Page 331 of 401 FirstFirst ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,275 of 10019
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Did an A/B test with Mizuno MP-18 MMC and my MP-60s, and the MMCs seemed just fine. But, I’m so used to the softer feel of the MP-60s that I sent back the MMCs. Could use a little help in 4-6i part of bag, but great feel > forgiveness. Search continues...
    I payed a few rounds with the 60s and liked them. I see some nice sets on 2nd Swing. Who are you using for used clubs?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I payed a few rounds with the 60s and liked them. I see some nice sets on 2nd Swing. Who are you using for used clubs?
    I’ve been playing the MP-60s for about 10 years. Pretty “blade-like” but feel so good to hit that they stay in the bag. I guess if I cared more about my score instead of having fun, I’d use something more forgiving.

I ordered the MP-18 MMCs (5-PW) from GlobalGolf during a 20% off sale and they were $460 and looked like they’d been played 3 rounds.

Otherwise, I look at GolfWRX, 2nd Swing and good feedback sellers on eBay.

Out with the boy, back from the U for the Holly daze. 50° and patchy clouds. Didn't seem right to hit the slopes today.Name:  IMG_20191229_171835.jpeg
Views: 394
Size:  51.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I had to do S&T after having my right ACL replaced this year. I played 9 weeks after surgery, so I had 70% of my weight on my left left with an open feet and square shoulders to minimize any torque on the knee. I was amazed how much higher the ball flight was especially with my hybrid. That put me into a noticeable increase in my in to out swing path and the ball was really drawing , more than I was used to. Now that I'm healing up, old habits are coming back and I start swaying and not getting back on the left side, so I do an extreme S&T do straighten me out during a round
    Yeah, the sway was killing me too. Been to the range a couple more times since starting down this path. I’d say about 85% of my shots now have the divot after the ball rather than fat, so I’m pretty happy about that. But the ball flight is still pretty variable. Going to take time to groove this new swing.

Weather has been pretty mild, in the 60s & 70s, so I’ve been hitting the range pretty often trying to groove this new swing. Ha! It’s still total shit, except for the occasional perfect strike. Well, perfect for me, anyway, I’d love to have 90% of my shots do that. But, if I’m honest, it’s maybe 10% at this point. Not many fat shots at this point, but an awful lot of low screamers and topped shots.

Ah, well, maybe it’s time for a lesson. Or maybe I should take up a new sport. Hmm, skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Weather has been pretty mild, in the 60s & 70s, so I’ve been hitting the range pretty often trying to groove this new swing. Ha! It’s still total shit, except for the occasional perfect strike. Well, perfect for me, anyway, I’d love to have 90% of my shots do that. But, if I’m honest, it’s maybe 10% at this point. Not many fat shots at this point, but an awful lot of low screamers and topped shots.

Ah, well, maybe it’s time for a lesson. Or maybe I should take up a new sport. Hmm, skiing?
    YouTube. Wisdom in golf Shawn Clement.

https://youtu.be/8Ud-_tdT77Q
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

That guy gave me vertigo just listening at the beginning.

Way I was told was

Take dead aim

Keep you're eye on the ball

Swing easy and let the club head do the work

And If you're married, only tell your wife you played, every other time you play.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    YouTube. Wisdom in golf Shawn Clement.

https://youtu.be/8Ud-_tdT77Q
    I like Shawn. I’ve watched a bunch of his videos in the past. That’s an interesting swing thought, “release it out there”. I’ll try to remember that next time I have a practice session. Unfortunately, the good weather has become scarce lately, and I find myself chained to a desk most of the week again these days.

I had a minor breakthrough resulting from some other videos I happened upon, one of them involving maintaining balance during a one-legged swing drill. That is showing promise, but need quite a bit more practice time to see if it actually makes the change I need.

Wooley, I used to worship at the altar of Harvey, but “take dead aim” did nothing to fix my swing, and it definitely needs fixing. Helped my scoring, sure. But right now I’m in Ranger Rick mode. I don’t really want to play with a screwed up swing.

Having a driving range with tight lies and sandy soil really forces the issue, and makes it impossible to ignore fat shots. Mats never again!

IME

There is no 1 tip that will find swing.

1 tip that works, will work until it does't

All swing tips are good. I've probably practiced 1000 keying on one or two at each session. How to practice tips are good.

My swing left for the last two years. My chipping skills allowed me to post mediocre scores and look good. I had a smooth well timed swing on the mats but couldn't take it across the street to the 1st tee. I found it again by watching a video of me Then playing about 72 holes of 6 iron with two balls. I was flushing it. My swing thoughts were slow balanced back swing that FELT to me like a 3/4 swing because I was overswinging and ruining the tension connection of my left glute to my left shoulder. But that's what is working for me.

"Take dead aim" is so your brain can naturally connect your eyes to you muscles. Like you do when you toss someone your car keys.

Without seeing your grip, stance and swing I'd guess the fat shots are from a bakcswing that is either too long or too quick in milliseconds. Results in an off balance swing that causes fat and thin shots. I see that a lot in all the 18+ HCappers.

I played a few times with Skitobe when he was just starting the game. Whenever h hit a truly horrible fat or thin shot he'd drop the club and do 100 pushups. He's about a 10hc now. Maybe try that?

Anyway, my days of shooting " I don't care" 82's and 83's are over. Need to shoot a 71 this summer. Or a par 72 after 7/2. I have mapped out a plan. 1- Cataract surgery. 2- Get a set of clubs that were made in this century. 3- practice putting more than any other part of the game. 4- Play the same course all summer. I think I can do this.

You sound like a good player, Wooley. Glad your approach works for you.

