Page 75 of 401 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 10019
    I love golf... unfortunately its $130 a round where I live and the cheaper courses are 45min-2 hours away. My one round this year was a solid 108. I count it all. Never understood the cheaters. Cracks me up. If I shoot an 11 write me down for an 11. The way I golf I will birdie par the next two anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post

Back to the handicap thing....shouldnt handicaps be JUST for the casual golfer? I never understood how any serious golfer claims to have "won " their member guest outing when they actually got smoked without the index. Its like lying to yourself.
    Handicaps allow competition between golfers that are decided based on how well they played that day compared to their average and (how un-American) luck. In the "casual" (i.e. anything less than a district championship) competitions I am familiar with, the matches are played at 80% of your given handicap to further equal the competition. If you're not breaking 100 and want to get better, you really shouldn't be keeping score of your strokes, you should be counting your mishits and trying to reduce that number IMO. What I did.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Handicaps allow competition between golfers that are decided based on how well they played that day compared to their average and (how un-American) luck. In the "casual" (i.e. anything less than a district championship) competitions I am familiar with, the matches are played at 80% of your given handicap to further equal the competition. If you're not breaking 100 and want to get better, you really shouldn't be keeping score of your strokes, you should be counting your mishits and trying to reduce that number IMO. What I did.
    Hahahaha.. It was kind of a rhetorical question Wooley. I know what they are for. And I average low 80's

I just started lessons again a few weeks ago and my swing is better than ever, can't wait to take that swing out of the golf course !

(posters note: I live in Houston which is 95 degrees and 95% humidity from june thru septtember, so i usually dont play golf after memorial day unless someone else wants to pay my green fees)
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Hahahaha.. It was kind of a rhetorical question Wooley. I know what they are for. And I average low 80's

As the PNW continues to resemble Florida with mountains and without the tourists and humidity, I'm playing tomorrow with SkitoBe on a primo course with a twilite fee of $40 with cart. TR to follow.

Noice!^^. I will be sporting my raingear tomorrow like I have all week.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

As the PNW continues to resemble Florida with mountains and without the tourists and humidity, I'm playing tomorrow with SkitoBe on a primo course with a twilite fee of $40 with cart. TR to follow.
    Curious as to where?

Back to the handicap thing....shouldnt handicaps be JUST for the casual golfer? I never understood how any serious golfer claims to have "won " their member guest outing when they actually got smoked without the index. Its like lying to yourself.
    I couldn't disagree more...the handicap is how you are playing right now, based on your last x scores (depending how many you have recorded). I have buddies that don't get out much, I have buddies that are near scratch, and I have buddies that just aren't good. We can go out based on our handicaps, and have a legit betting day...all even-Steven.

Another example, my wife...she is 5'0, 85lbs...she just started to play for real this year. I don't know if she will ever be long, but she is pure 160 down the center. She has a 36+ handicap right now, and she tries to beat me every round based on handicap...if all we were doing was going out, i shoot 85 she shoots 110, what fun is that? With handicap, she can beat me...

At any rate, I just don't get mullies, etc...it hurts you in tourneys that use it, or in betting scenarios. Respect for counting every stroke and penalty and what not.

On another note, after my 77 on Sunday in my club championship, I just went out, played the tips and went massive with a 94. Hit 88% of fairways, but was just gross with irons and chipping (38 putts didn't help). That score will be posted, but will not factor into my index...lolz.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Cranked...I know what they are for. See my resonse to Wooley.

On another note, after my 77 on Sunday in my club championship, I just went out, played the tips and went massive with a 94. Hit 88% of fairways, but was just gross with irons and chipping (38 putts didn't help). That score will be posted, but will not factor into my index...lolz.
    I hear you on that. Shot 36 today which means a 46 tomorrow. The big boys skills are amazing but its their consistancy that blows my mind.

I strung together my first ever 9 holes without anything worse than a bogey tonight. Shot a 42, which ties my best score ever. For me not having a single blow up hole is a big deal, wish I could have made the turn as I feel like I had a legit shot at breaking 90 for the first time ever.

...The big boys skills are amazing but its their consistancy that blows my mind.
    Fact.

EDIT: Club Championships are without handicaps...you win that shit straight up...best golfer wins. Member/Guests use handicaps so humps can play and everyone is even. Member/Guests are about getting hammered, not throwing darts...hence the need for the handi. I played a 9 blacked out in one this year...good times.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Curious as to where?

Roper at Suncadia

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Roper at Suncadia
    Nice, have fun!

One spot where I think a little rule flexibility is ok is the first tee box. If you haven't had a proper warm up or had to rush from work or just aren't quite ready to play a mulligan drive is reasonable. It's just no fun to trash your round on the first shot of the day. Even the most strict men's club I know allows a mully on the first tee.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    One spot where I think a little rule flexibility is ok is the first tee box. If you haven't had a proper warm up or had to rush from work or just aren't quite ready to play a mulligan drive is reasonable. It's just no fun to trash your round on the first shot of the day. Even the most strict men's club I know allows a mully on the first tee.
    Shenanigans...i use Tin Cup as my goto...he barely makes his tee time in the first round, get denied hitting a "quick bucket". As the starter says, "tee it up".

Sweet 36 philth. Congrats and it is sweet to meet goals in golf.

Sandbaggers are assholes. Many guys at most clubs just accept people are going to do it.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by cranked View Post
    Shenanigans...i use Tin Cup as my goto...he barely makes his tee time in the first round, get denied hitting a "quick bucket". As the starter says, "tee it up".
    Like Rory, he's supposed to be a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Sweet 36 philth. Congrats and it is sweet to meet goals in golf.

Sandbaggers are assholes. Many guys at most clubs just accept people are going to do it.
    It was insinuated I was a sandbagger in a member/guest earlier this year...this is the problem. I count everything...everything. I can get hot, but I also have a quad in there and several dubs per round...

I think a lot of times, people look at others as sandbaggers, when they are just honest. The people that look at others as sandbaggers, take mullies, big gimmies, improve their lies, etc...this is my theory. I have been on the good side of the handicap for my last few tourneys, so this is subject to change as it normalizes.

Tanqueray=party.

Like Rory, he's supposed to be a professional.
    There you go...I figure if Rory can win a Ryder Cup match, I can get out in front of a foursome cold.

but I also have a quad in there and several dubs per round...
    How can you have a quad with equitable scoring?

How can you have a quad with equitable scoring?
    Par 3's, good sir. Put your detective hat on and figure out my handicap range...

There you go...I figure if Rory can win a Ryder Cup match, I can get out in front of a foursome cold.
    I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but if everyone is doing it I'll take it and if I'm playing with someone that doesn't play very much I encourage it.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but if everyone is doing it I'll take it and if I'm playing with someone that doesn't play very much I encourage it.
    Not judging...not judging. I feel like we would enjoy golf together...metro sometime...

Not judging...not judging. I feel like we would enjoy golf together...metro sometime...
    Course has recovered from aeration and is in beautiful condition. I can play almost any day. I live close so beers are on me.