Page 4 of 401 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Seeing as the best players in the world can't crack 70% for a full season, I would concur. Anyone have Mondays off in the Denver area? I might be looking to play in the afternoon tomorrow.
    Whatever. What is, is. Mickelson leads right now with 68.87% but I play easier courses, don't hit into the woods as much as he does and have been practicing my chipping longer than he's been alive. Helps if your misses always land just off the green. Enjoy your game.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

^^^Normally I let the geezers have their fantasy , since this is TGR I will waive this rule .
    So let me get this straight , you rarely hit it in the woods , misses are just off the green , hit 4-8 greens in regulation and get up and down 8 out of ten times . Yet you have a double digit handicap .
    You are either full of shit or have the oldtimers .
    But hey , with stats like that , a little practice and a sex change you'll be on tour in no time .

On reflection, 80% is sometimes. Closer to 50% is average. Some days I just suck. I probably should have been in the "Get drunk and post as much as you can" thread at the time. But the short game is the key. Did I ever tell you about the time I shot 69 after being 5 over going to the 6th? Should happen to everyone once in their life.

I did make the cover of a golf magazine once. I mean, literally "made" the cover.

Just back from a few days here: http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/cordevalle/

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Seeing as the best players in the world can't crack 70% for a full season, I would concur. Anyone have Mondays off in the Denver area? I might be looking to play in the afternoon tomorrow.

I'm playing Hyland South this afternoon at 4 then practicing chipping and putting before picking up the wife. It's just a little par 3 course. Shortest hole is 65 and the longest is 205. I'd say average is around 140. $7 if you feel like coming up.
    The best things in life aren't things.

second time out this year: stayed even through 9 yesterday!

which for me means I did not lose any balls during the round...pretty good right

i went out for the first time last week in AZ at troon. first time playing a desert course like that. you don't need a driver on most holes and of course i hit driver every time and took way too many drops. really hard to stick the greens there also. bump and run was the way. once i rolled over the green into a drainage. i'm about to walk down as i see my ball sitting there on the desert. so, i click my wedge against my putter to tell 'everything' i'm coming and a bobcat pops out from behind a bush and just looks at me. it was cool. i took another drop.

Going to renew my county card today. Hoping to play at least twice a week through the end of the season.

Hylands crew... if you got another spot for Tues... count me in. PM's sent

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Anyone buying this new Srixon campaign to bring back yellow balls? If one of my buddies shows up with those on the first tee I'm either going to refer to them as gramps the entire round or buying them some blu-blockers for them to wear that'll make finding that dumb ball a snap in the woods.
    I'm addicted to the XV tour yellow's - so I'd have to take your shit if we played...

I think it is a great ball off the tee that spins nice enough around the greens, and doesn't get too cut up like my last ball did(Nike One Tour). I do like ProVx too, but they don't come in yellow (yet)!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    Just back from a few days here: http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/cordevalle/
    My Dad is a member there now. I've played it a few times. Tough and tricky, but fun.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I'm addicted to the XV tour yellow's - so I'd have to take your shit if we played...

I think it is a great ball off the tee that spins nice enough around the greens, and doesn't get too cut up like my last ball did(Nike One Tour). I do like ProVx too, but they don't come in yellow (yet)!
    Mind you, all shit-giving would be in good nature and over several beers.

I don't know squat about the ball's playability, I just think it would come off as distracting, personally. If it plays for you, then stick with what works!

To quote Tin Cup:

Boone: "Is that little pink fag ball supposed to intimidate me?" Roy: "Well, not unless I knock it by you."
    I still call it The Jake.

Mofo ,
    I sent you some clubs today .
    Should arrive on Thursday .
    I had them sent to the office at your complex .
    Here's the deal you can not sell these clubs , if you don't like them , give them to someone .
    Taylormade Quad pro Driver , Mizuno hybrid , 50 , 54 , 60 degree volkey wedges .
    Shipping was $20
    Enjoy young man .

Mind you, all shit-giving would be in good nature and over several beers.

I don't know squat about the ball's playability, I just think it would come off as distracting, personally. If it plays for you, then stick with what works!
    I saw that the NXT Tour comes in yellow now too, so the ProV's can't be far behind!!!

... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I saw that the NXT Tour comes in yellow now too, so the ProV's can't be far behind!!!

That NXT Tour is my ball. Great, now I'll have to give em a shot.
    I still call it The Jake.

spook Guest
    two years ago i was playing early bird at rose city and played the front 9 okay and was trying to get to the back 9 before anybody got in front of me. i totally imploded on 10. obviously, i'm terrible, but this was exceptional even by my standards. had i been in the fairway, i'm sure they would have asked me to leave for destroying their manicure.

in any case, i was really mad after 10, went to 11 and hit 5 tee shots -- 3 in the exact same area of the trees and two others i topped and drove into the ground.

i went to the trees and hit at my balls a few times comically knocking them into trees and back at me. i could see the 10th tee box from where i was and there was still nobody there, so i picked everything up and ran over to start over. i played 10 better, but not great and then realized there was a single teeing off on 11 right as i was putting the flag back in. i yelled to him to see if i could join up and i'm pretty damn loud and there was no inkling that he heard me.

i grabbed my stuff and started to huff it to 11 to tee off before he got too far down the fairway, all the while yelling at him and asking if i could hit. he just kept walking. i finally put my bag down and now was getting more pissed than i already was. for fuck's sake,i thoujght, at least say no. don[t just ignore me. so i ran after him and got to about 10 feet coming from behind slightly to his left and yelled "hey, if you don't want to play, just say so." and then he saw me and let out this bizarre yelp and jumped a mile in the sky, as did i. he had to be 65 at least.

and he was deaf.

so i had a good laugh and felt super stupid as i have many times and we played together i hit my tee shot on the par 3 11 to 4 feet. it was quite an experience and we had a pleasant morning being equally frustrated and expressing it in our own particular ways.

