Page 5 of 401 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    My Dad is a member there now. I've played it a few times. Tough and tricky, but fun.
    Very cool. I was impressed. It is another great Robert Trent Jones Jr. design that is very playable, yet very long. We played about 7300 from the tips if I recall. Great location nestled into the hills there. The owner is the founder of SAP, and we got to haver dinner with him on Friday. Real treat. Great setup with the villas too. I shipped my clubs out and they had them ready and waiting when I arrived! We played a 2 day, 2 man best ball. Cool event.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	911.2 KB 
ID:	115218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	115219

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Your going about it the right way Spook. Not keeping score and having fun. Tell yourself "Bogies are my friend" on every tee. Here's a tip for your driver. Pick out a spot where you'd like the ball to land. You are picking a spot aren't you? Then aim and swing for a spot 20 yards closer. I must have heard 50 "longest drive I ever hit" stories and in almost every one the guy said "and I felt like I was hardly swinging". Els has the swing to emulate. God! I love the game.
    yes, i always pick a particular target. i've worked on having a consistent setup routine. the things i've been focusing on the most lately are loosening my grip, letting the club do the work, releasing my wrists, keeping my head still. ironically, lots of semi-psychological concepts of having faith. i've also started wondering if my stance is too wide. i wrestled and was a goalkeeper in soccer, among other things, for many years, and my "athletic stance" is pretty low so i noticed i've been setting up with a stance that is wider than my shoulders and my shoulders are a pretty wide. and so a lot of times i would end up in a home run stance after my swing, with all my weight back, unable to rock up onto my front foot. i played with a narrower stance for a few holes last time i played, and it seemed to make a difference.

i am also generally very technique oriented, but it's been a struggle not to end up trying to kill the ball at the last minute. i'm shocked i didn't find the game earlier. i'm sure everybody has their own motivations, but golf for me is very psychological and exposes my trouble areas. it's better than therapy and cheaper, too.

self-analysis when you don't really know what you're doing is pretty hard. i actually thought it might be a good use of my rarely used gopro -- put it on a 5 foot stake and record each of my swings in my next round.

Sounds like you are definitely headed the right way. I've seen that "over athletic" stance before. A video or standing in front of a mirror will show you what you are doing as opposed to what you "feel" you are doing.

My dad, 1939 Tri-City Caddy Champion, got me started young but not in a pushy way. His advice. Keep you head still, swing easy to let the club do the work and only tell your wife every OTHER time you play.

It's really fun when you can stop playing "golf swing" and start playing golf.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Great day at Hyland Hills Gold today. Started off shaky but started hitting the ball decently after a few holes. Still not really where I want to be consistently but I hit a few beauts out there. I really need to learn to hit the big boy clubs though. Hard to keep up with people when the farthest you'll ever tee off is 225. Had to dip after 13 as to not miss my final but it was still fun.

Sank a 30-40 footer as well. That was fun. After a couple more weeks the greens out there should be on point.
    The best things in life aren't things.

Hyland... Best bang for the buck course I've ever played. Nice to get out there with you, Das, and Fritz again. I was so displeased with just flashes of good holes that I went to Coal Creek to hit a bucket. Fun day overall though.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I was pretty impressed with the layout. How did the last few holes play? I was bummed I didn't get to play 13 (14?). That huge oak in the middle of the fairway looked like it would have been fun to get around.

Shit, I almost can't wait to get back out and play so I can see those last few holes. Great course.

Keep you head still, swing easy to let the club do the work and only tell your wife every OTHER time you play.
    Tiger should have taken this advice.

Seriously, look at Rory, the kid never moves his head and straight up kills it - most repeatable swing in golf right now.
    I still call it The Jake.

[QUOTE=BmillsSkier;3631064]

Seriously, look at Rory, the kid never moves his head and straight up kills it - most repeatable swing in golf right now.

Biggest myth in golf .
    Start a 9:40 .
    almost every good player's head moves like this .

"Keep your head still" doesn't mean to be a statue. Like I said, Copy Els swing, not Charles Barkley. If you started playing as a 3 y o and have hit 1,000,000 balls like Rory, you can find your own grove. Tiger is totally fucked in mind, body and spirit. Thinking too much about your swing kills it.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Tiger should have taken this advice.

I have always thought Stricker's swing is one of the most repeatable, efficient, and powerful strokes out there- great swing for an amateur to model.

Rory's swing on the other hand is just a thing of beauty, a swing like that is repeatable only by him- hence his dominance.

spook Guest
    my head tends to move side to side -- i tend to move my hips back and then everything follows -- and then everything is screwed. i didn't mean be perfectly still, but still enough laterally that i can focus on the dimples on the ball. and not end up with all my weight on my back foot, resulting in the home run shot.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    my head tends to move side to side -- i tend to move my hips back and then everything follows -- and then everything is screwed. i didn't mean be perfectly still, but still enough laterally that i can focus on the dimples on the ball. and not end up with all my weight on my back foot, resulting in the home run shot.
    Drill: Feet together in single pivot platform, place ball directly between your toes, hit 5 irons. Feet together forces equal balance and steady hips.

If you end up on your back foot (Called "reverse pivot") it MIGHT be because you didn't shift your weight to the back foot in the back swing but rather kept your weight forward. I use a drill for that. As you swing back lift your front foot completely off the ground and move it toward your back foot so you don't fall down then step forward as you swing. If you look at the first two swings in the video you'll see what I mean. The guy, Jackie Gleason, was actually a pretty fair golfer.

Or get a how to book and have a friend help you.

Last edited by wooley12; 05-02-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Drill: Feet together in single pivot platform, place ball directly between your toes, hit 5 irons. Feet together forces equal balance and steady hips.

