Page 321 of 326 FirstFirst ... 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 8142
  1. #8001
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,832
    Meh, I've played a lot of scramble golf; just over it. It's a zoo. Handicap golf is ok but it's kinda like getting a participation trophy. Anyone can win and results are mostly random. It's good for people that have never won anything.

    I played in a scratch league a couple years ago against Div 1 college players and got my ass kicked. But you know what? It was great. Real competition. I miss that.

  2. #8002
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    11,247
    Seems it's always the single digit HCpers that want to play me with stroke play and odds in their favor. Luck was designed into the original game and now it's called foul. And what is with drivers that come with tool kits!!!
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  3. #8003
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Presidio
    Posts
    1,384
    PSA...shipsticks aint cheap but damn its nice to not have to lug your clubs around the airport. Pretty convenient, just show up to the clubhouse and your bag is waiting for you.

    TR from Streamsong coming next weekend

  4. #8004
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    i want to get a handicap some day so i can enter some "competitive" fun, but as far as i'm concerned my actual score is my actual score and a handicapped score is silly. i'll get beat all the time but it will be fun i hope.

  5. #8005
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    5,806

    Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

    Hcp golf sucks for a low handicapper. The formula is broken

    Ex...a 17 hcp can have a great day and shoot 82 for net -7.

    I have to shoot -2 gross to beat that...which is way more unlikely than his 82

    There needs to be a delta correction factor. Without it odds are always against me unless I'm playing someone who's within a few hcp strokes of me.

    I play in hcp events for the party. Stroke or match play events that mean anything to me are all scratch. One exception to the rule is a big scramble I play in with BIG money and prizes. You have to have min 15 hcp team. There's about 3 teams that have 3 players at scratch to 5 hcp and a 4th that gets the team to 15.

    We've been top 3 every year. The real money is in the skins so doesn't matter if you win but have to be top team to get enough eagles and birdies to get a skin. Usually about 5k in skins

    I donated my buy-in for tourney I just finished. Last place with one skin over 3 days. We had lowest hcp but still didn't deserve anything. Bruuutal ball striking my first two days...felt fine yesterday.
    Last edited by booner; 07-28-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

    BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

  6. #8006
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,832
    Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post



    There needs to be a delta correction factor. Without it odds are always against me unless I'm playing someone who's within a few hcp strokes of me.
    I agree with something like that for most events. Flights.: 0-6 6-12 etc. Iím ok with a 3-6 shot delta as it implies some randomness but not too much.

  7. #8007
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    11,247
    Equipment designed to make the ball go longer and straighter with inconsistent swings certainly has made the high handicapper play tee to green better. The only time I've won money in the 4ball matches was when I got teamed up with a 27 who parred the #1 hole for a net 2. OTOH as a 12, playing a mano a mano money match with 7- 16's is a fair test of skill and luck.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  8. #8008
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Hcp golf sucks for a low handicapper. The formula is broken

    Ex...a 17 hcp can have a great day and shoot 82 for net -7.

    I have to shoot -2 gross to beat that...which is way more unlikely than his 82

    There needs to be a delta correction factor. Without it odds are always against me unless I'm playing someone who's within a few hcp strokes of me.

    I play in hcp events for the party. Stroke or match play events that mean anything to me are all scratch. One exception to the rule is a big scramble I play in with BIG money and prizes. You have to have min 15 hcp team. There's about 3 teams that have 3 players at scratch to 5 hcp and a 4th that gets the team to 15.

    We've been top 3 every year. The real money is in the skins so doesn't matter if you win but have to be top team to get enough eagles and birdies to get a skin. Usually about 5k in skins

    I donated my buy-in for tourney I just finished. Last place with one skin over 3 days. We had lowest hcp but still didn't deserve anything. Bruuutal ball striking my first two days...felt fine yesterday.
    A 17 HC shoots an 82, lol...a 17 HC may shoot a 90 on a good day

  9. #8009
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    11,247
    HC's behave differently with stroke play and match IMO.

    Stroke play. Have at it.

    http://www.popeofslope.com/sandbagging/odds.html

    So let's say an 11 HC played a par 70 course with a course rating of 70 and a slope of 123. What are the odds of the golfer shooting par?
    Last edited by wooley12; 07-28-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  10. #8010
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    5,806
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    A 17 HC shoots an 82, lol...a 17 HC may shoot a 90 on a good day
    Happens all the time with older players that used to be single digit when they were younger
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

    BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

  11. #8011
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    11,247
    Hey! I resemble that remark. I do know geezer who was a single HC and now is a 16 at age 80. Shoots 41 or 42 but never 39.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  12. #8012
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,007
    Shot an 86 at Peacock Gap yesterday. Shoulda been around 82 but missed a handful of short ones. Fun time out there. We should get a group in the North Bay and play...

