Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    arcata
    Posts
    1,265
    THanks for all the responces. I live on the coast in humbolt County. I am in the forest constanty and that means wet muddy woods. i love it but it beats the crap out of my hiking boots and my feet.

    thanks for clearing up the fact that the white's are a better boot material wise. i figured it was something like that.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    arcata
    Posts
    1,265
    ^^(White's better than hawthorns)
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,943
    What are you, an idiot?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    arcata
    Posts
    1,265
    pretty much, but really bad at buying boots.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Suckramento
    Posts
    19,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Both Redwing and Thoroghgood are US-made and both make wildland firefighting style boots. I believe that both can be purchased for significantly less than White's/Westco's, but I can tell you with certainty that the Thorogoods aren't up to the standards of those two manufacturers. Redwing, however, may be a reasonable compromise, just look into their US-made line and not the Chink stuff. Danner also has both US and Chink boots; their US stuff may last you a season or two.

    Anywho, there are experts here. Heed their wisdom. PM them with copious questions and allow their substantive responses to set you free....

    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.


  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    arcata
    Posts
    1,265
    Well I figured I would follow up. Found a boot store and was able to try most of these selectons on, and the lady that was helping me was great.

    I tried on a pair of whites that were pretty dang nice.

    Tried on a pair of Westco Jobmasters That were too small in a ten, to big in an eleven and the 10.5 was great but they only had it in the wide.

    I am sure that either of those would have been great boots, but would would have rather bought the westcos. She called wesco and they said it would be till June because they were on back order.

    Looked over saw a pair or Danner Super Rainforest. Looked nice tried them on they felt great.

    Now I own them.

    i am sure that I would have gotten used to the heel on those the whites and westcos, but the Danner heal is not as high.

    I am freaking stoked.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,943
    Nice. Sounds like a good store.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Whistler/Niseko
    Posts
    1,646
    Wish I would have seen this earlier (i literally ordered mine 3 days ago), although it wouldnt have changed my mind I guess, since I got me some Whites Smoke Jumpers.
    I tried ordering these http://www.bakershoe.com/shop-by-act...ots-by-whites/ which are a lil cheaper, but they had to be specially made.
    Does anyone have any beta on the Bakers? my buddy still needs a pair and they have them in his size.

    Humboldt Co. eh? Ill be stationed up in Anderson soon. . .

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,217
    Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Unless something changes, Wesco is not made by Whites. I used to drive to the wesco factory to get rebuilds.
    You're right. My bad. I was thinking of the older lines that whites used to have and wesco was not one of them.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using TGR Forums
    Living vicariously through myself.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,217
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    Well I figured I would follow up. Found a boot store and was able to try most of these selectons on, and the lady that was helping me was great.

    I tried on a pair of whites that were pretty dang nice.

    Tried on a pair of Westco Jobmasters That were too small in a ten, to big in an eleven and the 10.5 was great but they only had it in the wide.

    I am sure that either of those would have been great boots, but would would have rather bought the westcos. She called wesco and they said it would be till June because they were on back order.

    Looked over saw a pair or Danner Super Rainforest. Looked nice tried them on they felt great.

    Now I own them.

    i am sure that I would have gotten used to the heel on those the whites and westcos, but the Danner heal is not as high.

    I am freaking stoked.
    Cool.

    I prefer the taller hell, but damned is a decent quality boot.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using TGR Forums
    Living vicariously through myself.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    10,883
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Nice. Sounds like a good store.
    The OP's location reads Arcata. I went to college there, getting a - that's right - forestry degree. This was in the 70s, and Humboldt County was transitioning from being a logging economy to...what it is. Anyway, back then there was a great shop on the NW corner of the plaza there that sold logging boots, and I was going to mention it but That was a long time ago and I was lazy and didn't want to sound like a rambling old dude. But...hey idiot, is that shop still there?

    [/ramblingolddude] Thanks for the opportunity to ramble on.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,943
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post

    I prefer the taller hell, but damned is a decent quality boot.
    I'm not sure boots are gonna help you much in hell.

  13. #38
    Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm not sure boots are gonna help you much in hell.
    good intentions hurt, softens the pain a wee bit

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    arcata
    Posts
    1,265
    Yeah meadowskipper my guess is that it is the same shop. Only they moved to the south east side of the plaza. They have their own cobbler and the lady said they will rebuild boots right there in the store.

    The lady was really helpful and threw in a pair of socks and some leather conditioner.
    Thanks again for all the help in this thread
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,217
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm not sure boots are gonna help you much in hell.
    When the Lower North Fork fire took off, my first thought was...I bet that's what hell looks like.

    My second thought was, people are going to die in this one...I just hope it isn't any of mine.
    Living vicariously through myself.

  16. #41
    VC's Avatar
    VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by brannen View Post
    Humboldt Co. eh? Ill be stationed up in Anderson soon. . .
    God speed, but their meth is top notch.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    Yeah meadowskipper my guess is that it is the same shop. Only they moved to the south east side of the plaza. They have their own cobbler and the lady said they will rebuild boots right there in the store.

    The lady was really helpful and threw in a pair of socks and some leather conditioner.
    Thanks again for all the help in this thread
    Danner Super Rainforest will make a great year round boot on the coast. I think you have to make sure you use a conditioner that is compatible with the goretex liner or you can clog up the pores. I can't remember what it is you are supposed to avoid though.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    314
    Just got my Hawthorn Smokejumpers today. Super comfortable and supportive. I'll admit, its my first "real" boot but so far, so good. Got them from Vickers Western Store in Pocatello. Great people to deal with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •