Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old School Drinks

I'm on a mission to try drinks from days past. I'm undecided on whether my interest in old drinks is to assert an unconscious aire of smugness over the bars visited. The Ramos Fizz, Pisco Sour, Aviation, and Grasshopper are on the most recent list of imbibitions. Up next is the Singapore Sling, Ward Eight, and French 75. What'ya got?

Where are you? The pre-prohibition movement for cocktails has been on for a while in a lot of cities, I may be able to make some recs for you on where to find some good drinks depending on where you are.

To the op question: I'll never turn down a well made old fashioned.
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Sidecar is a classic. For a book of classic cocktails acquire the gentlemans companion. If you pick a favorite liquor I'll scan some recipes and post em mañana

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Where are you? The pre-prohibition movement for cocktails has been on for a while in a lot of cities, I may be able to make some recs for you on where to find some good drinks depending on where you are.

To the op question: I'll never turn down a well made old fashioned.
    They are mostly prohibition and later cocktails I've encountered. True Pre prohibition often have cream and or egg which make dumb bitches in manolos Blanche

Ha! True Hugh.

The PDT cocktail book is probably the best I've come across for good recipies. That or the Trailerpark Happiness cocktail book.

Enjoy!
    I still call it The Jake.

Tequila sunrise.

Black Russian.

A Manhattan

Slo gin fizz

7 & 7

Tanquery and Tonic....

make mine a tom collins.

Harvey Wallbanger

bad drink, great name (in truth i haven't had one, but Galiano? not sure about that stuff)

Gimlet. Named after a boring tool and packs a hell of a punch. Chicks love to hear all about boring tools.

screwdrivers work good

It was always a Highball in my family. Simple.

Or try the mythical Rum Cannonball.

The Cuba Libre is an old drink from ~1900.

Rock n' Rye is an old drink as well, but is just doctored Rye Whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Where are you? The pre-prohibition movement for cocktails has been on for a while in a lot of cities, I may be able to make some recs for you on where to find some good drinks depending on where you are. To the op question: I'll never turn down a well made old fashioned.
    Boston. I know a few good bars but am always interested in trying others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Sidecar is a classic. For a book of classic cocktails acquire the gentlemans companion. If you pick a favorite liquor I'll scan some recipes and post em mañana They are mostly prohibition and later cocktails I've encountered. True Pre prohibition often have cream and or egg which make dumb bitches in manolos Blanche
    I probably order gin and rum drinks most often, but I'm up for about anything.

Martini, old fashioned, whiskey sours, Rob Roy, shot and a beer, depth charge, and boiler makers. My grandads drinks of choice
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The Cuba Libre is an old drink from ~1900. Rock n' Rye is an old drink as well, but is just doctored Rye Whiskey.
    Not a big fan of the Cuba Libre but there's a variation that uses maraschino liqueur that sounds interesting.

If you like gin, the Negroni is a solid drink to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Harvey Wallbanger

bad drink, great name (in truth i haven't had one, but Galiano? not sure about that stuff)
    Beat me to it. That was a biggie in the late 70's when I hit legality in Wisconsin.

15 flavors at the Chancery baby. Back then, drunk driving was a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Boston. I know a few good bars but am always interested in trying others.
    Obvious ones... Eastern Standard, The Hawthorne, Drink, Clio, Franklin Cafe, Rendezvous, Backbar, Brick and Mortar.

Huh - who knew?
    The Harvey Wallbanger is reported to have been invented in 1952 by three-time world champion mixologist Donato 'Duke' Antone (Paolantonio), the brother-in-law of New York state Senator Carlo Lanzillotti.[citation needed] The Harvey Wallbanger was brought to international prominence by then Galliano salesman, George Bednar.[1] ... Among Duke's other cocktail creations were the Rusty Nail, the Flaming Caesar, the White Russian, the Freddie Fudpucker, and the Godfather.

see above, but add ciitzen (yawkey and boyston), minibar, bordello room at storyville, # 9 park, Trina's starlite lounge, and local 149. Obviously, it is more the bartender than the bar, but the list above along with the post that starts with ES is a good starting point. I'm spoiled because I live with two of the more well known high end bartenders in boston, so I enjoy a lot of really good drinks.

Best advice I can give, walk into the bordello room at storyville or minibar upstairs when Bill (bordello) or ryan (bordello / minibar) are working and not super slammed, so wed or thursday earlier in the evening, and just tell them you are looking to try some old cocktails, you'll be well taken care of.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

http://12bottlebar.com/

Some good some not so good but lots of "classics" built on their 12 bottles.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Moscow mule? A great 50's drink served in a copper mug. I'm partial to the Kentucky Mule.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Minibar at Copley Square? I was just there Friday. Nice outside seating area. Didn't know they had an upstairs. Eastern Standard has the best bar and staff I've experienced, but game days can make the place hard to get into. Trina's and Green Street are both supposed to have a nice bar setup.

Citizens is the best place in the area if you're eating and like oysters and/or whiskey.

About as old-school as it gets: The Mint Julep.
    Last edited by Tippster; 04-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I'm on a mission to try drinks from days past. I'm undecided on whether my interest in old drinks is to assert an unconscious aire of smugness over the bars visited. The Ramos Fizz, Pisco Sour, Aviation, and Grasshopper are on the most recent list of imbibitions. Up next is the Singapore Sling, Ward Eight, and French 75. What'ya got?
    Jeepers....I've never heard of ANY of those drinks except for the "Grasshopper"...which I do love.

How 'bout an old-fashioned winter drink: a 'hot toddy'?

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."