Page 8 of 401 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Golf blows. It does. I used to play every single day and growing up i was a pretty fantastic player. At age 15 a switch turned and I didn't care anymore. It didn't matter if I had a good shot or a crummy shot. I didn't care what I shot. I'd be out golfing with my dad and I'd have to quit and get ran home on the cart because I was falling asleep due to boredom. My whole family loves golf. I like golf. I just don't care to play. End random rant.
    I never played until I was older. I try to always walk. I guess some people like other types of games, sports/adrenaline rushes.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Common Grounds was a great track. Not too thrilled to shoot 82 finishing bogey, bogey, bogey, but it wasn't the courses fault. I hit the driver great on the range but the only drive I got though all day ended up in a playable hazard. Then I thought I hit a decent one and Das poked it 30 yards by me. That 25 yard chip in was one of my best shots ever over a bunker, not much green to work with, ball above my feet, ball resting against the rough/second cut line, flushed it... totally made my day. Nice getting out with some fam and Das. Thanks for the AP2's. I can't wait to hit em but it's gonna start raining soon. Actually just glanced outside and it's raining right now.
    CommonGround Golf Course. Tom Doak created a masterpiece out of an old City Municipal for 1 US Dollar.

Doak designed CommonGround in the most classic links style. A true gem like no other (Balleyneal?). Walking preferred, no houses nearby, practically no structures, and right smack in the middle of Denver's equivalent to the Bronx. Companion course to Cherry Hills CC for this years U.S. Amateur.

The greens are wicked fast Bent grass, with a maintenance staff who worship speed from their Stimpmeter. Don't miss the fairway, the rough, the native grasses +high plains desert grasses (irrigated too), or you are in jail. With the hot temps, weekly rain, and stretches of dry weather, the native is gnar gnar thick. CommonGround will host this years U.S. AM's stroke play rounds they lengthened basically every single hole, creating a monster.

Wind or not, I expect carnage from CommonGround but also extreme character from the eventual winner's glory at Cherry Hills Country Club.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    I can only play in the AM on Wednesday, how about willis case? sort of half way for both of us? Fun track, cheap and decent greens.

Let's do it. I've been wanting to get out on WC for a while now. What time were you thinking? I'm good for whenever.
    The best things in life aren't things.

spook Guest
    i'm sure this will be a stupid question, but since i've never been fitted and only been playing about a year’s worth total after missing last season, i'm okay with stupid questions.

i gopro-ed roughly 30 shots in my last round, mostly from the tee and the fairway hitting anything between driver and 5 iron. i bought a shitty set of clubs that i could afford to get started with (troon intrepid, I think, but I’m not where they are and I can’t even find troon clubs with google), but since i didn't know any better, they are apparently 1/2" or more too short for me (so says the guys at the course i play at who are trying to sell me a $100/bag section fitting.

in any case, when i reviewed the film, in addition to my astonishingly poor posture at address to ending up with most of my weight on my back foot like a home run hitter to not really turning my wrists over, i noticed that the clubs have more flex than i realized. there is no notation on the clubs about flex, so i assumed they were regular.

the thing that surprised me the most, however, was that when I start my downswing, the club flexes and the clubhead trails my hands, but before I get to the bottom of my swing, the club has flexed concave (from the hole) and the clubhead is AHEAD of my hands. Especially on the driver, but on the longer irons as well. I initially assumed I’m trying to kill the ball too much and swinging too hard but then I thought maybe the clubs are too flexible for my swing.

Any thoughts?

^^Your shafts might be too weak for for your swing, and you are casting.

Craigslist for clubs. stop buying clones.
    Terje was right.

spook Guest
    ^^Your shafts might be too weak for for your swing, and you are casting.

Craigslist for clubs. stop buying clones.
    thanks. i got them off craigslist but knew even less about clubs then than i do now.

I play stiff steel. Did as a junior(High School is what my friends call me on the course), still like them now. I'd even consider a stiffer steel shaft, if I could find one. I had my clubs from a junior, and my dad shipped them to me. They were made for me when I was 5-9, 180, now I am 6-2, 245. I thought I was killing the ball as a junior. Anyway, when the doc I work with offered me his X18's for free, I jumped on them. They are 1/2" longer than stock clubs, and I was always topping it with the shorter irons. I think a club fitting is a great idea. Maybe try a bunch of different shafts, and see what works for you. Just had extensive knee surgery, so I am out for a bit. I am totally stoked on this game, though.