  13. #8013
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,073
    Iíve been a 1-5 handicap for many years. Itís no manís land- almost no chance of winning an event.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  14. #8014
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    home at 2am...first out

    Attachment 289619

  15. #8015
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mountains, Trees, and a Big Blue Lake
    Posts
    255
    Sometimes I wish this game was a little friendlier to the mind, but I do love the constant challenge. Last 2 rounds started pitifully (Like +7 through 3 holes, even with warm ups) but shot lights out yesterday. Shot an 82. Missed 2 -inside 3 footers that were straight putts that shouldn't have missed, 38 putts total so not a good day overall with the flat stick. Only played 2 bad holes (triples) one of them was the par 5 18th hole that I scored an 8 on. Almost had another round under 80. Biggest take-away I have had this season is to not fret when scoring a bogey, keeping to a pre-shot routine for every shot, and focusing on distance control over pins on approach shots. Coulda woulda shoulda laid up on 18 instead of going for HERO status. Had I known where my score was on 18 I probably would have laid up and tried for a par. 3 birds on the card.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

  16. #8016
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    11,247
    So it would seem that you don't need to get any better, you need to get less bad. 2 triples to an 82. Two bogies to a 78.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  17. #8017
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    431
    Thanks for the suggestions and offers above on used gear, instruction and just the congrats. We won't bother joining the course until after the house is done, so I won't know of any potential maggot benefits for awhile. Rest assured that I will share if possible.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  18. #8018
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    my old golf buddy was in town yesterday and today. we see each other once a year now if we're lucky. my back and neck are jacked right now but i had to try.

    41-45:86

    best round ever by 3 strokes.

  19. #8019
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,727
    Out of nowhere got to play Winged Foot in the evening.
    Only 10 holes but what a track it was!



















    West (championship) Course 18th green.
    Fairways are fairly easy but the greens are ridiculously hard!

    肉豆蔻崔

  20. #8020
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,832
    No push carts? Caddy or carry? Nice!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #8021
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    3,727

    Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

    Yeah, no carts, no push carts.
    Caddy or carry only.
    You either have to be really old or physically in need to ride or push.
    肉豆蔻崔

  22. #8022
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    5,806

    Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

    That's awesome.

    I love walking/carrying but I don't do it much anymore

    Showed up to home course the other day and it was shutdown at 6pm after big tourney.

    Walked 9 and was the only person on the course...pretty nice
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

    BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

  23. #8023
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    11,247
    HC's need an adjustment. Played against a 10HC last night in the 4balls who shot 1 under on our 3000 yd course. 60 y o guy who drove the ball to <100 on every par 4 hole. 260+ off the tee. No wonder his wedge play was solid. When I was a longish hitter with wood/balata I was driving 220-240. After the round I mentioned about my clubs being so old that I've worn the groves off of my irons and since he wasn't needing his 8-5 irons he might sell them to me cheap.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  24. #8024
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    5,806
    Had a moment of glory last night...first round of the playoffs in our league

    Came into 18 up 1...long par 5. My partner and one of our opponents were playing for bogey by the time we were near the green.

    I'm laying 2 at 57 yds with good angle...opponent laying 2 at 20 yds and perfect angle.

    I hit to 15 ft....he hits it to 1 ft

    Drained the downhill slider, backdoor on high side to seal the victory. Rode off in the sunset and crushed vodka wedges on the clubhouse patio all night
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

    BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

  25. #8025
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Had a moment of glory last night...first round of the playoffs in our league

    Came into 18 up 1...long par 5. My partner and one of our opponents were playing for bogey by the time we were near the green.

    I'm laying 2 at 57 yds with good angle...opponent laying 2 at 20 yds and perfect angle.

    I hit to 15 ft....he hits it to 1 ft

    Drained the downhill slider, backdoor on high side to seal the victory. Rode off in the sunset and crushed vodka wedges on the clubhouse patio all night
    i've heard of gap wedges, sand wedges and lob wedges, but what's a vodka wedge?

    nice putt!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •