Page 41 of 402 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 10029
    spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    , if you meant quit replying to skiballs - then fine, I agree.
    not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i can sink a 20 foot putt. i doubt i could make the shot you made if i intended to.
    That's because you never played "Knock Down!!" like I did as a kid. Two golfers stand 50 yds apart and fire 5 irons at each other. Lots of games to play with a club and ball that are not recognized the The Royal And Ancient. ( www.randa.org )
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    That's because you never played "Knock Down!!" like I did as a kid. Two golfers stand 50 yds apart and fire 5 irons at each other. Lots of games to play with a club and ball that are not recognized the The Royal And Ancient. ( www.randa.org )
    hahahahahaha!!!! The 'Guts Frisbee' of golf!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

spook Guest
    brutal day today. went to warm up and play 18, but could not hit shit at the driving range. completely ugly. hit 30 balls horribly, went and go another bucket, hit those slightly better but still poorly. and this after having probably the best ball striking day of my life on saturday. thought i'd figured out some basics, but today was just ugly. plus haven't slept for shit for 3 nights and my back is killing me and nothing i can do about it.

anyway, played a brutal front 9, decided to call it quits and go do some pitching practice from 20 and 30 yards to try to get some kind of rhythm back, which helped a little. then went back to the driving range to see if i could figure out what i was doing wrong, but by that time i was wiped out. i did hit a few nice shots, but still mostly ugly. they moved the line back on the driving range so we were hitting off grass on a slight upslope, so i don't know if i wasn't compensating for that or if it was the lack of sleep or what, but everything felt off.

oh well, tomorrow's another day and i have another lesson, so hopefully i'll work it out with a second set of eyes.

brutal day today. went to warm up and play 18, but could not hit shit at the driving range. completely ugly. hit 30 balls horribly, went and go another bucket, hit those slightly better but still poorly. and this after having probably the best ball striking day of my life on saturday. thought i'd figured out some basics, but today was just ugly. plus haven't slept for shit for 3 nights and my back is killing me and nothing i can do about it.

anyway, played a brutal front 9, decided to call it quits and go do some pitching practice from 20 and 30 yards to try to get some kind of rhythm back, which helped a little. then went back to the driving range to see if i could figure out what i was doing wrong, but by that time i was wiped out. i did hit a few nice shots, but still mostly ugly. they moved the line back on the driving range so we were hitting off grass on a slight upslope, so i don't know if i wasn't compensating for that or if it was the lack of sleep or what, but everything felt off.

oh well, tomorrow's another day and i have another lesson, so hopefully i'll work it out with a second set of eyes.
    You need a better warm up routine.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You need a better warm up routine.
    i start stretching for 10 minutes, then hitting 56* wedge easy high shots, maybe 5-10 balls, ordinarily i would move or start with 9 iron, but since i'm trying to revamp my swing and i've been focusing on the 6 iron, so for now i've been going from the wedge to my 6 iron. if i'm only warming up with 30 balls, i'll hit maybe 10 with the 6 iron, then move to the hybrid on a tee (i use it on a couple holes that are too short or narrow for the driver), 2-3 balls, hybrid off the ground 2-3 balls, driver 2-3 balls, and if i have any left i take a few more short strokes with the 56*.

if i'm just practicing at the range, i start the same way but hit more balls with each club. before i was trying to rework my swing (or rather, actually learn a proper swing), i would pretty much hit with each club, starting short and going long and finishing short again.
    Last edited by spook; 06-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Played 27 today....I'm back to sucking at golf.

About to resuck at it next week in TX after 2 years of summer injuries.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

We used to do this with sand wedges, in the dark, in the fairway behind my buddy's house. We would hit it, and you could tell if you were tracking at impact...the "fore"s were replaced with, "oh shit, that is on you". Only a few impacts ever...but, a lot of time spent with cases of coors light and the sand wedge.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

spook Guest
    i think the closest we ever got to something like that was soaking our snowballs in water and freezing them before snowball fights.

I've learned there's nothing that I can do in 30 minutes that will help. Only postponing the inevitable. Walk straight to the 1st tee and say a short prayer that I don't fade the ball to oblivion. I try to remember a Ben Hogan quote I once read - "You could probably swing harder if you really tried."

Since you were using featherys , how bad could it be .