Edit: Be careful who you let adjust your clubs for you. $100 from the random guy on your course, $200 at a decent club fitter(I am guessing, I don't know exactly what it costs, but $100 sounds too cheap). Then you spend the $200 to fix what the first guy did.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    thanks. i got them off craigslist but knew even less about clubs then than i do now.
    i'd just spend 2-300 on a decent set of irons from the last decade w/steel shafts. golfwrx.com can have some great deals in their gear swap.

one fun drill to get you on your front foot: take your stance, then [assuming you're rt handed] step your left foot back next to your right. Take your backswing, then take a step forward as you swing thru the ball. Kinda like pitching a baseball i guess. You'll not hit the ball very well at first, but after a few dozen you'll be totally weighting your front foot as you follow thru...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I play stiff steel. Did as a junior(High School is what my friends call me on the course), still like them now. I'd even consider a stiffer steel shaft, if I could find one. I had my clubs from a junior, and my dad shipped them to me. They were made for me when I was 5-9, 180, now I am 6-2, 245. I thought I was killing the ball as a junior. Anyway, when the doc I work with offered me his X18's for free, I jumped on them. They are 1/2" longer than stock clubs, and I was always topping it with the shorter irons. I think a club fitting is a great idea. Maybe try a bunch of different shafts, and see what works for you. Just had extensive knee surgery, so I am out for a bit. I am totally stoked on this game, though.

Edit: Be careful who you let adjust your clubs for you. $100 from the random guy on your course, $200 at a decent club fitter(I am guessing, I don't know exactly what it costs, but $100 sounds too cheap). Then you spend the $200 to fix what the first guy did.
    i'm usually 5'9" 180 but still trying to work off the 20 i gained in the past year being hobbled by a car accident. i also wrestled into college, so sometimes i think i have a hard time dialing down the power. it wasn't a random guy on the course, it was the pro shop at the course. they charge $100 per bag section, so $100 for driver, $100 for irons, and i guess $100 for putter.

as for casting, i've just been reading a little, and it sounds like casting involves releasing the wrists too early. i'm looking at my video again, and what i think i'm doing is leaning back and releasing too late. it doesn't look like i'm releasing too early. i slice much more often than i hook.

you're right, though. i need to get fitted. the pro shop said that they would apply the cost of club fitting to my purchase if i buy from them, but i don't have $300 to get fitted right now, much less spend another whatever on a set of clubs. i had planned on getting fitted and then buying off craigslist, but it seems lose-lose if i spend $300 getting fitted and i don't know, another $200 to get a full set at the pro shop, or spend $300 getting fitted and then $200 to buy a similar used set cheap on craigslist.

i top the ball as much as i hit it fat, which is making it hard to figure out what exactly i'm doing wrong. one thing with the driver, in particular, after comparing it to the nike commercial of tiger, is my wrists are breaking on the backswing too early and too much and on my follow through my arms and the club end up wound up behind my head.

another issue i'm having is how high to tee up the ball. from what i've read, i should be teeing it up so roughly half the ball is above the top of the driver head. my driver is very small -- barely larger than the 3 and 5 woods, but i'm teeing up that way and still am struggling with topping and fat shots.

thanks for the comments.

Weight of the shaft is just as important as flex. A heavy regular might be better than a light stiff for a particular swing. How much you load the shaft is just as important as how fast you swing when it comes to shaft flex. All a club fitting will do is give you a baseline. The one thing good about a big box golf store is they let you flip clubs until you find a set you like.

I'm really happy with Calloway Uniflex NS pro 1100 Nippon shaft for my swing but club head weight and grip size also make a difference.

For driver most people tee the ball too high. The new giant headed drivers are designed to hit the ball significantly on the upswing so you are forced to hit the ball higher. I play a controlled drive with a small 9.5 head and tee just about center of the club face. The idea with driver is LESS spin.

Try hitting the ball with just your left arm. It will help you from overpowering the club with your right arm.

Here's the drill for swinging without ending up with your weight on your back foot. Watch his feet as he makes the 1st two baseball practice swings.

