Page 369 of 401 FirstFirst ... 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,225 of 10024
    Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post

Am I nuts for considering golfing in San Antonio in a couple weeks? Is it absolutely brutal heat and humidity?
    If you can get a 6AM tee time, it’s not too bad.

I wouldn’t walk.

12:40 tee time at the Bald Head Island Club tomorrow. Many balls will be lost. I will post some pics tomorrow. Maybe even one of the scorecard.
    swing your fucking sword.

Working for amateur ladies this and next weekend at Westchester CC.
    Excited to watch ladies throwing 250 plus tee shots!

^^^Nice place to hang out. Played one of the courses and got to see a Barclay's there. Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Working for amateur ladies this and next weekend at Westchester CC.
    Kool.

Old Fart golf and Dinner League tonight. So I can hit a cut knock down with my 5I from 145, slide it 5 yds right and around a tree to 20' from the pin. From 200 I can hook my 5I off a down hill lie from the next fairway through the trees to 40yds short of the green. But I can not get a GIR from 125, 110 or 74 with my wedges. Flat stick worked. Shot a 42 and made mediocre look easy.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

at what point can one make the transition to blades? i need to sell my M4 irons to fund the purchase of my own woods but that would necessitate a transition to my grandfather's old Ben Hogan Radials. i typically shoot in the 90s and my ball striking has improved drastically over the last month or so. would i be screwing myself with the loss of forgiveness or will i get used to them as i play?

They are going to be substantially harder to hit. Probably absurdly so compared to the M4s. Have you looked at places like https://www.2ndswing.com/ and Callaway pre-owned for reputable used clubs? You can probably get a couple-year-old driver, 3 wood, and a hybrid for a screaming deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    They are going to be substantially harder to hit. Probably absurdly so compared to the M4s. Have you looked at places like https://www.2ndswing.com/ and Callaway pre-owned for reputable used clubs? You can probably get a couple-year-old driver, 3 wood, and a hybrid for a screaming deal.
    Also, thrift stores, Play it again sports, craigslist, etc. If you're in an area with a good population of courses/private courses/$$$$$$$, there should be lots of options cheap.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Ask yourself. "Could I be a good skier in low cut leather boots on wood skis?"

Why sell the M4's now? Wait until you start scoring around 80.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Ask yourself. "Could I be a good skier in low cut leather boots on wood skis?"

Why sell the M4's now? Wait until you start scoring around 80.
    this^ some pros don't use all blades

go test drive some first

8:10-8:25 is fucking brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Have you looked at places like https://www.2ndswing.com/ and Callaway pre-owned for reputable used clubs? You can probably get a couple-year-old driver, 3 wood, and a hybrid for a screaming deal.
    yeah, i would only buy used. i think i may just drop the $275 for an M2 driver and some random 2 iron instead of fairway woods. i just got off the course and my nothing about my round said "ready for blades".

I'm about to pull my 3 wood out of my bag, and I don't have any hybrid/rescue clubs. Maybe I should try them, but I find that if my driver, 3 iron, and 5 iron are on, I've got between 190 and 260 covered pretty good, as someone who plays a lot of muni's thats about all I need +some course management to keep having fun.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I'm about to pull my 3 wood out of my bag, and I don't have any hybrid/rescue clubs. Maybe I should try them, but I find that if my driver, 3 iron, and 5 iron are on, I've got between 190 and 260 covered pretty good, as someone who plays a lot of muni's thats about all I need +some course management to keep having fun.
    i have been experimenting with my dad's 3 and 4 hybrids the last few weeks and i fucking hate them. i get low ball flight and no distance advantage compared to my long irons.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i have been experimenting with my dad's 3 and 4 hybrids the last few weeks and i fucking hate them. i get low ball flight and no distance advantage compared to my long irons.
    try more of an iron swing, more of a downward strike

if you use a fairway wood swing, they will have a low ball flight

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Yeah, play what works. IME, if I’m not committed to a club I hit it crummy anyway.

yeah, i would only buy used. i think i may just drop the $275 for an M2 driver and some random 2 iron instead of fairway woods. i just got off the course and my nothing about my round said "ready for blades".

Today's 2i is a 1i from the old days. Even Tiger hit 5w instead of 2i at times. If you do get a 2i I suggest getting a "utility" iron which is much more forgiving than a 2i from a set of blades. No game improvement sets have 2i anymore.

