Page 83 of 402 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 10029
    Tiger just topped the ball with the driver on the 1st in Dubai (their 10th). I think every year I see him hit a bad shot like this, and every year the retarded announcer from Sky Sports says it was the worst shot he has ever seen Tiger hit since 1997.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

There's a fine line between hard core and stooopid!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golf 1-13-13 001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	130739

Name:	Golf 1-13-13 002.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	130740

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Walking on frost damages the course and especially the greens.

I wondered about that too as I drive by an often frosty but open GC on the way to ski. I think that here in the coastal PNW the ground does not freeze so any damage is soon undone. When I was in NYS play was often delayed for the frost to melt off. I played once when an October snow dump moved in at the turn. Balls chipped onto the green grew into snowballs as they rolled until they tipped over. Only thing that keeps me away is too much snow or too much lightening.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I think that here in the coastal PNW the ground does not freeze so any damage is soon undone.
    The grass breaks and that's what gets damaged. It will leave permanent footprints on a green.

I've played when the course was frozen solid .
    It adds a whole now meaning to hard and fast conditions .

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The grass breaks and that's what gets damaged. It will leave permanent footprints on a green.
    right, but if it isn't dormant, it'll just grow out and the broken bits will be cut at the next mow... at least I think so!?!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

spook Guest
    no i think what happens is that all future growth out of broken blades is broken in the same place. the only way to get rid of them is to dig it up.

Or you could have said , " Hi , I'm an idiot " .

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    no i think what happens is that all future growth out of broken blades is broken in the same place. the only way to get rid of them is to dig it up.

Some of the courses around the bay area definitely have frost delays. If a course closes for the winter I don't think it matters, but if it's open year round then it seems to be a point of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    right, but if it isn't dormant, it'll just grow out and the broken bits will be cut at the next mow... at least I think so!?!
    I spent some time looking at this over Christmas while waiting for the course to thaw... Frost on the greens means the grass itself is frozen and that the cell walls within the stalk will shatter if stepped upon. The root will be okay but until it grows out you'll have dead areas where the frozen stalks were crushed. This is, obviously, a bigger issue on greens, where inconsistencies in the surface affect play most, than it is anywhere else- but it can happen anywhere on the course.

(Not my photo.)

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I've played when the course was frozen solid .
    It adds a whole now meaning to hard and fast conditions .
    It was like chipping onto a piece of plywood.

If they wanna stay open and it's not raining, we play.

spook Guest
    Nike is making special golf shoes for playing on frost. Each shoe has a rapid heating/cooling element with a microblaster fan. After a personal fitting, the shoe recognizes the wearer's gait and anticipates the foot making contact with the ground and initiates the following sequence. As the foot lowers to the ground, the heating element turns on and the microblaster blows the heat out the sole of the shoe. The special radiant heat thaws the grass blades to 2" below the surface before the impact and weight of the player can break the grass. At the bottom of the leg rotation, the element switches to freeze and the microblaster refreezes the grass as the player steps away.

So, spent three hours at Golftec last week.

All the data (and my own personal feel and aesthetic proclivities) landed on the new Minzuno JPX 825 Pros. Shafts correct length, grip, angles, offsets etc customized.

Custom shafts - KBS c-tapers: http://www.golfwrx.com/23602/kbs-c-taper-shaft-review/

Holy moley, the shafts and feel is amazing. Side spin nil, was hitting my old 7 iron average of 158 carry and these are at 179 carry with 15 yards better accuracy. Lower ball flight (I tend to cast, pinch it and send the ball soaring) but much longer plateau.

Going to dedicate myself this year. Had a great experience at Golftec. Would recommend.

I stumbled on a Walter Hagen persimmon driver today at a thrift store. 3 bucks so I could not pass it up. Minty condition. Can't wait to see how it hits.

^^ Sweet. I would have paid more than $3 just for the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    So, spent three hours at Golftec last week.

All the data (and my own personal feel and aesthetic proclivities) landed on the new Minzuno JPX 825 Pros. Shafts correct length, grip, angles, offsets etc customized.

Custom shafts - KBS c-tapers: http://www.golfwrx.com/23602/kbs-c-taper-shaft-review/

Holy moley, the shafts and feel is amazing. Side spin nil, was hitting my old 7 iron average of 158 carry and these are at 179 carry with 15 yards better accuracy. Lower ball flight (I tend to cast, pinch it and send the ball soaring) but much longer plateau.

Going to dedicate myself this year. Had a great experience at Golftec. Would recommend.
    great choice! Obviously i'm biased, as they have a lot of the same design features as my CB forged irons, but these are the next level up. Awesome...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    great choice! Obviously i'm biased, as they have a lot of the same design features as my CB forged irons, but these are the next level up. Awesome...
    Thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Or you could have said , " Hi , I'm an idiot " .
    The thread may be out of season, but you show nice form here.

Good luck Commonlaw.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Walking on frost damages the course and especially the greens.
    So many courses hurting for money dont care, and suffer through it. Here in CO, I have seen the damage.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

spook Guest
    in case anybody didn't see the golf gods push mickelson's 59 out of the hole for bitching about his taxes...

http://deadspin.com/5980651/phil-mic...ing-a-59-today

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post

Name:	Golf 1-13-13 001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	130739

Name:	Golf 1-13-13 002.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	130740
    They're not on the greens, possible they were playing winter ones. I assume you're referring to all the Jeans in the pictures. That said, playing at that temp is never fun. I used to fear warming up with my 3iron blades during frost delays.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

So, spent three hours at Golftec last week. ..
    sick!

nice to know that you are at least starting from a good and neutral point equipment-wise... now you can fly!

I only did the loft/lie check with Golftec and my current clubs (Nike CCI) and at least I know that I'm within spec there, but it'd be fun to go in blind and do the full set club/shaft match thingy... Did you go to the "Downtown" one or is there another up north somewhere? My dad & brother have been downtown, can't remember the guy's name that runs the place though...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

landed on the new Minzuno JPX 825 Pros.
    Very nice. I love my 800 Pros.

Also... Wow, Phil. Nobody would be more excited to shoot 59, and he even had a decent bid at 58.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 02-01-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    sick!

nice to know that you are at least starting from a good and neutral point equipment-wise... now you can fly!

I only did the loft/lie check with Golftec and my current clubs (Nike CCI) and at least I know that I'm within spec there, but it'd be fun to go in blind and do the full set club/shaft match thingy... Did you go to the "Downtown" one or is there another up north somewhere? My dad & brother have been downtown, can't remember the guy's name that runs the place though...
    Very stoked to have the right tools. Nothing to blame anymore

I went to the Bellevue location. It's literally on the same block as my work. Great mix of fun and informality but serious about getting you in the right stuff. I worked with Eric and Erin in tandem. The Regional Manager is pretty funny. Guy named Brett who is also at that location. I was waiting for a call to tell me clubs were in and got the following voicemail: "Ah, its Brett. I have good news and bad news. The bad news is they discontinued the 825s. The good news is that I'm fucking with you. Get down here."