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Since you were using featherys , how bad could it be .

now that is funny!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Birdie putt on #1 at white bear yacht club in MN. Shot a 79Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1340855838.262124.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	117720

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    I've learned there's nothing that I can do in 30 minutes that will help. Only postponing the inevitable. Walk straight to the 1st tee and say a short prayer that I don't fade the ball to oblivion. I try to remember a Ben Hogan quote I once read - "You could probably swing harder if you really tried."
    i agree, but i wasn't sure if i was gong to play or not because i felt so crappy. i kept trying to tell mysel that if i just focus on the fundamentals i was working on, i could salvage something before heading out. but all that really happened was more frustration. and of course, i only started swinging harder, which is opposite of what i've been working on. it got worse from there.

I played Thunderhawk north of Chicago in Lake County yesterday afternoon for the first time. Great, great track, one of the best I've played in the state. Tough & really, really punitive if you're missing fairways--I lost three balls on the first two holes (and I wasn't missing by much... fucking cart paths & wetlands). Managed to find my game again on the last couple of holes, finishing with an awesome (for me) scrambling par save on the last. Anyhew,$47 twilight rates a fantastic deal for anyone in Chicago or Milwaukee area looking to play some golf. Went off at 3.02 and we didn't bump into another foursome the entire afternoon.

Left my phone in the car (where phones are supposed to stay during a round), but here's a pic a grabbed from the web for a little perspective.

i agree, but i wasn't sure if i was gong to play or not because i felt so crappy. i kept trying to tell mysel that if i just focus on the fundamentals i was working on, i could salvage something before heading out. but all that really happened was more frustration. and of course, i only started swinging harder, which is opposite of what i've been working on. it got worse from there.
    I play better when I feel like shit. I think it is because I make fewer superfluous movements. I remember Faldo mentioning something similar as it pertains to nerves, i.e. he plays better under pressure because his body tenses and he doesn't shift around as much, staying compact and repeatable.

Heading back out for an evening nine at Buffalo Run in a few hours. I really need to get out there earlier for a full jog; that place really is fun.

Skiballs, fill me in on what you have the R7 set up for screw-wise. I need to set it up for a right-to-left ball flight if it already isn't. My buddy seems to think it's set up for a neutral flight atm. Still too inconsistent to help my game but I got some work in with it Monday morning and am improving enough where I should be able to start pulling it out in rounds in a couple weeks.
    The best things in life aren't things.

I don't remember how it's set-up .
    More weight in the heel promotes a draw .

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    I played Thunderhawk north of Chicago in Lake County yesterday afternoon for the first time. Great, great track, one of the best I've played in the state. Tough & really, really punitive if you're missing fairways--I lost three balls on the first two holes (and I wasn't missing by much... fucking cart paths & wetlands). Managed to find my game again on the last couple of holes, finishing with an awesome (for me) scrambling par save on the last. Anyhew,$47 twilight rates a fantastic deal for anyone in Chicago or Milwaukee area looking to play some golf. Went off at 3.02 and we didn't bump into another foursome the entire afternoon.
    ]
    I played there once in about an 8 club wind. Shot over 100 probably and I was about a 8 or 9 handicap at the time. Meanwhile, another legendary "for sale" craigslist ad, this time golf clubs...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/spo/3102325889.html

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post

purty....

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I play better when I feel like shit. I think it is because I make fewer superfluous movements. I remember Faldo mentioning something similar as it pertains to nerves, i.e. he plays better under pressure because his body tenses and he doesn't shift around as much, staying compact and repeatable.

i have played better when i feel like shit in sports i'm competent in because i get more zeroed in, but i'm still trying to figure out my swing so it doesn't seem to work in this case. i still try to get zeroed in, but i'm only doing it with parts of things because i don't know better and it's more disastrous.

spook Guest
    does anybody have a distaste for balls that are stamped or printed with things other than the brand? i don't know any better. but when i have a ball in my bag that is stamped with a college team name or a sponsor or a tournament i instinctively don't like that ball. just wondering if they've been compromised somehow by the process.

does anybody have a distaste for balls that are stamped or printed with things other than the brand? ...
    I kind of like it when I find a weird one, like the Pro Vx I found that was stamped with "Hooters" and the hooters logo - made me laugh until I lost it in a pond at lakeridge!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

does anybody have a distaste for balls that are stamped or printed with things other than the brand? i don't know any better. but when i have a ball in my bag that is stamped with a college team name or a sponsor or a tournament i instinctively don't like that ball. just wondering if they've been compromised somehow by the process.
    Jesus, you are fucking head case. On the other hand, I can only hit off of white tees, and you can't even see them. I can accept unfinished wood tees. If they are gloss finished wood tees, it's in the lumber yard.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."