Page 371 of 402 FirstFirst ... 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,275 of 10027
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I don't think long irons ever worked well.

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron." - Lee Trevino
    i can't hit a regular long iron for shit, but i demo'd the Titleist U200 3 iron the other day and was consistently hitting it pure and getting 240+ carry. when i have the money to finish my bag off, i'm getting 2 and 4 utility irons in lieu of woods.
    swing your fucking sword.

Apples to oranges. The "Long irons" today are not the long irons of my day. They are juiced up hollow metal golf ball launchers. FWIW, you hit that #3 Titleist and 2 piece ball 40 yards farther that Jack Nicklaus could hit his #3 with balata ball in his prime.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dus...lly-really-far
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i can't hit a regular long iron for shit, but i demo'd the Titleist U200 3 iron the other day and was consistently hitting it pure and getting 240+ carry. when i have the money to finish my bag off, i'm getting 2 and 4 utility irons in lieu of woods.
    You are telling us your carry distance is 40 yards further than the average PGA tour player?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You are telling us your carry distance is 40 yards further than the average PGA tour player?
    I’m saying my carry distance with a utility 3-iron is 240. Those guys are using bladed 3-irons for the most part. I’m also swinging as hard as I can. They are not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    So stoked, but now have completely unrealistic expectations.
    Ha, the mind fuck begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Before this weekend my best on any single 9 was 40 and my best total was 85.

Hit an 84 on Saturday night then came out and hit a 45 on the front followed by a 34 (!!!) on the back, for a total of 79 of Sunday. The back was crazy, three birdies and no bogies until 18. 12 putts.

So stoked, but now have completely unrealistic expectations.
    low putts means you have a good short game. Manage your misses and avoid doubles at all cost and you’ll settle in to that score easily.

My last round was one birdie (on 18!), six bogeys, and a double for 79. Putting was a mess as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    46/45 with 6 pars yesterday.
    Entering the new territory!

next stop single digits!!!

5th time breaking 80 79 (+8) 1 dub, 1 bird, 1 3 putt par on a par 4(damnit) 3 total, 28 putts! 1 river wtf ball. Plucked it and played all 18. Short game was good enough. Tee game was pretty good too. Best shot of the day was after a rather poor tee shot on 14. 250 to back pin. I was under the trees right with the ball above my feet and a pond in front of me and 6 huge pine trees guarding the green from the side angle. Absolutely blasted my 5 wood under the branches and over the pines to the front fringe (235 ish) and made par. I couldn't really lay up over the pond since I was under the trees to much.

low putts means you have a good short game. Manage your misses and avoid doubles at all cost and you’ll settle in to that score easily.
    That is indeed the plan. My goal this year was to break 80 and on the 79 round I tripled 2 (hard ass hole, but still) with 4 putts, and just assumed I was well on my way to 90. But I somehow turned it around and didn't even realize what was happening until I chipped in for a birdie on 12 and then somehow eked out a par on the hardest par 4 on the course into about a 20mph wind, where I hit a laser-like 3-wood onto the fringe from like 225. Another par followed by 2 consecutive birdies had me 3 under on the back with 2 to go, something I've never even really imagined.

Going out to shoot 90 this afternoon.

Holy bogeys (double) Batman....anyone else cringe at Harris English melting down?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Holy bogeys (double) Batman....anyone else cringe at Harris English melting down?
    that was a tough watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Apples to oranges. The "Long irons" today are not the long irons of my day. They are juiced up hollow metal golf ball launchers. FWIW, you hit that #3 Titleist and 2 piece ball 40 yards farther that Jack Nicklaus could hit his #3 with balata ball in his prime.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dus...lly-really-far
    Since DJ name was brought up I posted his witb. He is one of better ball strikers on the planet and he finds a home for a utility, fw woods, and hybrids in his bag as needed. The 7w is/was an old man's club, in fact, but his 3i is really a 2i based on todays jacked up iron lofts.

Dustin Johnson What’s In The Bag?

*The seven-wood, hybrids and utility come in and out of the bag regularly.
    Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 Max, 10.5° with Fujikura Speeder 661 X prototype shaft
    3 wood: TaylorMade SIM2 Max 3HL, 16.5°, Fujikura Ventus Black 9 X shaft
    7 wood: TaylorMade SIM Max, 21°, Project X HZRDUS Black 95 grams 6.5-flex
    *Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM Max, 19°, 22°
    *Utility: TaylorMade SIM DHY
    Irons (3-PW): TaylorMade P730 DJ Protos with True Temper Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts
    Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (52°, 60°) All have KBS Tour 120S shafts.
    Putter: TaylorMade TP Bandon 1
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5x

Last edited by Hopeless Sinner; 08-11-2021 at 04:39 PM.