That's pretty much my preshot routine. When I get sloppy, I still end up on my back foot or rocking out backwards from the follow through. I also have a huge problem with trying to kill the ball on certain shots and end up topping them like a mother fucker. Getting quick in general is usually the problem.

I think the hardest thing is consistently keeping the fix going. As people that don't get to play on a daily basis, while it might be easy to identify flaws, it's nearly impossible to work enough to get over the muscle memory of doing the same shitty thing over and over starting out and that mindgame is what gets a lot of people.

Can't get out for the rest of the week or weekend because of finals and certification exams but I'm definitely playing Heritage at Westmoor Tuesday or Wednesday morning as long as the weather holds up. I'll even play in rain as long as it's not a crucial downpour.

Haven't made a tee time yet so still open on day/time. If any Denver area mags want in, let me know. $44 with cart if you register through www.golfwestminster.com. Takes about 30 seconds and totally worth it if you ever play Westmoor or Legacy.

^^^ love Heritage.... right by the house and if I can get some stuff done at work here going to walk 9 real quick this afternoon.

love to join you but out of town next week....

1st league night yesterday. WTF!! Who shrunk my clubs? Hit 3 good shots. Swing thought. "Put a basketball on a shelf behind me". Wife won't be home for another week. Things to do. Hmmmm? Mow the lawn or play golf?

Robert Trent Jones Sr.'s first design is about a mile away. Private so I can't play it. They stiffed him on the design fees so he went public. About 10 RTJ courses within an hour of here for a <$30 fee. Or should I play a Donald Ross design? $12 for 9. $18 for 18. My favorite.

http://www.durandeastmangolfclub.org/course1.html

About 10 RTJ courses within an hour of here for a <$30 fee. Or should I play a Donald Ross design?

The correct answer is play as many as you can before the wife gets back. Play 36 a couple days if you need to and can afford it.

Haven't played more than 18 in years. I miss those 27 and 36 hole grinds. Now that I'll have some time off in the next couple weeks, I'll have to get out for a few. There are worst ways to spend your day and $50.

I'm with you. Played 36-52- "almost" 36 once on an outing with the boys. On the 5th hole of the last round my partner wanted to play 3 holes at once* and sucked the joy out of it.

* "OK tee off the par 5 here, move over to the par 3, hit and tee off the par 4, jump back to the par 3 green, go hit second shot on the par 4...." Not fun. Thanks for the reality check. SS check hits in 5 days so I can play all I need. Fuck the lawn. Just sold the house anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    The correct answer is play as many as you can before the wife gets back. ....
    Good call @MotherFucker. Slammed down some lasagna the wife left so I wouldn't starve and headed for the course. A brief TR

Showed up and it was all quiet but I knew I had to beat the leagues out

Hooked up with "Paul" going off as a single on the 1st tee. He had a good swing, a better attitude and a paid for cart with a full cooler of Heineken.

The opening hole on a muni should always be a wide open one. My 1st par with a greenside up and down.

Saw some flora

And some fauna

Actually, the deer used to be so thick here I literally had to throw a club at them to move them out of the way for a shot. A year or two of selective bow hunting made them more polite.

A really nice reputedly Donal Ross muni for $12 to walk 9.

My only bad shot of the round was on the par 5 after relating to Paul the amazing 1 1/2 hour stop I had spent with the wife in the rain shelter on that hole during a July thunderstorm. I took a mulligan.

Tomorrow I'll get some work done. Gotta bring the boat trailer to the marina for some new axles.

^Nice dude. I've been meaning to get the camera out but I always forget.

Next time for sure. I dig golf TRs.

On a side note, I noticed Paul was wearing jeans. I don't know why, but I've never been able to bring myself to wear jeans on a golf couse. Shit, not even to the range. I think it might be from beginning on a course with a strict dress code but who knows.

Yo. A golf TR requires a simple camera, open course, partners with the right attitude and fuck the score.

So, Snickers and coffee for breakfast, Too much lasagna with Heineken for lunch. Now to chow down on a bowl of melon, banana and yogurt for dinner. Gotta eat balanced diet. 1/2 junk food. 1/2 health food. Washed down with my favorite adult beverage.

Fer sure. We're on our way 7/10 unless the sky falls. We'll rent 1st. Maple Valley? N. Bend? Cle Elum seems to have the sun and affordability we seek. We will bring the sticks for sure. And 500 balls to bang into the desert. I crave to play with those who laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    ^Nice dude. I've been meaning to get the camera out but I always forget.

Next time for sure. I dig golf TRs.

On a side note, I noticed Paul was wearing jeans. I don't know why, but I've never been able to bring myself to wear jeans on a golf couse.
    I was wearing hiking boots. Used to golf in a league at a public course that "the members" put in a "no jeans-no cargo pants" rule. Fuck them. I wore flannel plaid underpants with a thong on top one week. Next week was 1970's "show your nuts" Basket ball shorts. Private club? $50+ upscale links? Different story. Then I wear my Hickey Freeman pinstripe worsted wool golf cap.

Used to golf in a league at a public course that "the members" put in a "no jeans-no cargo pants" rule. Fuck them.
    Just to be clear.
    The league was a mixed league called "The Hackers" and most members were20+ handicappers out for a good time after work.
    The course was the "across the street" mudder, 2nd 18 stepchild of a public course.
    They closed the clubhouse on our side after we arrived so no drinks or bathroom. They did make sure that we hadn't brought our own beer.
    In mid July the greens were still full of aeration holes because they didn't bother to top dress them on our course.
    Our league members were pissed.
    So now you want a dress code?