Page 3 of 401 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    It was windy as fuck out there. Nutty day.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I'll work it out over the weekend.

I'm definitely walking 18 at Hyland Hills (96th and Sheridan) Tuesday at 8am sharp if anyone is down. I know it's kind of early, but I have a final at 2:15 that I absolutely cannot be late for.
    The best things in life aren't things.

spook Guest
    i played twilight last night in the drizzle and played well into dark. i started out horribly, topping my first four tee shots at the 11th (started on the back nine, was alone, which was great, until another single hit into me and so we were together to start the 11th and i let him go). spent a couple hours grinding and trying not to get frustrated, then it got dark. i like playing in the dark on occasion. it requires me to give up on the thoughts and just feel.

i played twilight two seasons ago with a 65+ year old guy and he was going to quit on 16 when it got dark and i urged him to keep going. we played 17 and 18 in the dark. 18 was a par 5 and he parred it. i bogeyed it after blowing my first putt. but we found each ball in the dark and had a blast. he was joyful. you could see it on his face. "i haven't done this since i was a kid."

but i digress. i like to keep going a hole or two after i can't see just to play by feel. and last night i got my second par of the night on the 8th in total darkness except for the glow of the driving range in the distance and some ambient light from the surrounding city. made an 8 foot putt for par. and then i promptly lost my ball on the tee shot on 9 coming home.

I walked The Ranch course at Diablo Grande today. Saw a huge corn snake and a Cormorant. Hit some great shots but i just don't have a scoring game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    I'll work it out over the weekend.

I'm definitely walking 18 at Hyland Hills (96th and Sheridan) Tuesday at 8am sharp if anyone is down. I know it's kind of early, but I have a final at 2:15 that I absolutely cannot be late for.
    In, i love Hyland hills. great old school type track with great greens. most everyone aerated their greens in the past 2 weeks.

8 on tuesday? We will be done in 3.5 unless some slow ladies, or slow douches are in front of us.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I walked The Ranch course at Diablo Grande today. Saw a huge corn snake and a Cormorant. Hit some great shots but i just don't have a scoring game right now.
    Scoring=Getting up and down. I practice hitting chips and lobs in the back yard 3 or 4 times a week for 15 minutes or so. Normally I only hit 4-8 GIR per round but get up & down 80% of the time.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

2nd round of the year yesterday. Nice. Might play today as well.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i played twilight last night in the drizzle and played well into dark. i started out horribly, topping my first four tee shots at the 11th (started on the back nine, was alone, which was great, until another single hit into me and so we were together to start the 11th and i let him go). spent a couple hours grinding and trying not to get frustrated, then it got dark. i like playing in the dark on occasion. it requires me to give up on the thoughts and just feel.

i played twilight two seasons ago with a 65+ year old guy and he was going to quit on 16 when it got dark and i urged him to keep going. we played 17 and 18 in the dark. 18 was a par 5 and he parred it. i bogeyed it after blowing my first putt. but we found each ball in the dark and had a blast. he was joyful. you could see it on his face. "i haven't done this since i was a kid."

but i digress. i like to keep going a hole or two after i can't see just to play by feel. and last night i got my second par of the night on the 8th in total darkness except for the glow of the driving range in the distance and some ambient light from the surrounding city. made an 8 foot putt for par. and then i promptly lost my ball on the tee shot on 9 coming home.

Great post. Some my best golf memories are from when I was just starting out and trying to squeeze nine in at the back end of the day. Being out there by yourself during dusk is pretty magical. The best is when one of the groundskeepers has to follow you around to pull pins.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    In, i love Hyland hills. great old school type track with great greens. most everyone aerated their greens in the past 2 weeks.

8 on tuesday? We will be done in 3.5 unless some slow ladies, or slow douches are in front of us.

Sweet. Lookin' foward to it. Hopefully I have the shanks worked out by then but I worked on the range yesterday and made progress. Honestly, I don't even think I can hit it as bad as I did at Riverdale again if I tried. Looked like a dude that definitely didn't deserve to be out there but who gives a fuck. It was still a fun day.

Just got on the course for my first time in 3 years, and my first time since I broke 5 vertebrae and a bunch of other bones. Was worried my back would hurt with all the twisting motion involved in the swing, but I shot an honest 41 (no gimmies, mulligans, etc...) which I am very happy with for my first time back. Even drove the green on a 330 yard par 4 (and scared the bejeesus out of the old farts on the green at the time). Feels great to get back out there. I think I deserve a new set of clubs...

9:15? 9?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

2 years ago I had the pleasure and mis fortune of playing against a 77 year old dude - he shot 78, whipping my ass and just missing shooting his age for the 13th time. Dude was a machine.

Oh yeah... www.golfnow.com. You can thank me later.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

11:45 start today. Going to mix a bloody here in a couple minutes. Yes, I don't take golf too seriously but do enjoy sunny, calm, 70 degree days with the dudes.

This seems like a decent place to put this. I want to start playing golf more seriously. A couple of my best friends growing up were golfers, and I would tag along. According to the people Ive played with Im a 'natural'. No consistency but can really crank out some nice shots before I get to hammered. I shot a 94 in a charity tourny once with borrowed clubs which I thought was pretty good. I can put well which I chalk up to my standard first date schtick of mini golf from high school. Im willing to put down the booze and get some skill at this point.