Just for reference, what is your home course that you are shooting these 72s at? And which tees?

Didn't say I was good. Said I play a mediocre game and look good doing it. I'm shooting low 80's. Goal is to shoot low 70's. I shot the age i am now, once, but I was 46 when I did it. 39-31 for a 70. It was an exiting round for a 12HC. Otoh, I had a 2 over 72 with 16 two putt pars and two bogies. I recall it as boring.

The easing of the rules makes shooting your age a lot easier. You can combine 9's. New tech will let me reach 2 of the par 5's in 2. 6000 yd course I play 9 at 2 or 3 times a seek. The course setup fits my game. I think I have a shot. Having a goal is good.
    Last edited by wooley12; 01-29-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Those scores mean nothing to me without knowing what course. I can look up slope/rating once I know that.

When I played regularly in California, I used to regularly break par for 9 holes, but I’m not particularly proud of that because it was a short 9 hole course in Scott’s Valley that I played all the time because it was convenient and cheap.

The best score I ever shot on a “real” course was an 82 at Sunnyvale. But that was when I was playing semi-regularly.

So, basically, I suck, and freely admit it. I managed to fix my over the top slice. Now I just need to fix this hitting fat thing, while still making consistent good ball striking.

What I like about the stack and tilt approach is it is all geared towards getting the divot in the right place. It’s all about low point control, and simplifying the swing to achieve that, without having to make a huge athletic move that’s hard for a guy my age to do consistently.

Truth be told, I like match play best. More strategy and involved. 4 ball is my favorite format. The course targeted for my shot your age challenge is 6000 yd 69.3 and 120. Not flat and 3 greens run front to back. 120 par 3 has a 40' tree you have to go over if the tees are set on the left. 1 par 5 green is 5 paces deep, slopes front to back into a hazard. It's got some tricks.

I was playing with a good golfer and another guy in the foresome was hitting it fat and asked the 9HC what he saw that he was doing wrong. "We'll" the 9 said "The one thing I see for sure, is that you're standing too close to the ball after you hit it." The 9 was my dad.

If you average three or less strokes above your age, there is a near certainty you'll shoot your age once in a 40-round year. Six strokes above your age, it's about a 50 percent chance, and at more than nine strokes, it is essentially zero: 3 strokes – 100 percent, 6 – 50 percent, 9+ – 0 percent.

Pretty sure I can beat the odds.

Any two nine-hole scores can make up an 18-hole score. They do not have to be played on the same course or the same set of tees. For example, you can play the Green front nine at Bandon Dunes one day, and play the Resort back nine at Kapalua Bay the next day for a combined 18-hole round.
    Last edited by wooley12; 01-31-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Truth be told, I like match play best. More strategy and involved. 4 ball is my favorite format. The course targeted for my shot your age challenge is 6000 yd 69.3 and 120. Not flat and 3 greens run front to back. 120 par 3 has a 40' tree you have to go over if the tees are set on the left. 1 par 5 green is 5 paces deep, slopes front to back into a hazard. It's got some tricks.
    Sounds like an interesting course, what’s the name of it? I might want to play there sometime. I feel the need to make a trek back to the PNW sometime in the next year or so.

The weather was great this weekend, and I managed to get a couple good sessions in at the driving range. Definitely seeing progress, although there is still room for improvement.

Mt Si. It's got nice views and great customer service. It's fenced in to keep the elk herd across the street off the greens. And everybody knows me. Tell any of the pros or waitress I sent you. Better, send me a pm if you are ever here and we'll play a match.
    '

68.2/115/6008 from the whites. Yeah, that’s a legitimate course, and similar to the muni courses I usually play myself. If you shoot in the 70s on that course, you are in the top 5% of golfers, assuming you play by the rules.

That does look like a course I’d like to play sometime.

Edit: or was it 69.2/117/6200+ from the blues? Either way, a good score.

I never met a course that I didn't like playing on. I've enjoyed some classic private clubs like Bay Hill and Oak Hill. I played a private 9 holer at the end of a dirt road that had a shed and no clubhouse. My all time favorite is Durand Eastman. Robert Trent Jones Sr design. NE hill and dale track with raised tees and raised multi tiered greens. $16 for 18 holes walking. $30 to take a cart. But I grew up playing it so I'm biased.

Here's a practice tip a pro gave me when I took a lesson. I hit 1/2 bucket with my 135yd 9 iron. Except I try to hit some 100yds, some 120yds and then some 140 yds. Develops a "Feel" and tempo.

That was a few decades ago and the pro also told me my backswing was too quick. I'm still working on that and if I ever get that nailed I'll take another lesson.

Well the skiing here in Sunny California has been well.. Sunny. That has made playing golf at lower elevations possible. Pulled the trigger on these bad mama jammas. Absolutely love the ball flight with the C Taper Lites - Piercing! 2 rounds with them and I am in LOVE!

Name:  919HMP.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  31.8 KB
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

How "Hot" are they compared a regular solid iron?

Interesting stats on distance IRL

https://www.golf.com/news/2020/02/04...olf-ball-2019/

Im quite interested in those. I need to update my clubs. Everything is a good 10 to 15 years old

I've owned 3 sets over 60 years. I'm shopping for a used set made this century. A "hot" iron would ruin my game at this point.

But my game isn't your game so there's that.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

A "hot" or distance iron does in fact improve distance. However, they decrease the consistency of distance.

Doesn't matter if you suck, but if you can strike a ball they can hurt your game

Ex...my full 9 is 155..lets say 153-157.

If I used a hot or distance 9i it would be roughly 165-175. Fuck that
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Does Chili still have a shop full of used clubs?