+6 on South so you know I wasn't playing as bad as last Friday. Even though it's only a par 3, there's a few holes that require some precision. I'll take that all day.

Tomorrow is gonna be a fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Mofo ,
    I sent you some clubs today .
    Should arrive on Thursday .
    I had them sent to the office at your complex .
    Here's the deal you can not sell these clubs , if you don't like them , give them to someone .
    Taylormade Quad pro Driver , Mizuno hybrid , 50 , 54 , 60 degree volkey wedges .
    Shipping was $20
    Enjoy young man .

Fuck yeah, bud. I appreciate it more than you know. I'd never sell anything given to me from a mag; I always pay it forward.

Thanks brother. Expect a surprise from Colorado in the near future.

^^^ the wedges are something like 3 degrees flat , unless you're a short fuck like me ,
    you might want to find somebody with a loft and lie machine and have them setup for your height .

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    two years ago i was playing early bird at rose city and played the front 9 okay and was trying to get to the back 9 before anybody got in front of me. i totally imploded on 10. obviously, i'm terrible, but this was exceptional even by my standards. had i been in the fairway, i'm sure they would have asked me to leave for destroying their manicure.

in any case, i was really mad after 10, went to 11 and hit 5 tee shots -- 3 in the exact same area of the trees and two others i topped and drove into the ground.

i went to the trees and hit at my balls a few times comically knocking them into trees and back at me. i could see the 10th tee box from where i was and there was still nobody there, so i picked everything up and ran over to start over. i played 10 better, but not great and then realized there was a single teeing off on 11 right as i was putting the flag back in. i yelled to him to see if i could join up and i'm pretty damn loud and there was no inkling that he heard me.

i grabbed my stuff and started to huff it to 11 to tee off before he got too far down the fairway, all the while yelling at him and asking if i could hit. he just kept walking. i finally put my bag down and now was getting more pissed than i already was. for fuck's sake,i thoujght, at least say no. don[t just ignore me. so i ran after him and got to about 10 feet coming from behind slightly to his left and yelled "hey, if you don't want to play, just say so." and then he saw me and let out this bizarre yelp and jumped a mile in the sky, as did i. he had to be 65 at least.

and he was deaf.

so i had a good laugh and felt super stupid as i have many times and we played together i hit my tee shot on the par 3 11 to 4 feet. it was quite an experience and we had a pleasant morning being equally frustrated and expressing it in our own particular ways.
    What's nice about handicap golf is once you've reached your maximum strokes per hole just pick up. Saves time and aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    ^^^ the wedges are something like 3 degrees flat , unless you're a short fuck like me ,
    you might want to find somebody with a loft and lie machine and have them setup for your height .

Right on; thanks for the tip. I should be able to get them set up next Friday. I'll take the TaylorMade and Mizuno to the range this Friday and let you know how they hit.

Thanks again, man.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    What's nice about handicap golf is once you've reached your maximum strokes per hole just pick up. Saves time and aggravation.
    yeah, since i was alone i was trying to work some stuff out i would normally do on the driving range, but at that point, it wouldn't have mattered. i was toast mentally. in fact, the shock of realizing i'd been getting angry and yelling at a deaf guy who had no idea about any of it kind of grounded me and the rest of the day was much better.

in this, my second season, i've decided not to keep score for a while. it's made everything a lot more pleasant. i keep track of whether i'm making par, bogey in general, but i haven't kept track of my score for 18 or 9 and it takes a lot of pressure off. the other thing is, i'm just starting and it's really hard to get my head around the fact that par or better is what the best are playing for, so me playing for bogeys should be obvious and not detrimental to my psyche. but i have yet to totally internalize what that means in terms of shotmaking and course management. i keep expecting fairways and greens in regulation and as relaxed as i may be in the practice swings, i still try to kill it at the last moment instead of letting the club do the work.

lots to learn.

I've moved half way across the country since I last swung a club about 8 months ago. I was down to a 12 index last summer and dropping fast until a job opportunity rudely halted my quest for single digits.
    I was playing a gorgeous soft draw with my driver last summer, and could really play any shot on command with the irons.

I am now slicing my driver, definitely swinging over the top...but hitting my irons crisper than ever. Golf is definitely a fickle game, but damn if it isn't addicting.

Oh ya, I shanked my way through a large bucket of balls last Monday- literally shanked 90% of them with every club in the bag. I was a trainwreck mentally, as I had just come home from polluting my brain at Coachella.

Today, I was stroking- complete control of every club but the big dog. Just goes to show how mentally strong you have to be in order to hit an effective golf shot.

That NXT Tour is my ball. Great, now I'll have to give em a shot.
    hehe!

Well, I guess you'll "see" the difference soon then!

j/k - I don't buy any of that, I just like that they are different. I played crappy orange topflites back in high school. What can I say, I'm a rebel!

Your going about it the right way Spook. Not keeping score and having fun. Tell yourself "Bogies are my friend" on every tee. Here's a tip for your driver. Pick out a spot where you'd like the ball to land. You are picking a spot aren't you? Then aim and swing for a spot 20 yards closer. I must have heard 50 "longest drive I ever hit" stories and in almost every one the guy said "and I felt like I was hardly swinging". Els has the swing to emulate. God! I love the game.