I had a 10 on a par 5 last night

I'll be in the corner
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    I had a 10 on a par 5 last night

I'll be in the corner
    Shot a 38 (+3) on the back on Monday enroute to the 79. Was +3 on hole 10 on Tuesday.

Remember this is fun.

Just picked up a copy of "Golf is not a game of perfect"
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

I gave a lesson recently to a big strong guy with a great turn. We worked mostly with 6 iron. With his normal swing speed he can fly it 200+ but is atrociously wild. So I asked him if he wants to play golf or hit a great shot now and then. That’s not easily answered but I stressed that golf is not a game of perfect and It’s a lot more fun chasing scores than looking for balls. Just keeping the ball in play is hard enough for most people. Myself included.

Drew a 24 HC partner tonight who shot 44 and we netted 27. We got smoked by the team in our 4some with a 20HC who carded a 38 gross. My putting sucked in the comp. Played a couple of extra holes and finished 2 putting for a par from 40'. Left the putter in the bag and putted with my sand wedge. What a mind game.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Dr. Bob Rotella is The Man...100 pages in and have listened to a few of his YouTubes. Went out with his advice and have to say it was WORKING.

No swing thoughts, just point and shoot, and most importantly do it with confidence and TRUST YOURSELF.
    Stay Calm and be prepared for mistakes - How do you respond to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJa553fS75Y

Play Loose, Swing Loose, and NO Doubts.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Playing this track tomorrow. Gonna be a scorcher!

https://www.hyatthillcountrygolf.com/home/

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

shot a personal best 42 today but it was not without fuckery. drove the green on a 350 yd downhill par 4; proceeded to 4 putt.

i've had something of a driver revolution the last few rounds, adding close to 20 yds of carry. i've started teeing the ball as high as possible and setting up with my front foot a few inches behind the ball. it led to wicked slices at first but after setting my driver to fade and taking a more inside out approach, the ball flight is pretty damn straight most of the time.
    Last edited by stealurface831; 08-13-2021 at 03:21 PM.

I gave a lesson recently to a big strong guy with a great turn. We worked mostly with 6 iron. With his normal swing speed he can fly it 200+ but is atrociously wild. So I asked him if he wants to play golf or hit a great shot now and then. That’s not easily answered but I stressed that golf is not a game of perfect and It’s a lot more fun chasing scores than looking for balls. Just keeping the ball in play is hard enough for most people. Myself included.
    Im that guy. Baseball background, 6'3" 195lbs. I carry drives 300yards consistently, with a consistent fade to slice, and mutherfuckton of backspin on them- i get zero roll. When at a nice course, playing with "serious" people ill shoot low 80s. Last round at chambers bay was an 82. i can shoot pretty well if i play smart, and focus.

But damn, i pay a lot of money to play a course. I get more joy out of hitting 10 GREAT shots per round than i do hitting 70 decent shots, 8 bad shots, and 2 GREAT shots in a round. Its fucking fun to hit a shot that only pros can hit- out of the rough 180 yards over impossibly high trees to within 10', or to swing out of my shoes and drive a 310yard uphill par4. If i lose a few balls along the way, thats the cost of doing business. I like going for the hero shot everytime. Managing the bad holes and limiting damage is not fun. To me. To others, the sum on the scorecard is the joy.

I

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Playing this track tomorrow. Gonna be a scorcher!

https://www.hyatthillcountrygolf.com/home/

That's going to call for several gloves and a fresh shirt at the turn!

I went for a bike ride Tuesday night and got caught in a downpour and was completely drenched in a minute. Then i was playing a round Wednesday night in a humid 95+ heat and my clothes were just as wet with sweat after running back to the car dragging my push cart to beat another downpour.

My golf game was high 80s at it's best many years ago and then low 90s up to a few years ago. The last couple of years it was like i went back to a beginner, but lately it is starting to click again and I broke 90 2 of my last 3 rounds and left a lot of strokes out there. I have always had a nice draw on my good iron shots and a nasty hook the other 75% of the time and i recently found out by accident how to hit it straighter more consistently. I had tried gripping the club on my right hand forward to reduce the strong right hand with varied success. Now i take my forefinger completely off the club and my thumb straight down the top. I'm hitting it much straighter and consistent, but still don't trust it and overcompensate. If only I could putt worth a damn.

Yep. I looked for a course with a lot of trees to hide in the shade as much as possible.

I'll have a spare shirt for sure and I always roll with lots of fresh gloves. I fly out at 6am tomorrow so I'll be a complete pile of shit by 13th/14th hole

I do not miss August in the Middle Atlantic.
    95 in Pueblo today, clothes never even got damp.
    Jacked it OB on 1, got it back to even, even thru 15, jacked OB on 16, and bogeyed the last two. It’s getting closer, hopefully no regression.

Forgot to ask about the midget nazi presence there in Pueblo, next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	382244
    Meanwhile on the beach in the mid Atlantic.
    Fun read. Shivas, my kind of rotella.