Page 9 of 401 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    City Park, Wednesday at 9:20. Usual texts have been sent but we got room for one more if anyone else is down.

Let me know and I'll throw you on.
    The best things in life aren't things.

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    I think a 60* lw is in my near future.

I Got 14 in at Peacock Gap before the sun went down today, not a bad course but short. Found myself driver-wedge a lot, and had a few shots <100 yds out where I would have liked to take a full swing with a wedge.

I am thinking about heading to Half Moon Bay one of these Sundays to hit the twilight rate, if anyone from the bay wants to join me.
    After carrying it for 5 years, i'm finally dialing in my 60*. I don't use it for full swings, just for laser-like drop shots close to the green. Last full swing i bladed it and ended up 30 yards past the green on a 50 yard shot.

101 at the Pines. Triple and quad on the last two holes sorta didn't help. Did hit one of the prettiest 4H draws onto the green i've ever hit. And one curling 25' putt. Rest was meh. Nice part was teeing off at 340 we never had a group in front of or behind us. Only like 3-4 other groups on the whole course. Nice being able to play your own pace, although that appeared to spike the PBR consumption...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

RockChalk - Anyone not playing with a 60 degree lob wedge is doing themself a major disservice. Get one.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    RockChalk - Anyone not playing with a 60 degree lob wedge is doing themself a major disservice. Get one.
    Not all courses and conditions require a 60 degree wedge and it can be a bad thing. A player is much better off learning to be creative with one club than relying on a specific loft. You can open the face on a pitching wedge and get the same result as a 60 degree with the only difference being the bounce of the sole.

Our course opened saturday, and I played the first round of the year.
    -playing form mats to temporary greens

Had a good first round, 45, with weather from sun to wind to hail, felt like I was going through manopause.
    -snowed 5-6 inches sunday, shutting the course down
    -5 mountain goats in the ravine above the course

It's going to be a good year.

Grip 'em and Rip 'em!

General consensus, 3-PW, next club is a 60 degree wedge? I'm laid up for at least three months, won't be walking anything. I'd like to get a wedge and hobble around working on short game.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Not all courses and conditions require a 60 degree wedge and it can be a bad thing. A player is much better off learning to be creative with one club than relying on a specific loft. You can open the face on a pitching wedge and get the same result as a 60 degree with the only difference being the bounce of the sole.
    What I do. But but takes practice. Maybe different grasses call for it. Usually carry only 12 clubs in the bag. Add a "chipping club" to a 60 and you have the golf gapper setup. :-)
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    General consensus, 3-PW, next club is a 60 degree wedge? I'm laid up for at least three months, won't be walking anything. I'd like to get a wedge and hobble around working on short game.
    I'd get a 54 or 56 for that..

Yep^^

I am setup with a D, 3W (that rarely sees the light of day), 3H (20.5*), 4-GW, 54* SW, and soon to be a 60* lob.

At some point I would like to replace my AP2 GW with a 50* wedge that matches my SW and LW.

Yep^^

I am setup with a D, 3W (that rarely sees the light of day), 3H (20.5*), 4-GW, 54* SW, and soon to be a 60* lob.

At some point I would like to replace my AP2 GW with a 50* wedge that matches my SW and LW.
    I have an old Vokey 50* which is about my favorite club in the bag.

As i hit a 10.5* driver, i switched the 3W out for a 4W, made it a lot more playable for me...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Did swing the sticks this wknd, Tye?

i disagree.

I carry an OLD 55 Deg RAM Bounce wedge. A good day is when it stayed in the bag

Most of my work around the greens is usualy with an 8 iron.

FYI I am getting ready to head up to Kings Beach and walk 9 holes at Old Brockway. Anyone wanna join?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Fine, I guess the 60 degree wedge isn't for absolutely everyone, but there's a reason that 99% of tour pros have one in the bag. It in itself can be extremely versatile, particularly for shots from about 30 - 50 yards out where you have to carry and don't have a lot of green to work with. Sure, you can open up your pitching wedge, but you can't be that consistent doing that otherwise you have maybe the best short game on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    No, you'll want a sand wedge before that. 54 - 56* ... otherwise for full shots you're going to have too much of a gap.

Fine, I guess the 60 degree wedge isn't for absolutely everyone, but there's a reason that 99% of tour pros have one in the bag. It in itself can be extremely versatile, particularly for shots from about 30 - 50 yards out where you have to carry and don't have a lot of green to work with. Sure, you can open up your pitching wedge, but you can't be that consistent doing that otherwise you have maybe the best short game on the planet.
    Tour pros carry two and three irons also; 60 degree wedge is the 3 iron of wedges. Tour pros also use 8 degree drivers. Tour pros use X-stiff heavy shafts. What PGA tour pro's use has little in common with 99% of all amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Tour pros carry two and three irons also; 60 degree wedge is the 3 iron of wedges. Tour pros also use 8 degree drivers. Tour pros use X-stiff heavy shafts. What PGA tour pro's use has little in common with 99% of all amateurs.
    True. On the other hand, I'd say that a 60 degree wedge would benefit your average golfer more than a tour player.

