Page 321 of 326 FirstFirst ... 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 8142
    Meh, I've played a lot of scramble golf; just over it. It's a zoo. Handicap golf is ok but it's kinda like getting a participation trophy. Anyone can win and results are mostly random. It's good for people that have never won anything.

I played in a scratch league a couple years ago against Div 1 college players and got my ass kicked. But you know what? It was great. Real competition. I miss that.

Seems it's always the single digit HCpers that want to play me with stroke play and odds in their favor. Luck was designed into the original game and now it's called foul. And what is with drivers that come with tool kits!!!
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

PSA...shipsticks aint cheap but damn its nice to not have to lug your clubs around the airport. Pretty convenient, just show up to the clubhouse and your bag is waiting for you.

TR from Streamsong coming next weekend

i want to get a handicap some day so i can enter some "competitive" fun, but as far as i'm concerned my actual score is my actual score and a handicapped score is silly. i'll get beat all the time but it will be fun i hope.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

Hcp golf sucks for a low handicapper. The formula is broken

Ex...a 17 hcp can have a great day and shoot 82 for net -7.

I have to shoot -2 gross to beat that...which is way more unlikely than his 82

There needs to be a delta correction factor. Without it odds are always against me unless I'm playing someone who's within a few hcp strokes of me.

I play in hcp events for the party. Stroke or match play events that mean anything to me are all scratch. One exception to the rule is a big scramble I play in with BIG money and prizes. You have to have min 15 hcp team. There's about 3 teams that have 3 players at scratch to 5 hcp and a 4th that gets the team to 15.

We've been top 3 every year. The real money is in the skins so doesn't matter if you win but have to be top team to get enough eagles and birdies to get a skin. Usually about 5k in skins

I donated my buy-in for tourney I just finished. Last place with one skin over 3 days. We had lowest hcp but still didn't deserve anything. Bruuutal ball striking my first two days...felt fine yesterday.
    Last edited by booner; 07-28-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post

There needs to be a delta correction factor. Without it odds are always against me unless I'm playing someone who's within a few hcp strokes of me.
    I agree with something like that for most events. Flights.: 0-6 6-12 etc. Iím ok with a 3-6 shot delta as it implies some randomness but not too much.

Equipment designed to make the ball go longer and straighter with inconsistent swings certainly has made the high handicapper play tee to green better. The only time I've won money in the 4ball matches was when I got teamed up with a 27 who parred the #1 hole for a net 2. OTOH as a 12, playing a mano a mano money match with 7- 16's is a fair test of skill and luck.

Hcp golf sucks for a low handicapper. The formula is broken

Ex...a 17 hcp can have a great day and shoot 82 for net -7.

I have to shoot -2 gross to beat that...which is way more unlikely than his 82

I play in hcp events for the party. Stroke or match play events that mean anything to me are all scratch. One exception to the rule is a big scramble I play in with BIG money and prizes. You have to have min 15 hcp team. There's about 3 teams that have 3 players at scratch to 5 hcp and a 4th that gets the team to 15.

We've been top 3 every year. The real money is in the skins so doesn't matter if you win but have to be top team to get enough eagles and birdies to get a skin. Usually about 5k in skins

I donated my buy-in for tourney I just finished. Last place with one skin over 3 days. We had lowest hcp but still didn't deserve anything. Bruuutal ball striking my first two days...felt fine yesterday.
    A 17 HC shoots an 82, lol...a 17 HC may shoot a 90 on a good day

HC's behave differently with stroke play and match IMO.

Stroke play. Have at it.

http://www.popeofslope.com/sandbagging/odds.html

So let's say an 11 HC played a par 70 course with a course rating of 70 and a slope of 123. What are the odds of the golfer shooting par?
    Last edited by wooley12; 07-28-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    A 17 HC shoots an 82, lol...a 17 HC may shoot a 90 on a good day
    Happens all the time with older players that used to be single digit when they were younger

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Hey! I resemble that remark. I do know geezer who was a single HC and now is a 16 at age 80. Shoots 41 or 42 but never 39.

Shot an 86 at Peacock Gap yesterday. Shoulda been around 82 but missed a handful of short ones. Fun time out there. We should get a group in the North Bay and play...

Iíve been a 1-5 handicap for many years. Itís no manís land- almost no chance of winning an event.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

home at 2am...first out

Attachment 289619

Sometimes I wish this game was a little friendlier to the mind, but I do love the constant challenge. Last 2 rounds started pitifully (Like +7 through 3 holes, even with warm ups) but shot lights out yesterday. Shot an 82. Missed 2 -inside 3 footers that were straight putts that shouldn't have missed, 38 putts total so not a good day overall with the flat stick. Only played 2 bad holes (triples) one of them was the par 5 18th hole that I scored an 8 on. Almost had another round under 80. Biggest take-away I have had this season is to not fret when scoring a bogey, keeping to a pre-shot routine for every shot, and focusing on distance control over pins on approach shots. Coulda woulda shoulda laid up on 18 instead of going for HERO status. Had I known where my score was on 18 I probably would have laid up and tried for a par. 3 birds on the card.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

So it would seem that you don't need to get any better, you need to get less bad. 2 triples to an 82. Two bogies to a 78.

Thanks for the suggestions and offers above on used gear, instruction and just the congrats. We won't bother joining the course until after the house is done, so I won't know of any potential maggot benefits for awhile. Rest assured that I will share if possible.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

my old golf buddy was in town yesterday and today. we see each other once a year now if we're lucky. my back and neck are jacked right now but i had to try.

41-45:86

best round ever by 3 strokes.

Out of nowhere got to play Winged Foot in the evening.
    Only 10 holes but what a track it was!

West (championship) Course 18th green.
    Fairways are fairly easy but the greens are ridiculously hard!

肉豆蔻崔

No push carts? Caddy or carry? Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, no carts, no push carts.
    Caddy or carry only.
    You either have to be really old or physically in need to ride or push.
    肉豆蔻崔

That's awesome.

I love walking/carrying but I don't do it much anymore

Showed up to home course the other day and it was shutdown at 6pm after big tourney.

Walked 9 and was the only person on the course...pretty nice

HC's need an adjustment. Played against a 10HC last night in the 4balls who shot 1 under on our 3000 yd course. 60 y o guy who drove the ball to <100 on every par 4 hole. 260+ off the tee. No wonder his wedge play was solid. When I was a longish hitter with wood/balata I was driving 220-240. After the round I mentioned about my clubs being so old that I've worn the groves off of my irons and since he wasn't needing his 8-5 irons he might sell them to me cheap.

Had a moment of glory last night...first round of the playoffs in our league

Came into 18 up 1...long par 5. My partner and one of our opponents were playing for bogey by the time we were near the green.

I'm laying 2 at 57 yds with good angle...opponent laying 2 at 20 yds and perfect angle.

I hit to 15 ft....he hits it to 1 ft

Drained the downhill slider, backdoor on high side to seal the victory. Rode off in the sunset and crushed vodka wedges on the clubhouse patio all night

Had a moment of glory last night...first round of the playoffs in our league

Came into 18 up 1...long par 5. My partner and one of our opponents were playing for bogey by the time we were near the green.

I'm laying 2 at 57 yds with good angle...opponent laying 2 at 20 yds and perfect angle.

I hit to 15 ft....he hits it to 1 ft

Drained the downhill slider, backdoor on high side to seal the victory. Rode off in the sunset and crushed vodka wedges on the clubhouse patio all night
    i've heard of gap wedges, sand wedges and lob wedges, but what's a vodka wedge?

nice putt!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's