Imbed not working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNauilZRzHk

I played with $75 used clubs that were one inch too short. Got new clubs soon after shooting a 69 with the $75 ones.

I still occasionally throw a 7 iron into the bag from my very 1st set for fun. Head about the size of a pack of matches and an aluminum shaft. Hit it 10 yards shorter than my regular 7 iron but I just factor that in.

Unless your clubs are complete shit, at this stage for you it's the swing, not the club/shaft.

Hitting fat and thin? Your heads moving too much. Maybe too big of a back swing.

DO NOT WATCH TIGERS SWING FOR LEARNING YOURS
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

BTW-- You do know how to grip the club? Assuming you're right handed.
    Left hand - pressure on the pinkie and ring finger. The other fingers are neutral.
    Right hand - Pressure on the ring and "fuck you" finger. The thumb and index finger pinch the club grip as a guide.

Proper grip pressure - About as hard as you would hold your dick to pee if it was sore.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    BTW-- You do know how to grip the club? Assuming you're right handed.
    Left hand - pressure on the pinkie and ring finger. The other fingers are neutral.
    Right hand - Pressure on the ring and "fuck you" finger. The thumb and index finger pinch the club grip as a guide.

Proper grip pressure - About as hard as you would hold your dick to pee if it was sore.
    All great advice for the most part.

The grip pressure analogy is unfortunately not true. Grip strength is the barometer of grip pressure. Someone who has really strong arms and hands, might need to loosen up. But the majority of not very strong people, most likely need to find the right grip to allow them to move the club faster, which may mean more pressure. peace out.
    Terje was right.

I taught my wife to play and she can't clap her hands twice to the same beat. taught her to hold the club like a bird and swing like a kid on a swing. She used to drive the ball 220 until she tried to get better. 99.9% of people learning to play hold it too tight. Maybe Spook is in the .01%

Woody, I think your sig about advice fits really well here. Most people, unfortunately don't have the strength to hold the club too "tightly". Their grip might be totally wrong, or some other point of tension, which can come across as "too tight". The reality, from data I have seen, testing hundreds of tour pros for their grip pressure and strength, is the opposite. A pro might SAY they are holding it loosely, but in reality, the tour pro's idea of loose, most normal people cannot even match with full pressure.

Different from pressure, the proper grip is something to find, and maintain. Any extended break from golf, and a little attention to the grip can help any golfer regain form. Vardon was the man.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Got new clubs soon after shooting a 69
    Yo wooley ,
    How many times are you gona tell everybody about your now legendary 69 .
    Do you yell , " I'm the man " , after every tee shoot .

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Yo wooley ,
    How many times are you gona tell everybody about your now legendary 69 .
    Do you yell , " I'm the man " , after every tee shoot .
    In my mind it's not meant to crow. Still amazed at that score myself. Didn't play for weeks afterward just to hold onto the glow. Shit, I shot 113 on the same course later that year. Guess my point with that tale is that to me golf is such a crazy, wonderful game. Equipment is way over rated as a function of scoring or fun for 90% of the people out there. When a 12 handicapper can shoot a 69 (with a 31 on the back 9 I might add) it takes it out of a skill mode and into something more of a freaky cosmic other world dimension. I claim no credit or skill but did hit the ball 69 times that day.

Woody, I think your sig about advice fits really well here. Most people, unfortunately don't have the strength to hold the club too "tightly". Their grip might be totally wrong, or some other point of tension, which can come across as "too tight". The reality, from data I have seen, testing hundreds of tour pros for their grip pressure and strength, is the opposite. A pro might SAY they are holding it loosely, but in reality, the tour pro's idea of loose, most normal people cannot even match with full pressure.

Different from pressure, the proper grip is something to find, and maintain. Any extended break from golf, and a little attention to the grip can help any golfer regain form. Vardon was the man.
    Just came in from practicing 15 - 20 yd punch shots in the front yard with a 7 iron.

My thoughts

-Proper grip for sure is key and by proper I mean 1st knowing which fingers to pressure so as to create a proper hinge. Right on to Vardon's words.

-What makes sense for a pro is not the same to a beginner IMO. Teaching beginners is a whole different game that teaching a swing fix to an advanced golfer.