Problem for me is Ive always hung out with golfers when I do play, and they were the gear whorey types so I dont really have a handle on equipment. I do know I dont need as many high dollar woods as most people I hang with use. Who really uses a 7 wood? But I dont know shit either. I would think used clubs would be the way to go, can a used club 'wear out' like a snowboard with no pop?

Could I get a decent used set and a membership to a decent local club (aka a girl on a beer cart and at least somewhat green) for a grand or two? What clubs should I be looking at.

More specific to the Teton Valley mags, which bank failure course should I look at. As that ignorant newbie I assume they are all pretty similar, but that Huntsman Springs marketing makes it look nice, and probably still pricey.
    Live Free or Die

clubs can wear out, but you will see the wear. Buy used, start with basic designs (3 or 4 through Pitching wedge, Hybrid, 3 wood, driver some wedges and a basic design putter), make sure they are not too weak of shafts for your strength. Have a friend help that knows more in person. Craigslist rocks.
    Terje was right.

For someone such as yourself, I would recommend going into a shop with someone who knows about the gear. Reading about it on here probably won't help you much, especially since so much of the comfortablility with clubs comes from how they look at address... to you... and how they feel... to you. My recommendation for you, although useless, would be:
    Titleist 905 driver, or a Nike Square driver if you can stand the shape.
    Ping eye2 irons or Ping i3 O size irons (Pings tend to last forever if taken care of)
    Any putter where the line seems to show up to you naturally and you like the feel and shape.
    If you can pick up a couple used hybrids for your 2 iron/5 wood, 3, 4, and 5 iron, you'll be shooting in the 80's before you know it.

Sweet. Thanks

Do you guys have memberships or just pay greens fees as you go?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Sweet. Thanks

Do you guys have memberships or just pay greens fees as you go?
    If I could play 7 days a week, I would join somewhere. I get out 3-6 a week, but like to play many places, so no membership. Crunch the numbers in your area vs green fees.
    Terje was right.

Out here in Colorado there are lots of courses that were built in the past 10-15 years as it was booming and hard to find tee times. They overbuilt, and now aren't hurting, but it's a lot different. Now many of the courses have "memberships" like the one I just bought at Coal Creek off 36 for $100. You get 7 bucks off for you and one buddy every time you play, get discounts, one free round of golf, and another free round of golf on your 6th or so time in. I also bought their range punch card. Knocks the buckets down from 6 or $8 or something down to below $3.
    When I was employed I was considering joining Colorado National. They did a promotion for 10, 1 year memberships at $1500, + $125~ monthly dues for 6 months, which included unlimited range balls on a member's side of the range, carts, and unlimited green fees for the year. I would have played 9 holes almost every day. Oh well.

Das - Hyland at 9, now. Sorry for being a bitch. Red headed stranger at Mofucka's after?

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Out here in Colorado there are lots of courses that were built in the past 10-15 years as it was booming and hard to find tee times. They overbuilt, and now aren't hurting, but it's a lot different. Now many of the courses have "memberships" like the one I just bought at Coal Creek off 36 for $100. You get 7 bucks off for you and one buddy every time you play, get discounts, one free round of golf, and another free round of golf on your 6th or so time in. I also bought their range punch card. Knocks the buckets down from 6 or $8 or something down to below $3.
    When I was employed I was considering joining Colorado National. They did a promotion for 10, 1 year memberships at $1500, + $125~ monthly dues for 6 months, which included unlimited range balls on a member's side of the range, carts, and unlimited green fees for the year. I would have played 9 holes almost every day. Oh well.

Das - Hyland at 9, now. Sorry for being a bitch. Red headed stranger at Mofucka's after?
    In. I don't burn and play, but for sure after. Hyland is a fun test. 9 is fine, I can warm up more before.
    Terje was right.

"I would never join a club that would consider me as a member" - Groucho Marx. Variety is the spice of life. That said, If you want to brag about your score, play the same track over and over and over....... All the "private" clubs here are begging the public to come out and play for $25 a round with a cart.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    9:15? 9?
    In. I don't burn and play, but for sure after. Hyland is a fun test. 9 is fine, I can warm up more before.

Tee time made for Hyland at 9:50. My old lady wants to go in late tomorrow so I'm gonna drive her downtown.

If that doesn't work for anyone, let me know and I'll call to knock someone off the group.

Usually kicking it at my place afterwards would be cool but I'm leaving straight from the course to go to class. Last fucking week then I'm golfing and getting high/shitfaced five days a week before Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    but get up & down 80% of the time.
    I call bullshit .

Sounds good. See you guys there.

Nice post up there about the old man Spook. Twilight is probably my favorite time to play - especially on an empty course.

I've been pretty fortunate with the golf
    So far this year - I had a long golf weekend at Reynolds Plantation during Masters week and have been playing my home course on Hilton Head about every other weekend. I'd love to get more midweek golf in but life is just getting in the way.

Anyone buying this new Srixon campaign to bring back yellow balls? If one of my buddies shows up with those on the first tee I'm either going to refer to them as gramps the entire round or buying them some blu-blockers for them to wear that'll make finding that dumb ball a snap in the woods.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I call bullshit .
    Seeing as the best players in the world can't crack 70% for a full season, I would concur. Anyone have Mondays off in the Denver area? I might be looking to play in the afternoon tomorrow.