuz more and more I like my fun without the threat of death.
    This is what I tell my road biking friends that have never been hit, I know too many people that have gotten hit and screwed up their legs/back, ect. glad you are alright. I think i'll stick to mtn biking.

"Perfectly fine" as in their road "manners".... they got taken out while on the right side of the white line. How do you defend that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    The driver of the car is a dick and needs to be prosecuted. Fortunately it appears as though the riders weren't seriously injured. That said, this "VERY popular bike route" looks like a death trap to me...narrow with lots of traffic (Is that a bike lane with all the cars parked in it?) and the cyclists don't help themselves by ignoring basic traffic laws.
    The video doesn't want to play right now for whatever reason, but there was barely an effort to stop at that stop sign in the beginning. I don't completely stop at Stop signs unless there's a car coming, because obviously, you'd have to get partly off the bike. I also won't yield to bikers if I'm driving and they have a stop sign. But drivers and cyclists in this down don't really get how it works. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Probably because people just slam on the brakes when they see a bike.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

ok, I got it to play. All I can say is WOW WTF?!
    I hope the license plate can be made out and tracked down.
    No longer stuck.

I'm shocked at the number of people in this thread who seem to be defending the driver. Yes they rolled a stop sign, but that nothing to do with them being hit, it's not like they were taken out because they failed to yield to a car with right of way.

Knowing what to do at stop signs can be tough on a bike, about 50% of the time when I start to slow down at a 4-way intersection the drivers wave me through because they expect me to proceed and find it acceptable. Other times not so much.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Standing up for lycra and road riding here. Living in the suburbs with easy access to east bumfuck roads rocks. Just came back from 3 hours and was passed by a grand total of 10 cars.

Traffic sucks because most humans suck. Vibes to those taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    This is why I have found going with traffic idiotic. You can't see what's coming. Going against the grain and you have time to react.
    FTA: Campbell said the top three type of bicycle-car crashes involve turning movements in an intersection; incidents where a motorist park a car and then opens a door, striking a bicyclist passing by; and when a bicyclist rides on the wrong side of the street.

Sounds like a real winner.
    Isn't crazy how shit like that can happen? That guy's going back to jail for a while, where he belongs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I guess there are some good things about being a Joey GoPro on a road bike ... you have evidence against fuckass drivers.

This one happened today in Berkeley (on Ashby on the way up to Tunnel Rd. - a VERY popular bike route and regular drivers of this road are no strangers to bike traffic) and is going around all the local bike club mailing lists. I don't know what pisses me off more - the fuckass driver, or the folks who were in position to see the entire thing go down and didn't stop to help.

(fast forward to 2:30 if you want to go straight to the assfuck)
    maybe you shouldnt ride on the road

That was very screwed up.

I can't understand anybody blaming the riders in the slightest here. Even if they were out in the lane, as overtaking traffic you have a responsibility to pass only when safe, but they weren't anywhere near the car lane. I have a lot of experience riding in traffic and, watching the video and knowing trouble was coming, it shocked me to see how tame the road was in the place where it happened, compared to some of the other narrow passages.

FWIW people ride on that road because it's a necessary connector to get out of town and into the hills.

system-over, riding the wrong way is an extremely bad idea (besides being illegal) because cars aren't expecting you to come from that direction at bicycle speeds. If a driver is pulling out of a driveway or intersection and looks left for traffic in the road, he usually doesn't check nearly as carefully to his right for a bicycle approaching the wrong way at 10-20 mph. Wrong way virtually guarantees you will have close calls or worse. For similar reasons, people who ride bikes on the sidewalk often get creamed at intersections or driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Standing up for lycra and road riding here. Living in the suburbs with easy access to east bumfuck roads rocks. Just came back from 3 hours and was passed by a grand total of 10 cars.

Traffic sucks because most humans suck. Vibes to those taken down.
    Good to see they caught the son of a bitch. The bikers did absolutely nothing wrong or out of the normal in the video.

I really need to start wearing my helmet every time I ride on the road, you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by DFK827 View Post
    maybe you shouldnt ride on the road
    Is that advice or a threat?
    I can't tell

Either way, it's ignorant
    Bikes are not just "allowed" on the road. They are legal vehicles; they are supposed to be ON the road, not the sidewalk.

They keep doing this thing here, where they build out the curbs into the bike lane. Even though they love to tell you to ride you bike everywhere. (Except the mountains!).
    Anyway, it's fucking stupid, and a bit scary. Like I said, everyone here just slams on their brakes when they see a bike. It's kinda annoying, even as a cyclist. Right of way here is totally fucked. Nobody knows how to use a damn turning circle, people invent stop signs, and stupid shit like that.
    No longer stuck.