- My experience - Any adjustment used to fix your swing only lasts for 3 holes

-The golf swing is natural and thinking screws it up.

Teaching my wife to pitch onto the green from 30 yds. "Swing the club loosely" I say. She swings like a drunk on a pitching ship. "Tighter" I say. She swings like a robot. "Try something in between" She makes a fluid stroke, hits the ball that flies to the green and rolls into the hole." Like that?" she asks" Yeah honey, just like that. True story.

Now back outside to try those punch shots with an 8

Got out at Indian Valley in Novato today, first time out there and I was impressed with all of the elevation change but not so much the sloped fairways.

Scored a couple of 41s with more than a couple doubles.

On a separate note, I am looking to fill out the 14th slot in my bag and am having trouble deciding between an 18* mashie or adding a lob wedge. I currently play titty AP2 4-gw and a 54* cleveland wedge, but I rarely have shot where I think more loft would help. I also keep going back to Harvey Penick's maxim that a lob wedge does more harm than good in most amateur's hands.

Any input from those who have experience a similar dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Got out at Indian Valley in Novato today, first time out there and I was impressed with all of the elevation change but not so much the sloped fairways.

Scored a couple of 41s with more than a couple doubles.

On a separate note, I am looking to fill out the 14th slot in my bag and am having trouble deciding between an 18* mashie or adding a lob wedge. I currently play titty AP2 4-gw and a 54* cleveland wedge, but I rarely have shot where I think more loft would help. I also keep going back to Harvey Penick's maxim that a lob wedge does more harm than good in most amateur's hands.

Any input from those who have experience a similar dilemma?
    I kept a chart for about 10 rounds and I hit my 3iron only about 15 times, my 3wd almost never and was using my 56 SW for everything around the green. I took out the 3W and replaced it with a 60 LW, but kept the 3I. Anyway, my point is, chart out what you actually use and then you'll know what your holes are. I go with D, 5W, 3-LW, and P. I'm only a 15 though so what do I know!?!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

My 64 degree has saved so many strokes that it's incalculable. If you were playing the Old Course or Bandon everyday a lob would be mostly useless, but my guess is you probably don't.

I like Indian Valley but agree all the elevation changes get old after a while. Same with Stonetree. Ever play San Geronimo? My favorite Marin course by far, although it's a little bit of a drive; a bit less up- and -down and a super pretty spot. I'm out of commission the next couple weekends but am game to get a group together sometime after that if folks are interested.

I tend to agree with the Little Red Book on most matters but love my 60 deg. wedge. It demands some practice, because it's easy to get sloppy with it and blade the ball on tight lies, but when it's dialed it's a stroke saver for sure. As for the mashie, I ditched my 4 for a 22 deg. Adams utility and haven't really looked back- it does make the bag look a little grandfatherly but is great for those shitty lies where the ball's sitting down, you're 220 yards from the green, and laying up is for pussies. And it's pretty good off the deck and around the green, too, if you wanna get creative.

Spook- I suggest that you not overload yourself with suggestions. Pick one thing to work on per range session and stick with it. And keep a club in the house to swing every so often, I think a few (full) practice swings in the back yard are good for developing tempo which is often tough for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    Front Range bros down for a round next wednesday? Any time and any course. GolfNow has great deals on Colorado National at 3p for $29. At 4 it goes down to $25. $45 a pop rest of the day. Broadlands is $39 after 2. Plum Creek is $40 after 2 but that's kind of a hike. Deer Creek is $35 after 2. Wouldn't mind hitting up Riverdale Dunes again either.

Just a few ideas but, again, I'm wide open.
    Hit me up for Wednesday. My schedule is looking good in the am at the moment. Played Dunes again yesterday. Course is in phenomenal shape. Greens were pretty fast considering the recent rain. I'd be down for WC though. Price is right for sure.

Hit 200 drivers on the range figuring out the G15 driver. Its coming around.

I think a 60* lw is in my near future.

I Got 14 in at Peacock Gap before the sun went down today, not a bad course but short. Found myself driver-wedge a lot, and had a few shots <100 yds out where I would have liked to take a full swing with a wedge.

I am thinking about heading to Half Moon Bay one of these Sundays to hit the twilight rate, if anyone from the bay wants to join me.