So about to go play 9 @ Brockway, and now I am getting comped for the Mountain Course in Incline one of the next 2 days.

Was offered the Championship course but I am not ready to hit that yet.

Where did these frickin clouds come from!! I decide to play golf and the clouds come?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I'd say that a 60 degree wedge would benefit your average golfer more than a tour player.
    I agree, in large part because the average golfer doesn't have touch required to spin the ball consistently and effectively. I have to hit it high in order to hold slippery greens; there's too much risk associated with trying to hit a lower-trajectory shot that checks up.

^^This is the exact reason I want one- full swing approaches under 100 yds to land the ball soft.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    Great post. Some my best golf memories are from when I was just starting out and trying to squeeze nine in at the back end of the day. Being out there by yourself during dusk is pretty magical. The best is when one of the groundskeepers has to follow you around to pull pins.
    this reminded me of the time i was trying to have that experience at rose city, except it wasn't even dusk yet and i had just started the back nine, but nobody was on the course. the groundskeeper drove right past me in the fairway and pulled the pin and i asked him why, given that i paid and it wasn't even dark. he just said "aim for the center of the green" and kept driving. took me a few holes to calm down after that. fucking city owned course, too.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    this reminded me of the time i was trying to have that experience at rose city, except it wasn't even dusk yet and i had just started the back nine, but nobody was on the course. the groundskeeper drove right past me in the fairway and pulled the pin and i asked him why, given that i paid and it wasn't even dark. he just said "aim for the center of the green" and kept driving. took me a few holes to calm down after that. fucking city owned course, too.
    Read in Golf Mag or somewhere of a study they did with a bunch of 'average' golfers. Half had the pins to shoot at, the other half the pulled them so they just 'aimed for the center of the green'. Guess which group had the lower average score?

^ I was gonna say, he probably did you a favor.

Some of the most memorable rounds/shots of my life have been on solo/twilight rounds. It is truly a meditative experience for me to play alone, especially on the rear end of a gorgeous summer day.

Last year I made it a point to play twilight every Sunday by myself, it helped to get my mind right going into a new work week and it also served as a formal end to my weekend. Can't reccomend it enough.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Read in Golf Mag or somewhere of a study they did with a bunch of 'average' golfers. Half had the pins to shoot at, the other half the pulled them so they just 'aimed for the center of the green'. Guess which group had the lower average score?
    he probably did do me a favor, but he was a dick about it. it wasn't a nice "just aim for the center of the green." it was a "you're the only fuck out here and you can't play for shit so i'm going home early" just aim for the center of the green.

also, somebody earlier mentioned that after you establish your handicap, when you exceed it you can just pick up. at least i think that was what the gist of it was, and i don't have time to look through the whole thread at the moment. is that actually true? seems i heard that somewhere else in a group of people and somebody objected and said that isn't true because your handicap isn't static.

thanks for all the input. i'm not expecting gospel truth, but a lot of ideas i can play around with, pick a few and focus on. i shot 108 my first season on what i've been told is a relatively difficult course (74.1/136 from black, i'm playing from white -- i think 70.2/123) after a couple of months hitting the ball at the range and not really understanding the importance of the short game until i heard on a major broadcast that what, 60% of all shots by the pros are inside 100 yards?

i hope i can break 100 this summer and make significant progress toward 90. my putting has already improved significantly.

i'm also not trying to emulate tiger's swing, just learn from it. after 20+ years of pretty severe musculoskeletal problems, i've lost a lot of flexibility and i'm trying to figure out what i am capable of doing that is relatively technically sound and functional in my condition for the long run, given the torque involved in golf.

spook Guest
    Some of the most memorable rounds/shots of my life have been on solo/twilight rounds. It is truly a meditative experience for me to play alone, especially on the rear end of a gorgeous summer day.

Last year I made it a point to play twilight every Sunday by myself, it helped to get my mind right going into a new work week and it also served as a formal end to my weekend. Can't reccomend it enough.

yeah, i love it, but i also like earlybird. i've been one of the first two or three out playing alone at least 3 times this season. i get that little tingling in my loins when i drive up and the lot is empty and the pro shop guys haven't even started pulling out the BIG SALE shit that even at 30-50% off is absurdly expensive.

i have to work harder when i play with other people, particularly people i don't know. i'm not chatty on the course and i find it really distracting to my mindspace to have to be considerate of others, as pathetic as that sounds. i guess that's part of the game, too, though.