I carried a 1i and a 2i since I couldn't hit a driver or fairway wood because of poor technique (steep, over the top.) What that did was allow me to fool myself into not working on my swing and in the process made my swing harder to fix in the end.

I just built a new set. I decided to not buy a 3 wood and went with a 5 wood instead. Hopefully it will be easier to get in the air off the fairway and fits the gaps better in my home course.

I really like my hybrids. In my new set I didn’t even order a 5 iron. Went with a hybrid replacement. Almost dumped my 6 iron as well but decided I better keep it in the bag. Did get a 28 degree hybrid as well. Currently have a 25 degree in the bag but have a couple long par 3s over water on my home course that I like to hit a hybrid on. If I hit the 25 degree full swing I have to hit from 10 feet behind the back tees to keep from over shooting the green. I do hit them like an iron.

But I’m an old hack. Went with graphite shafts for the first time as well. They shipped today and arrive on Thursday. can’t wait to try them out this weekend.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Today's 2i is a 1i from the old days. Even Tiger hit 5w instead of 2i at times. If you do get a 2i I suggest getting a "utility" iron which is much more forgiving than a 2i from a set of blades. No game improvement sets have 2i anymore.

I carried a 1i and a 2i since I couldn't hit a driver or fairway wood because of poor technique (steep, over the top.) What that did was allow me to fool myself into not working on my swing and in the process made my swing harder to fix in the end.
    yeah, a utility iron is what i meant. looks like a decent used cleveland model can be had for about $100.

and how was it that you were able to hit a 1 and 2i but not a wood?

1. I have a brand new set of irons, they don't even make a 3 iron in this model and I left the 4 on the rack.

2. I had my 3 wood out of the bag for a few months but took a lesson a few weeks ago and now am usually hitting absolute lasers off the deck from 220-240 with it. The only thing that changed is grip, set up, and alignment.

3. I have a 21 degree hybrid that is, by far, my most reliable club in the bag. It kills from 185-205.

4. I have absolutely no club for distances between 205 and 220 and I hate it.

Moral of the story: this game is fucking stupid. But lessons help. And so do clubs that have the right shaft for your swing speed. But mostly this game is just stupid.

If I need to take 10ish off my 21deg 200yd Hippo 7wd I hit a high fade. I put my 24deg Taylor Made Pittsburg Persimmon Tour Cleek in the bag after a few decades in the attic for when I pull my tee shot on the 1st hole. Leaves me with 150-220yds and a 100 foot tall tree line to go over. Got back to my fairway with 20 yds to go last week. Just nicked the tree tops.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

yeah, a utility iron is what i meant. looks like a decent used cleveland model can be had for about $100.

and how was it that you were able to hit a 1 and 2i but not a wood?
    Irons are more tolerant of a steep swing since they have more loft, while driver, fwy wds, and hybrids the ball should be swept off the grass or tee. There really is 2 different swings. (Mats, not real grass, are very forgiving to swing flaws so hitting off them can be deceiving.)

A steep swing plane actually reduces the effective loft of a club so you can turn a 10 degree driver into 4 or 5 degree of actual loft at impact. Look at launch monitor stats of the best women drivers - they all add loft on driver - some up to 8 degrees. Launch angle is critical to distance along w ball speed, and spin rates.

If you hit slices, pushes, and have a low ball flight chances are you're over the top (OTT), a steep swing, which delofts the club. If your divots (right handed) look like this ` (heading NNW) you're OTT.

My buddy( low handicap) has legit 300yd swing speed at sea level. He uses Miura blades and hits towering, majestic shots. His pro talked him into a 2i and he hated it, but loves his 5wd and hybrid. There is a reason many pros and elite golfers use hybrids and fwy woods instead of long irons.

I measured my good drives at 250y total. Those drives still feel a little out of control so tempo needs work. I can now play a reliable cut driver with 225 yards carry. Switching to cut has temporarily screwed my iron play but a lesson and some range time will fix that. I’m sidelined with sore wrist for now. Also, putting my 6 hybrid back in the bag.

Shot 78 at San Ramon with no birdies and a double. Putted poorly too.

^^^^ swing easy, it goes far.......